New Cameras/Speed Traps Around Bangkok

Bobr

I see they have put up some camera warning signs on Highway 7 leading into Bangkok. Have they really installed any new system. 2 trips ago, they nailed me legitimately when I stopped for the toll booth near the airport, They said I was doing 167, but I was really doing closer to 180. It only cost me 900 baht, they gave me a receipt even though I said I did not care about getting one, and they were very friendly and polite about it. Last Sunday morning I was again stopped at a toll booth on the upper level of highway 34 and told I was doing 122. That's not even very fast for that highway. The Thai I was with ( who is the widow of a ranking police officer) talked the officer into letting me go, but it's those dam_n cameras again. I had asked if I could just pay the fine there on the freeway instead of going to the station and he said no, and then he handed the 1000 baht bill back to me and let me go (that's got to be a first). I even invited him to keep the money for his trouble but he insisted on giving it back. Now I really am confused.

Does anyone know what is going on with the highways around Bangkok, they used to be one of the few places I could enjoy driving fast with reasonable safety.

Edited by Bobr

I have no problems with speed cameras on bigger Bangkok / around Bangkok roads and roads with heavier traffic. The speed differences do kill people every day in Thailand. I don't want to see them on less traffic upcountry roads though

he said no, and then he handed the 1000 baht bill back to me and let me go (that's got to be a first).

Absolutely not, it has happened me quite a few times that the police simply didn't want money

I love to speed on wide open highways with no side streets and I've never had an accident doing so, It's the idiots who speed in heavy traffic weaving in and out, or those who do it on smaller streets with many side streets that cause the problems. A good skillful driver who is speeding carefully is still better than a bad one wandering all over the road at a mind boggling slow speed and forcing everyone else on the road to try to get around him.

I would not even think about driving on the wrong side of the street or blowing through red signals like so many Thai drivers seem to do.

I love to speed on wide open highways with no side streets and I've never had an accident doing so, It's the idiots who speed in heavy traffic weaving in and out, or those who do it on smaller streets with many side streets that cause the problems. A good skillful driver who is speeding carefully is still better than a bad one wandering all over the road at a mind boggling slow speed and forcing everyone else on the road to try to get around him.

I would not even think about driving on the wrong side of the street or blowing through red signals like so many Thai drivers seem to do.

I love a "once a while" full throttle. Its good for the car as well if you are stuck in traffic most of the week. To me the worst drivers are those who drive well below the speed limit on the fast lanes! The overtaking on the inside is the dangerous part. But "hey hey" they just wont move. Mostly on inbound tollways with up country license plates.

The confusing thing with the Speed Limits are that on the Bangkok Express ways the Limit is 120 kph. Go past the speed camera heading out of town on the upper stage expressway towards Chonburi (past Bangna) and they will stop you and fine you for speeding if going faster than 120 Kph. However, the illuminated signs always read 80 kph.

I speed regularly too, and think nothing of driving on the expressway / tollway / Motorway at 140 kph to 160 kph when the roads are quiet and the weather is good.

Does Pnow love a "once a while" full throttle 5 times more than everyone else ???

:rofl:

He or she is under the impression that there are "fast lanes". What ever passes for a driving test in his/her country ??::huh:

^The inside lane is supposed to be the passing or "fast lane" and even if you're doing the speed limit you are not supposed to "travel" in that lane it's supposed to be for passing only and that is true with Thai traffic laws as well as most every other civilized country with a modern highway system.. It's not only a safety issue to travel in that lane but it is not up to you to control the speed of other drivers so move over when your passing is clear........

Edited by WarpSpeed

Was getting some useful info from my limo driver last week regarding the speed cameras on motorway 7.

He said that the cameras is placed around Km marker 20-21-22 Bangkok bound and 21-22 Pattaya bound. He also said that the cameras only monitor the right hand lane, so stay in lane 3 and your fine:-)

Hope this is helpful info for us who like to "open up" now and again :P

If you keep your wits about you you will nearly always see on-coming traffic flashing their light to warn about the cops. This has saved me being tigged on many occasions.

^The inside lane is supposed to be the passing or "fast lane" and even if you're doing the speed limit you are not supposed to "travel" in that lane it's supposed to be for passing only and that is true with Thai traffic laws as well as most every other civilized country with a modern highway system.. It's not only a safety issue to travel in that lane but it is not up to you to control the speed of other drivers so move over when your passing is clear........

It's the outside lane that is for overtaking, although in Thailand it is allowed in any lane if there are 3 or more lanes on the road.

I blew past a highway cop car doing 170+ on the Uttarapimuk last month. No reaction. Just before that I hit 240...

I asked my wife what happens if we get snapped by a speed cam. Is the car registered at a specific address? She said no.

When she registered the car at Bang Na, no address was asked. No address in the blue book that I can see, but it is in her name.

So any fine arising from a speed cam....disappears.

It's the outside lane that is for overtaking, although in Thailand it is allowed in any lane if there are 3 or more lanes on the road.

In LHD countries like TH, Outside = left, Inside = right.

I blew past a highway cop car doing 170+ on the Uttarapimuk last month. No reaction. Just before that I hit 240...

I asked my wife what happens if we get snapped by a speed cam. Is the car registered at a specific address? She said no.

