Americans Doing Ach Transfers To Bangkok Bank New York

Yes, you get the "Buying TT" rate (with TT standing for TELEX TRANSFER which was in place before SWIFT). Actually, only SWIFT formats are used for these internal transfers, not the actual SWIFT network.

If you look at our website (www.bangkokbank.com) and select EXCHANGE RATES from the dropdown list at the top, today you would see this rate (in blue) because you will be buying THB at a slightly higher rate (the THB is high) compared to selling for an outbound transfer. The difference between the Buy and Sell is the Spread.

CurrencyDescriptionBank NoteBuying RatesSelling Rates

Bill-DD-TTBuying RatesSelling RatesSight BillTTUSD1USD : 131.3132.69USD5USD : 5-2031.6232.69USD50USD : 50-10032.0932.7432.2432.3432.59GBPUnited Kingdom48.4450.0648.6875048.8150049.50500

Yes, you get the "Buying TT" rate (with TT standing for TELEX TRANSFER which was in place before SWIFT). Actually, only SWIFT formats are used for these internal transfers, not the actual SWIFT network.

If you look at our website (www.bangkokbank.com) and select EXCHANGE RATES from the dropdown list at the top, today you would see this rate (in blue) because you will be buying THB at a slightly higher rate (the THB is high) compared to selling for an outbound transfer. The difference between the Buy and Sell is the Spread.

CurrencyDescriptionBank NoteBuying RatesSelling Rates

Bill-DD-TTBuying RatesSelling RatesSight BillTTUSD1USD : 131.3132.69USD5USD : 5-2031.6232.69USD50USD : 50-10032.0932.7432.2432.3432.59GBPUnited Kingdom48.4450.0648.6875048.8150049.50500

Hi 'ianguygil' - The Yanks and The Brits seem to be seeing very different charges from their (local) end. We UK are seeing 20 GBP which is I THINK about 5 more GBP than a Nationwide SWIFT transfer, I will check. But Bangkok Bank are saying they are not using SWIFT. This makes no sense in terms of the charges.

Why the difference? - I Think the US guys are saying 3 USD charge from their 'local' end.

Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York, USA I have two accounts with them here. I transfer online from Bank of America to Bangkok Bank NY. Usually $2,000. B of A charges me $3, Bangkok Bank NY charges $5, Bangkok Bank in Bangkok charges me 200 Baht. But Monday, I got 32.41 Baht to the dollar. Pretty good rate! I don't know if they have a branch in the UK though. Just checked their exchange rate today and it's 32.14 buying the dollar. 32.43 for buying TT.

I was WRONG - The Brits are now also charged 20 GBP from Nationwide, I literally just checked. To my very best knowledge the two mechanisms are equal except the SWIFT payment makes the next day, not a week and a half later.

Edited by pkrv

Reading further at £20 plus the charge at the bank plus the 0.25%, plus the other charges, when transferring £1000 or less at a time I worked out that a Prepaid Escape Travel Card (google - fx rates on the site) offers best value, faster (if you have the card here) and no hassle.

I explained how it works earlier in this thread. But clearly BBL cannot control how much other banks charge to send us the funds (via BACS or ACH) in deregulated markets like the US and UK. We can just state how much our charges are and those are clear on the website. I keep seeing different scenarios, with different amounts of money involved. Definitely an International transfer, especially if SWIFT, may not be the cheapest for a couple of hundred US. Using an ATM card is probably the cheapest way for that. But once you get into the thousands it is definitely cheaper. And as we use our internal network of branches for the UK/US to Thailand part we can offer a low cost, efficient and timely service.

I can not comment on other Thai banks as clearly I do not use them. But I do use some US banks and it always works fine for me.

If you need some specific help please PM me. Thank you.

Good luck.

$5,000 transfer from US. Sent from US $4,990 by Bangkok Bank New York. Exchange rate 32.30. Fee Bangkok Bank Thailand 402 baht. Credit into account 160,774.06 Baht.

Hi 'lopburi3' - As a matter of interest how long did the end to end process take for you (US)?

BTW you are seeing different charges from the Thai end, than we see from the UK - we see 500 THB.

Odd.

Reading further at £20 plus the charge at the bank plus the 0.25%, plus the other charges, when transferring £1000 or less at a time I worked out that a Prepaid Escape Travel Card (google - fx rates on the site) offers best value, faster (if you have the card here) and no hassle.

Hi 'mattcodes' - sorry this is such tricky stuff and I do not dispute what you’re saying but if you are talking about the UK Bangkok Bank transfer where did you get the 0.25% figure from?

I saw 20 GBP UK end - 500 THB Thai end and TT rate.

Yes for smaller amounts be creative!

For a long time I used Nationwide for cash withdrawals, and I still do on holidays outside of Thailand. I now am switching to my Bangkok Bank Debit card and Cash point card within Thailand.

Basically because I needed to transfer cash anyway to pay Juristic so sent over a largish chunk and will now use the local Bangkok Bank (I am UK based BTW).

It is just more cost effective in my position.

The Thai end is .0025% of the converted amount in the range 200-500 baht so will vary with the amount transferred when doing a few thousand.

