Before I Contact Pwa ...

Before I contact the water company about my current bill, I want to make sure it's a legitimate concern.

For months, my usage has varied between three and four cubic meters. Without fail.

The number on the meter now reads: 0033850 with the first four digits (including the zeroes) in black on white, with the last three digits in red.

My previous bill shows a reading of 30 and a usage of 4.000 cubic meters.

It makes sense to me that the current bill should be showing 33 and a usage of 3 cubic meters, not 38 for a usage of 8.000.

Did the meter reader make a mistake and take the red eight as part of the full reading, and somehow missed the first three?

It doesn't make any huge difference in the payment, but I like accuracy. Should I try contacting the company?

Or is it my mistake?

I'm sure you figured out the black/white numbers are the whole units (cubic meters) of water and the red numbers are the tenths, hundreds and thousandths of cubic meters. If you open a tap and go out and look at the meter you should see the red number farthest to the right spinning.

Typically a meter reader will round up to the next whole cubic meter(at least that's what our guys do) so a reading of say 0033850.578 would be read as 0033851 cubic meters.

When my meter is read and a new invoice generated by the hand held PC the invoice shows only the last three whole digits read on the meter and the total cubic meters used. The PC holds in memory the previous last meter reading. The device just calculates the new total.

Here is a scan of my last invoice.

post-20917-094811100 1278147454_thumb.jp

You can see a meter reading of 660 and a total usage of 11,000 which is the cubic meters used this period. I know from my last invoice the reading at that time was 649 and so my 11 units used and invoiced.

I hope this helps you understand you're meter and reading

I'm sure you figured out the black/white numbers are the whole units (cubic meters) of water and the red numbers are the tenths, hundreds and thousandths of cubic meters. If you open a tap and go out and look at the meter you should see the red number farthest to the right spinning.

That's pretty much what I figured. As I said, my numbers were white on black 0033 followed by red on white 850

There's a spinning dial below it all.

So my original understanding was correct - my current reading is thirty three, not thirty eight. The meter reader either mistook the last three for an eight, or used the red eight.

I took a photo this afternoon, so it shows that I've used a bit of water since the reading 0033944. (94 litres I think 944-850=94)

post-77830-047785100 1278154846_thumb.jp

Typically a meter reader will round up to the next whole cubic meter(at least that's what our guys do) so a reading of say 0033850.578 would be read as 0033851 cubic meters.

When my meter is read and a new invoice generated by the hand held PC the invoice shows only the last three whole digits read on the meter and the total cubic meters used. The PC holds in memory the previous last meter reading. The device just calculates the new total.

Here is a scan of my last invoice.

post-20917-094811100 1278147454_thumb.jp

You can see a meter reading of 660 and a total usage of 11,000 which is the cubic meters used this period. I know from my last invoice the reading at that time was 649 and so my 11 units used and invoiced.

I woke up today and re-read what I posted,,,,I said the reading on my meter equaled 11,000 cubic meters and I should have said 11 cubic meters or 11,000 liters as we all know that a cubic meter of liquid is 1,000 liters. No one nailed me so I get a free one.

I think you are correct in guessing that the meter reader made an error. I would say most people never look at their meters and have no clue. Getting them to admit it was an error might be a trick but a trip to the water office may be needed

Now that was quick. Mistaken reading was Friday afternoon, I sent off an email shortly after realizing the problem, and now, Monday just after noon, water meter guy rides up on his bike. I see him and show him the bill with a reading lower than is currently on the meter. We "discuss" the situation - i.e. I say a little in English and he says something in Thai. He also has a short telephone conversation, maybe with the water office?

Anyway, I think it's all resolved. At least they won't think that somehow next month the meter is running backwards!

Not sure if they're going to issue me a new bill, or somehow make the correction on next month's, but I'm a happy account payer!