When she registered the car at Bang Na, no address was asked. No address in the blue book that I can see, but it is in her name.

Not so. In the event of any driver-unknown traffic offence (speeding, red light camera, hit and run etc), the law makes it the vehicle owner's sole responsibility, unless they or a witness can prove someone else was driving. Any unpaid traffic fines will ultimately turn into arrest warrants.

In fact, the depth of the data they have on seemingly everyone is quite impressive - my wife was the victim of a hit and run a few years back (car-to-car), but fortunately was able to get the license plate number before they fled the scene. When we went to the nearest police station to report the incident, we were sat down in front of a computer that showed us high-res pictures of the vehicle owner, their entire family, their business associates, and everyone that has ever shared a registered address with the owner or member of their immediate family.. We're talking more than 150 'suspect' photos here. We fingered the guy responsible (not the owner btw) and they had him and the vehicle owner back at the station and all sorted out the next day..

In LHD countries like TH, Outside = left, Inside = right.

Not so. In the event of any driver-unknown traffic offence (speeding, red light camera, hit and run etc), the law makes it the vehicle owner's sole responsibility, unless they or a witness can prove someone else was driving. Any unpaid traffic fines will ultimately turn into arrest warrants.

In fact, the depth of the data they have on seemingly everyone is quite impressive - my wife was the victim of a hit and run a few years back (car-to-car), but fortunately was able to get the license plate number before they fled the scene. When we went to the nearest police station to report the incident, we were sat down in front of a computer that showed us high-res pictures of the vehicle owner, their entire family, their business associates, and everyone that has ever shared a registered address with the owner or member of their immediate family.. We're talking more than 150 'suspect' photos here. We fingered the guy responsible (not the owner btw) and they had him and the vehicle owner back at the station and all sorted out the next day..

very true, they even have the fingerprints (from id cards) of each one of them in the computers. Whenever BIB want to investegate, they have tools most policeforces would envy them

and every vehicle owner in LOS should know theyr responsibility. any action done with your vehicle, owner is responsible unless able to provide several reliable witnesses of innocence

They should put some on the Ram-Intra expressway on the weekends.

Every Sunday afternoon the rich and not so famous kids race their ferraris etc along there. (yes I am jealous).

bib dont want cameras, they want to collect fines in person from these racers. YES I AM YEALOUS TOO

Is this like a male penis envy thing or something? IMHO I suggest your Mrs is as ill informed as you about driving safety. LOL.

Are you being cheeky and I missed the icon? I beg to differ, that is incorrect and why you will see large trucks and other slower commercial vehicles in that lane especially when you travel late at night and as soon as they pass a slower truck they move over as required..

Edited by WarpSpeed

and why you will see large trucks and other slower commercial vehicles in that lane especially when you travel late at night and as soon as they pass a slower truck they move over as required..

I wish they did. Often they remain in right lane, so 20% of my "overtaking" is on left side. Reason for large trucks to remain in right lane is that left lane is damaged by overloaded trucks

and why you will see large trucks and other slower commercial vehicles in that lane especially when you travel late at night and as soon as they pass a slower truck they move over as required..

I wish they did. Often they remain in right lane, so 20% of my "overtaking" is on left side. Reason for large trucks to remain in right lane is that left lane is damaged by overloaded trucks

I don't know how often you travel long distances late at night I prefer to as the traffic is lighter and the air cooler but they most certainly do stay left most times while traveling between destinations. It's a regular convoy and quite surprising of course, they do pass each other and with trucks being restricted like they are here it is sometimes a very slow and painful process to follow one while it's passing and they do manage to do it at the worst times it seems and it also sucks when they end up half overtaking and realize they can't complete the pass because of an incline or something and they ride right next to each other but they do certainly stay left most of the time. You can dispute that if you must but clearly you'd just be talking <deleted> as I've personally seen it on countless occasions, so telling me the sky is red when I can see with my own eyes it's blue is pointless..

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>and why you will see large trucks and other slower commercial vehicles in that lane especially when you travel late at night and as soon as they pass a slower truck they move over as required..<BR>
<BR><BR>I wish they did. Often they remain in right lane, so 20% of my "overtaking" is on left side. Reason for large trucks to remain in right lane is that left lane is damaged by overloaded trucks<BR>
<BR>I don't know how often you travel long distances late at night I prefer to as the traffic is lighter and the air cooler but they most certainly do stay left most times while traveling between destinations. It's a regular convoy and quite surprising of course, they do pass each other and with trucks being restricted like they are here it is sometimes a very slow and painful process to follow one while it's passing and they do manage to do it at the worst times it seems and it also sucks when they end up half overtaking and realize they can't complete the pass because of an incline or something and they ride right next to each other but they do certainly stay left most of the time. You can dispute that if you must but clearly you'd just be talking &lt;deleted&gt; as I've personally seen it on countless occasions, so telling me the sky is red when I can see with my own eyes it's blue is pointless..<BR>
<BR><BR>60-80k km a year since 2005. In 2003 and 04 only 40k km a year. 90 % highway, ride bike locally. Each trip 650 km or longer, at least 4 times a month. Cruisingspeed 140-160kmh depending on load and conditions (rain). As said 20% of overtaking is left side due to trucks in right lane.<BR>