I made the ACH with US bank on Tuesday afternoon Bangkok time and was in account Thursday morning at about 0910 (SMS sent time). This is the same for every transfer I have made.

The Thai end is .0025% of the converted amount in the range 200-500 baht so will vary with the amount transferred when doing a few thousand.

I made the ACH with US bank on Tuesday afternoon Bangkok time and was in account Thursday morning at about 0910 (SMS sent time). This is the same for every transfer I have made.

Ahh that makes things more clear - It appears that there is a cap of 500 THB. I am afraid that Bangkok Banks website for the UK is really, really and I mean really out of date.

But that may shortly be fixed - we shall see.

For us brits 8 working days.

Just to clarify!! The BBL the website : BBL Info is actually correct.

The charges are GBP 15 and no charges on the other end, but the money will be converted in the UK before sending.

The confusion with the GBP 20, 0.25% charges in Thailand (cap at BHT 500) and converted to TT was when a customer send a slightly larger amount using the method advertised on the page. Obviously at a certain amount the improve exchange rate you get from the TT will outweight the extra charges. It was so in that case and it would have been a robbery to send it as per advised on the web. So after a quick phone conversation the amount went out in GBP. The extra 5 pounds charge are due to extra cost to send the amount in Sterling.

The bank is working on making the Sterling transfer available as well but it involves certain Exchange rate risk that needs to be explained to the customer. Because of the delay the fluctuations can be significatly. The delay is due to safety mesures cause in the UK the BAC payment could be recalled by the customer within a certain period.

I know most of this stuff cause I work at the Bangkok Bank branch in London (until end of July), but this information provided has nothing to do with the Bank and reflect my opinion only.

Should you have an question or need any help please feel free to call them at +44 (0) 207 929 4422. My name is Kamman, but as I said I will only be working there until end of July.

Just to clarify!! The BBL the website : BBL Info is actually correct.

The charges are GBP 15 and no charges on the other end, but the money will be converted in the UK before sending.

The confusion with the GBP 20, 0.25% charges in Thailand (cap at BHT 500) and converted to TT was when a customer send a slightly larger amount using the method advertised on the page. Obviously at a certain amount the improve exchange rate you get from the TT will outweight the extra charges. It was so in that case and it would have been a robbery to send it as per advised on the web. So after a quick phone conversation the amount went out in GBP. The extra 5 pounds charge are due to extra cost to send the amount in Sterling.

The bank is working on making the Sterling transfer available as well but it involves certain Exchange rate risk that needs to be explained to the customer. Because of the delay the fluctuations can be significatly. The delay is due to safety mesures cause in the UK the BAC payment could be recalled by the customer within a certain period.

I know most of this stuff cause I work at the Bangkok Bank branch in London (until end of July), but this information provided has nothing to do with the Bank and reflect my opinion only.

Should you have an question or need any help please feel free to call them at +44 (0) 207 929 4422. My name is Kamman, but as I said I will only be working there until end of July.

A complete overhaul of the UK's view of Bangkok Bank's web site - fast/impressive, and welcome.

Edited by pkrv

• 5 months later...

I need to withdraw funds from Interactive Brokers whose bank account is Citibank N.A. (New York Branch).

They provide one free withdrawal per month, i.e. they pay the transfer fee at their end.

Would it actually be cheaper for me to withdraw via SWIFT than ACH to my Bangkok Bank account?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering whether Bangkok Bank NY would chip off a little cash for themselves as it goes through them for an ACH transfer, whereas I think there would be no middleman fee for a SWIFT transfer from Citibank. Am I thinking correctly?

I need to withdraw funds from Interactive Brokers whose bank account is Citibank N.A. (New York Branch).

They provide one free withdrawal per month, i.e. they pay the transfer fee at their end.

Would it actually be cheaper for me to withdraw via SWIFT than ACH to my Bangkok Bank account?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering whether Bangkok Bank NY would chip off a little cash for themselves as it goes through them for an ACH transfer, whereas I think there would be no middleman fee for a SWIFT transfer from Citibank. Am I thinking correctly?

I should be cheaper for you if the sending bank pays the SWIFT charge since your financial agency provides one free transfer per month. But as always, it depending on the details-in-the-details regardings the free transfer offer. Is the authorized free transfer a SWIFT or ACH transfer, or either one...up to you, etc? You need to ask your bank.

Sending via ACH by using the Bangkok Bank NY "routing number" will result in the the Bangkok Bank NY branch taking their slice/cut of the funds, probably a $5-10 cut/slice. But I expect your sending bank is only waivering/providing free their normal "sending/transmission" fee, whether it's by SWIFT or ACH. Any intermediate bank (like the BKK Bank NY branch) and/or in-Thailand BKK Bank branch fees would still be applicable.

Well the normal ATM limit of 20-25k is not what most would consider a large sum so you are talking a lot of transactions and very large pockets. As for hassle have had much more of that using an ATM than is using Swift or ACH transfers (which have had no issues). But you are right it is a viable option but to change bank and have no guarantee next week the bank will not change policy and refuse to refund foreign ATM fees the question becomes 'is it worth it?'.

