Taking Care Of Thai Child - Impossible?

1) Until 2 months ago I had 1 year extension based on marriage to Thai wife

2) Wife took off 8 months ago and left me with our child (4 years old)

3) Started divorce and custody proceedings in November 2009

4) I went to 4 court hearings with my lawyer, one delay after another, wife never showed up in court

5) 2 months ago applied for 1 year extension based on taking care of Thai child. Got only 2 months as I was not divorced

6) 3 days ago applied for it again. This time got 3 weeks until after the next court hearing July 21

7) Each time these "extension" cost 1900Baht and cost of lawyer last time who also could not negotiate better extension terms

8) Cannot predict what happens in court July 21, may be a divorce, may be another delay. Remember I cannot go to the amphur office to get

a divorce as Thai wife is not available

9) I also have a work permit valid until May 2011. To use work permit as base for extension I was told I had to leave the country and apply for it elsewhere.

Well, I cannot just pack and go as 1) I work and 2) I look after my son every day

10) May be it is best to leave my child at the Chiangmai Immigration Office so they can take care of him while I leave the county and come back when he is a grown up so he can support me in my old age.

What has the divorce to do with taking care of a thai child? The fact is that I take care of the thai child - with or without a divorce but I need to live and work in this country as a responsible parent.

Any further advice? Thanks

You can ask for sole custody over the child without the divorce, but there must be a pressing need. Ask your lawyer about this.

Your work permit is only valid if you work for the boss mentioned in the WP, you don't seem to work. If you are still working and earn 50,000 a month you can get an extension of stay based on your work, without the need to leave the country.

2.26 In the case of litigation or judicial proceeding:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Proof of involvement in litigation or judicial proceedings as complainant, the aggrieved party, accused, plaintiff, defendant or witness.

9) I also have a work permit valid until May 2011. To use work permit as base for extension I was told I had to leave the country and apply for it elsewhere.

Well, I cannot just pack and go as 1) I work and 2) I look after my son every day

Do you work at home?

If not, do you take your son to work with you while you work?

If you don't work at home and you don't take your son to work with you, then who takes care of your son while you go to work?

Also, your job/work can't be without you at all? If that is the case, how were you able to go to court and not be at work?

You painted yourself into a corner when YOU limit your options.

If the wife doesn't show up and she left your child with you, then I think you SHOULD request sole custody. You will sooner or later run into trouble with that you can't get passport etc without the mothers signature. And she can come back later harassing you. You will eventually get sole custody if the mother does not show up but there may be more delays. I am surprised about the delays in the divorce actually

As Mario2008 says, you have a valid work permit until May 2011 - no mentioning about the more important part, visa extensions based on it. If you are still working and paying tax for minimum 50,000 bath, why do you apply for visa for taking care of the child?

If you're not working and paying tax, then you should cancel the work permit.

Do you work at home?

If you don't work at home and you don't take your son to work with you, then who takes care of your son while you go to work?

Also, your job/work can't be without you at all? If that is the case, how were you able to go to court and not be at work?

I work 6 days a week as a manager in a spa. My son goes 6 days a school to nursery, I bring him there and pick him up. I don't understand the question, but anyway.

Managing a spa you would most likely have a heap of willing baby sitters. No issue for day care at 100 Baht a day but would advise against that.

What about her parents? Are they contesting custody in the background you are not aware of??

If you have proof of marriage and the documents from the Amphur Office then go get you son a passport from you country immediately. Then you have the option to get on a plane and leave without difficulty.

Continue to document all correspondence and attempts to get in touch with her. If you have enough evidence the court will not need to delay the custodial hearing. You can get divorced later as already stated by another member.

Lastly - what sort of woman walks away from her child - sounds like wrong choice in the first place.

Take care - good luck.

Managing a spa you would most likely have a heap of willing baby sitters. No issue for day care at 100 Baht a day but would advise against that.

What about her parents? Are they contesting custody in the background you are not aware of??

If you have proof of marriage and the documents from the Amphur Office then go get you son a passport from you country immediately. Then you have the option to get on a plane and leave without difficulty.

Continue to document all correspondence and attempts to get in touch with her. If you have enough evidence the court will not need to delay the custodial hearing. You can get divorced later as already stated by another member.

Lastly - what sort of woman walks away from her child - sounds like wrong choice in the first place.

Take care - good luck.

A Thai woman walks away from her child!!! they do that a lot!!

Do you work at home?

I work 6 days a week as a manager in a spa. My son goes 6 days a school to nursery, I bring him there and pick him up. I don't understand the question, but anyway.

TrippleJoke has so much understanding for your position that he wants to cheer you up. Don't try to understand nice people like that. Wish you luck in securing custody of your son. Regards

Edited by hansnoi

Take care - good luck.

A Thai woman walks away from her child!!! they do that a lot!!

The best is when they split two children up and leave one bewildered heartbroken half Thai child behind with out there other sibling and mother, i've witnessed that. It's amazing it seems totally incomprehendable to a westerner. in her defence the father was an extremely arrogant ozzy sports bar owner.

Do you work at home?

Since you are still married, why not get an extension based on marriage until the divorce is final?

What about a 90 day extension based on judicial proceeding (Post #11)?

How about crossing the border to get an extension based on work as suggested? Yes, take days off from work even if you can't or won't.

The bottom line is TIME or MONEY. If you don't have the time, be prepared to spend some money to have someone do it for you.

If you currently don't know where you wife is, then you might want to file a missing person report and a child neglect or abandonment. You need to attack it from all angles. The paperwork trail will also help in the divorce hearing. A smart lawyer should have already done this. (You might just want to ask your current lawyer if he/she knows a better lawyer.)

Edited by tripplejjj

Since you are still married, why not get an extension based on marriage until the divorce is final?

Perhaps because of the de facto requirement?

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;