Baby Cobras In The Garden

nicklyons67

Dear All,

We live in Phuket and need your assistance, as my landlord here I don't think is capable of handling this problem..

We have discovered 4 baby cobras in the garden (about 1 foot long) while the neighbour has found one, all in the last 10 days.

We realise there must be a nest around, and have been told that sulphur is not a deterrent. Who do we call please as obviously there's a lot more than 5 cobras to a nest, and then of course there's the mother. Is there a pest control / rescue service I can call?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Mature cobras are territorial and most will move on though I doubt that is much of a comfort you to know. I would think that informing some locals would be a good way to get them as they are quite good eating for them..

Actually I just noticed this is the teaching forum, maybe this is not the best forum to post this in? Maybe the Phuket forum or something?

Edited by WarpSpeed

I posted this guy's number 4 years ago but believe he is still in business so to speak.

There is a charity called the Phuket Raum Jai Rescue Foundation which specializes in catching snakes (and other dangerous critters) FOR FREE !!!.

I used them once and they were very good.

Contact Khun Sayan Tammapant at 076-283346 / 076-355175

I believe he does not speak much English so get a Thai to call.

good point grumpy old man

i had a cobra in the garden for a period last year, the local gardener came round with a big lump of bamboo to bang it on the head (sorry all you who think its wrong, but it was the best and quickest action with a crawling baby around), unfortunately the snake bolted to a place where the gardner couldn't reach it but within a few days we never saw it again, touch wood of course. i read after though that if you don't disturb them they wont bother you, that is easier said then done of course.

best of luck and stay vigilant! :)

Thanks Guys - especially Baabaabobo, something for free that doesn't involve killing them, sounds the best option to me.

Sean - yeah have seen the locals bop them on the head for me, and without being too soft, I feel the cobras didn't really warrant an early death!! Then again, rather the cobra gets it than my 2 kids...

I took out a metre long cobra in a garden myself some years ago in Kata. One could argue over killing it or not but having a cobra living around in a housing area with many people and kids can quickly turn into a fatal situation. In the wilderness I would never have killed one.

What you should be aware of is that there are various species of cobras here. Some are spitting cobras and for an untrained eye you will not be able to see if this is the case or not. Killing one of these and you should do it with extreme cautions. Wear glasses or just let it flee. It will with over 90 % accuracy hit your eyes with its poison from 1.5 metre away. Nearly 100% accuracy within 60 centimetres. From severe pain to blindness is the result if poisin reaching into your eyes.

Been in my new house for two days and just chased a green tree snake away from near the back door.

Good luck with your cobras. :)

Tree snakes are harmless mate and for everyone you see there are probably a 100 you don't

Cobras in a garden are a different matter especially with children and pets, they are not naturally

aggressive and.will leave you alone if you leave them alone and are there because something they

like to eat is there, get rid of the food source and the snakes will go.

As previously mentioned there is a organization that will remove the snakes for free although i expect they would appreciate a small donation.

I leave them alone and they go away. They usually hiss to warn you they are there. But my dog doesn't like them though and she grabs them by the tail and rips them in two or throws them against the wall, head first. I haven't seen any in a while now, but they seem to out more during the rainy season... Probably because the frogs come out then too, which they eat as mentioned before.

The problem that comes to mind with the snake catcher is, by the time he gets there the snake will probably be gone. Here's one my dog didn't want to mess with:

post-44146-024852900 1278304582_thumb.jp

Edited by Jimi007

I've lost two dogs due to snake bites (hunting dogs that instinctively go after them when spotted). Two weeks ago I had a baby black cobra slither by my foot from about 2 metres away, and the very next day I saw a large one from upstairs, but by the time I got dowstairs it was hidden away in a hedge. I think the prevalence of the snakes is due to the jungle piece of land next door being leveled and all greenery removed.

I've lost two dogs due to snake bites (hunting dogs that instinctively go after them when spotted). Two weeks ago I had a baby black cobra slither by my foot from about 2 metres away, and the very next day I saw a large one from upstairs, but by the time I got dowstairs it was hidden away in a hedge. I think the prevalence of the snakes is due to the jungle piece of land next door being leveled and all greenery removed.

I don't encourage my dog to go after them by any means. She's a southern Thai dog, looks like a Dingo. She runs at 40 KPH. She was distracting this cobra as I took it's picture. But she though better than attacking this one and let this one go...

I don't encourage my dog to go after them by any means. She's a southern Thai dog, looks like a Dingo. She runs at 40 KPH. She was distracting this cobra as I took it's picture. But she though better than attacking this one and let this one go...

I never encouraged my dogs to go after snakes either, but dogo argentinos have a strong prey drive. Hopefully you can post that picture of the cobra.

The rain washes off the Sulphur. And the snakes need to sun themselves.

So after a rain, the snakes comes out. So watch your kids and your dogs.

And I know its useless to suggest it. Rodents and insects loves a warm house. So its natural they will be in your house, and snakes are attacted to any house with rodents. Especially in hot humid Asia.

But other then that, there isnt much to do except to be vigilant. A good neighbour that knows how to kill and eat snakes, is kinda a bonus.

I never encouraged my dogs to go after snakes either, but dogo argentinos have a strong prey drive. Hopefully you can post that picture of the cobra.

Check post #15 on this thread for the picture. I guess I should have reduced the size, but I couldn't edit once it was posted for some reason.

The rain washes off the Sulphur. And the snakes need to sun themselves.

So after a rain, the snakes comes out. So watch your kids and your dogs.

And I know its useless to suggest it. Rodents and insects loves a warm house. So its natural they will be in your house, and snakes are attacted to any house with rodents. Especially in hot humid Asia.

But other then that, there isnt much to do except to be vigilant. A good neighbour that knows how to kill and eat snakes, is kinda a bonus.

Actually the snakes are a good thing, they eliminate vermin, but they are potentially deadly to humans and dogs as well. Humans have encroached on the snakes natural habitat, not the other way around... I don't have mice or rats here but there are plenty of toads and frogs in the wet season. And as Karen posted; their holes where they nest get flooded and they come out more in the wet season... I used to kill them but I don't any longer. I bring my dog in and the cobra or other species just move on. I've had at least three variety's of venomous snakes at my house as well as other nonvenomous snakes...

Edited by Jimi007

Actually the snakes are a good thing, they eliminate vermin, but they are potentially deadly to humans and dogs as well. Humans have encroached on the snakes natural habitat, not the other way around... I don't have mice or rats here but there are plenty of toads and frogs in the wet season. And as Karen posted; their holes where they nest get flooded and they come out more in the wet season... I used to kill them but I don't any longer. I bring my dog in and the cobra or other species just move on. I've had at least three variety's of venomous snakes at my house as well as other nonvenomous snakes...

I agree with the sentiments regards to the terroritory issues. It couldnt be helped. We humans are horrible.

As a nanny/maternal instinct kinda person, and having the responsibility to ensure safety of some people.....its kinda well......its better they die, then my people under my charge gets hurt/die. But I rather the snakes die for a reasonable cause....like being eaten....and that eating them will benefits some kids to grow stronger.

I remember having some kinda wine that was used to soak a snake, applied on my festered knees and that stopped the festering and healed that knee.

Maybe can recommend such neighbours that kills the snake to sell the dead snake to chinese medicinal shop.