How Does A Farang Make Money- Isaan

Vegemite

Only one way of making DECENT MONEY in Essarn, is to buy a b-l-o-o-d-y good printer,
:o

Very true, unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any farang that has made a fortune in Isaan?

I can't think of anyone, apart from my mother-in-law(Thai).

She has a kindergarten and night club ABS(not the same place) and other things going on in Khon Kaen

None, the ones who do ok already have money invested abroad and live off the interest. Or let out property back home.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny u all should mention but was talking witht he guys here along the lines of 'what if...' i.e. what if the kibbutz falls apart etc etc and i will be old with no one to support me... so two guys offerred land to rent, build a small thai style house, and do 'guest house'... i'll drag in all the israelis looking for cheap travel.... wont u all love me then 55555555....

one area near nong khai, the other near udon thani areas....i tell u all what...

u build the house... i'll find the israelis, u give me commission, and u deal with the tourists at your end... i'll  deal with the flak when they come back home to gripe and complain (they always always do )...

just when i was getting excited about an idea.... havnt tourists discoverd issan yet?

I reckon that if you don't have the money or pension to stay here you should not be here. 8 years ago there were only a couple of farang bars in Udon. Harry's', Erwyn's and TG's. Now there are about 20 farang bars. This is because there have been too many farangs coming on holiday and thinking that a bar is the answere to thier financial problems. In Nong Khai there was at the last count, about 26 bars. Again farangs coming to town and thinking they can scratch a living by opening a bar. In most cases it's a shack. Most of these bars whether it be in Udon or Nong Khai are frequented by thier rivals, who take alternate nights off to go and spy on other bars. About 1% of farangs make it with bars. If they are truthful they will admit it. Look at the amount who have packed in and went home,it's too many to remember. Many young guys come here and try to settle with thier "two week" holiday t'luck when they should be back in thier own country paying into a pension for thier retirement years. (The small head rules)

I have said this before and many of the older residents have heard it also. There is only one way to leave Thailand with a small fortune. The answere is to come here with a BIG fortune. If there was a fortune to be made in Thailand it would be made by a Thai.

I bet there is a bit of slagging about this. Be truthful before you reply.

]

OK I am not slagging you off! But yes you can make money (Legally) I came here 3 years ago, I was skint. but only because I was saved from England’s drug culture, please let me explain. all my life I never had money, I sold my company to yahoo, my brother came to the UK and brought me to Thailand, why. Because the culture in the UK, and my inability to say no destroyed what I had.

The vultures moved in and took nearly everything I had, now I am in Thailand, and yes you can earn money but it is hard work for a farang, 10 times harder then a Thai!! but now I have a computer business aimed at farangs, I have now just got a small estate 14 kilometer from UdonThani, it has a swimming pool, 2 rooms, a small apartment, Bar, Restaurant. and 3 more rooms, I am booked up until near the end of August, and this is low season!. Please everybody keep in mind, if you need to earn money in Thailand you can, but you must work for it.

Purdy

Well theres a turn-up for the books! An actual falang sucess story?

funny u all should mention but was talking witht he guys here along the lines of 'what if...' i.e. what if the kibbutz falls apart etc etc and i will be old with no one to support me... so two guys offerred land to rent, build a small thai style house, and do 'guest house'... i'll drag in all the israelis looking for cheap travel.... wont u all love me then 55555555....

one area near nong khai, the other near udon thani areas....i tell u all what...

u build the house... i'll find the israelis, u give me commission, and u deal with the tourists at your end... i'll  deal with the flak when they come back home to gripe and complain (they always always do )...

just when i was getting excited about an idea.... havnt tourists discoverd issan yet?

I reckon that if you don't have the money or pension to stay here you should not be here. 8 years ago there were only a couple of farang bars in Udon. Harry's', Erwyn's and TG's. Now there are about 20 farang bars. This is because there have been too many farangs coming on holiday and thinking that a bar is the answere to thier financial problems. In Nong Khai there was at the last count, about 26 bars. Again farangs coming to town and thinking they can scratch a living by opening a bar. In most cases it's a shack. Most of these bars whether it be in Udon or Nong Khai are frequented by thier rivals, who take alternate nights off to go and spy on other bars. About 1% of farangs make it with bars. If they are truthful they will admit it. Look at the amount who have packed in and went home,it's too many to remember. Many young guys come here and try to settle with thier "two week" holiday t'luck when they should be back in thier own country paying into a pension for thier retirement years. (The small head rules)

I have said this before and many of the older residents have heard it also. There is only one way to leave Thailand with a small fortune. The answere is to come here with a BIG fortune. If there was a fortune to be made in Thailand it would be made by a Thai.

I bet there is a bit of slagging about this. Be truthful before you reply.

My girlfriend is a teacher in Udon and she says it is lousy for business, wants to live in BKK eventually. Yeah you are right Wee Jimmy, come to Thailand cashed up, or soon you cash out! :o

Well I haven't but then again I never tried to, so probably like many others we don't count. Sometimes profit doesn't come in the form of money, sometimes the true profit is being able to live with what you have in the manner that you want to live. My profit came with a retirement that when living here I don't have to supplement working 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

Mud Spa. I know it sounds crazy. Use the mud holes that water buffalo bathe in. I used to see bus loads of Japanese tourist hit these mud spas. No investment, high profits. Not sure it is still in. :o

You could also start a singing ice company. Add gas to the cubes so when they melt it sings a fine whistling song for the consumers. :D

good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

many Thai men take their mia noi (minor wife) to the chalets for a 'short time.'

I

So it's not a resort, it's a 'whore house'

There is no hotel, guesthouse, room for rent or anything here in Phon. I was thinking of opening a bar with rooms in the back and calling it "Mia Noi'.

Almost every guy with baht in his pocket has a girlfriend.

Maybe install secret cameras and sell pictures on the internet.... :o

Any business partners want in?

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cafe next to a dormitory/motel sort of place. We're right off the main highway in Surin. Their main customers are delivery drivers who can have a cheap stay (B150 fan/B200 air con). By delivery drivers I mean food/beverage distributors, etc.

Nothing's impossible, but be patient and selective about your location. It's probably a good thing to not show your farang face around the establishment often, because Thais will automatically think it's expensive or possibly just refuse to give you their business. Oh, and you can't own it unless you spend a lot of money..

There is no hotel, guesthouse, room for rent or anything here in Phon. I was thinking of opening a bar with rooms in the back and calling it "Mia Noi'.

Almost every guy with baht in his pocket has a girlfriend.

Maybe install secret cameras and sell pictures on the internet.... whistling.gif

Any business partners want in?

John

Might just work mate - a budding Chuwit!, the guy with videos of ............ sheet, I can't say.