The Subject Is Ants

Aviador

Back in the States I did have some ants around my home every spring. Carpenter ants, big bold and ######-bent on digesting the frame work of my house, as well as some sugar ants. (or whatever they were called) A few ant traps placed at strategic locations usually alleviated the problem in short notice, because the industrious suckers carried the delicious morsels into their nest to feed the queen. Bingo….No more ants all summer :D . But, long live the king, who most likely escaped, to find himself another princess to start the entire litany over again with the first rays of sunshine in May. My ex wife used to go bananas if she so much saw an ant or other crawling being. If she lived here, she would well be in the loony bin by now. :D

But honstlty here in LOS ! My gawd, I can’t believe it. Gigantic termites, huge crawling ants, flying ants, big ants, ferocious looking medium size ants, smaller ants and those microscopic tiny tiny suckers who are into everything. I purchased some “ant poison” whose instructions are, (in English no less). Follow the trail where the ants enter the house and sprinkle….etc. :o The problem is, they don’t “enter” per say, (at least not visible to the human eye, even with bi-focals) They appear instantly out of nowhere, the moment one leaves a piece of bread, a grain of sugar or whatever on the table, windowsill, washing machine, even the toilet bowl cover for only a second and :“Geronimo, heeere we come, dinnertime fellows” :D . I am convinced there must be tiny balloons, airplanes or even flying saucers from outer space, suspended stationary all around the house, just waiting to release the troops on tiny parachutes. I wrapped and taped sugar cubes, into a plastic, bag after dumping 80 % of “infected” stuff in the trash. I do not use sugar in my coffee, but after having guests the other morning I discovered that perhaps I had missed some of those little creatures, (maybe a male and a female) because they hat multiplied, happily gorging themselves without any means of escape. :D

Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of these pests, without burning the entire house down ?

Don’t suggest calling an exterminator. I tried that 2 weeks ago, nobody showed up. (what else is new and neither did the washing machine repair man).

Just another day of trials and tribulation in the LOS, but I am getting the hang of it.(I think)

Greets the ol’ Capt.

Try these links

http://www.ehow.com/how_3791_rid-ants-naturally.html

http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html

http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

By getting rid of do you mean "chase away" or "exterminate".

I have found Boric Acid Powder as an effective killer, whereas Garlic certainly keeps them away from areas.

Cheers

:D "chase away" or "exterminate" ??

No contest.eliminate, banish, do away with, eraticate, abolish, remove, reduce curb. I think I ran out of expletives. :D

URL # 1. states:

Determine why they are entering your property and eliminate the food, water and/or housing that they need to survive

Why ?? I don't know. Never thought to ask one. (Would you ask a burglar, why he is in your bedroom at 2 AM ?)

Tightly wrap and store food set out on kitchen counters

While I am eating it ? I can hear their foosteps whilst dining :D

Remove pools of standing water. Ants get thirsty too.

This is the rainy season in Thailand. :D (Just imagine if I had a swimmimg pool :D

Seal up cracks. The least toxic method is 100 percent silicon caulk.

My windows and door are open 24/7 except for sreens. It's the tropics Sherlock.

I love this one:

Fire ants aside if you can tolerate some ants they are fascinating to watch.

I have neither the time nor desire to watch the supposedly cute little critters. :o

Mix together in a container that will not be used for anything else:

4 ounces of peanut butter

4 ounces of sugar

4 ounces of boric acid

I did that, but:

They did prefer "Skippie's crunchy peanut butter"

adored the sugar and got hi on boric acid.

Afterwards all the garlic was gone too.

Perverts, I tell you, perverts.

Greets the ol' Capt.

Get the little fluorescent green plastic boxes at Tesco's. Pour the contents of the small pouch into the box. Ants come in minutes and feast . They bring back all the rest to the nest and it gets destroyed as well. I believe RDN has bought those as well and posted pics of this little device at work in a previous topic.

The subject was also "ants" in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=364447

I use "Ant Rid" which does exactly that, although the ants did come back about a week later, but one more dose got rid of them too. That was about three weeks ago, maybe four.

The other stuff - for outside the house - is Aswin powder. It comes in a yellow can. Useful for getting rid of ants that set up house in or under plant pots. I dropped some around outside a few weeks ago, and in the morning the front of the house looked like a war zone - dead bodies everywhere. It's also useful to sprinkle it along ant runs - the places where the ants usually walk.

Of course, the problem with getting rid of them outside is that you end up with dead flies, moths, beetles and millipedes etc, because there aren't any ants left to cart off the bodies. You pays your money and takes your choice, I guess. :o

Get the little fluorescent green plastic boxes at Tesco's. Pour the contents of the small pouch into the box. Ants come in minutes and feast . They bring back all the rest to the nest and it gets destroyed as well. I believe RDN has bought those as well and posted pics of this little device at work in a previous topic.

:D:D - we cross-posted! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I got into Kathu a couple of weeks ago & thought I would check out the other little house inthe soi I bought & just recently renovated.

Got inside & thought Yes this looks good & proceeded to switch on the light........BANG!!!.....WHATS THAT!!

Yep the place was finished a month ago & the Termites had moved in thinking WOW I can smell fresh lunch & started to eat the new wiring etc.

Called in the Terminator Termite Man & 8000 Bt later the place was sterile & for the money he comes back once a month for the next year for an inspection & termination.

Ive had the wiring sorted & now Im in the touch up mode. :o