I have only done this a few times for large sums. Much easier to just open a US account with a bank that refunds all the ATM charges, if what you're after is to avoid the 150 baht ATM fees. Then just use your US bank ATM card here. Avoid ALL the hassle and fees.

Even if you do have a bank that refunds ATM charges up to so much for month, my experience so far with such an arrangement is unless that separate charge/fee is broken out from the basic withdrawal you will not get reimbursed because the Thai bank transaction record that is transmitted to your home country bank just shows one total amount of the basic withdrawal (say 3000 baht) plus the withdrawal fee (150 baht) for a total withdrawal of 3150 baht. Then Visa/Mastercard/your bank throws in a 1 to 3% charge unless you have one of the few banks that don't' charge a foreign transaction fee.

But the key thing is if the coding in the electronic transaction does not break out the 150 baht fee, you wlll not get reimbursed unless maybe your bank will provide a reimbursement by mailing in the paper receipt which shows the separate fee.

Real life example:

- About a month ago I signed up for a USAA banking account with debt/ATM card. This sign-up went fine and easy. USAA provides ATM reimbursement up to $15 a month for any worldwide ATM use and applies a 1% foreign transaction fee. So, I wanted to run a complete test of the card to confirm the ATM accepts the card & PIN, it issues me the money, what exchange rate I get, and see what additional fees may finally be charged. I used my USAA debit/ATM card at a Bangkok Bank ATM to withdraw 3000 baht...the standard 150 fee was also applied. A day later I logged onto my USAA account to see what total charges had hit my account. "Only one total charge was reflected." I did the reverse math to figure out this total charged appeared to represent the 3000 baht withdrawal with an exchange rate pretty close to the TT rate, the 150 baht Bangkok Bank fee at a TT rate, and the Visa/Mastercard 1% foreign transaction fee. OK, all fine, as expected....my may concern at that point was just to confirm I got a exchange rate pretty close to he TT rate and there were no additional/surprise charges.

- Now, I had been looking at the USAA Customer Review section and saw where members had "not" been getting reimbursed for some "foreign ATM withdrawals" because the foreign ATM machine "did not sent transaction coding that broke out the ATM fee." So, to USAA it just looked like a withdrawal with no fee applied....even these complaining members didn't blame USAA...they just blamed the transaction information sent by the foreign ATM/bank.

- Ok, I needed to call USAA to ask a couple of minor questions about my new account and I decided to ask about the ATM fee reimbursement. I knew they occurred monthly but I wanted to ask about what other members had said about foreign ATM reimbursements. When talking to the rep about the specific 3000 ATM withdrawal, the rep pulled up the detailed ATM record/transaction that was transmitted/received and it only showed two separate subamounts....a 3150 withdrawal/charge by the Bangkok Bank ATM (which was actually the 3000 basic withdrawal plus the 150 baht fee) and the Mastercard 1% foreign transaction fee. So, for all practical purposes there had been "no ATM fee" because of the way the foreign ATM/bank system sent the transaction. I ever talked to a supervisor about getting a reimbursement if I mailed in the ATM receipt that showed the separate charge. They said they only can based reimbursements on what flows through the electronic system....I'm still going to mail in the receipt with a short letter but I'm not holding my breath I'll get reimbursed. They did say that if I lived near a US military base that had a US ATM machine (like Bank of America or similarly) then that US ATM would transmit coding that broke out the ATM fee separately and I would get reimbursed. But the main point I trying to stress is even if your bank reimburses ATM fees it won't/can't provide any reimbursement unless the electronic transaction/record that flows through the system breaks out that chargef/fee.

The coding that flows with any electronic transaction, coding you and me can't see, but the bank can see by pulling up the detailed record that can even show the number assigned to an ATM machine is critical for ATM fee reimbursement. So is the coding that flows with a "cash/points rewards" credit card because different coding is sent in the transaction as to whether the merchant was a super market, gas station, online mail order company, etc...and the coding transmitted can results in you getting a lower rewards percentage (or non at all) versus the higher rewards percentage....this can happen from a home country buy or foreign country buy.

I'm sure most of you have heard the old real estate saying of Location, Location, Location Makes All the Difference. Well, went it comes to using a ATM, debit, or credit card in a foreign country, the "Electronic Transaction Coding Can Make All the Difference" in the final charges/reimbursement/rewards arriving at your home country bank account.

So, now I know the ATM transaction coding transmitted by Bangkok Bank does not break-out the separate 150 fee...just lumps the fee into the basic withdrawal amount...or at least that is what happened in my example above. Now if Bangkok Bank uses some standard Bank of Thailand ATM coding system then I expect all Thai banks may use the same coding, but maybe different banks use different transaction coding. Would be interested to hear from any TV members that "are 100% sure they have been getting ATM fee reimbursements and what Thai bank ATMs they have been using." Maybe it'd just a case of using the right Thai bank for an ATM withdrawal. And yes, I know AEON machines don't charge a fee but unless you happen to live in select locations AEON machines are not very numerous compared to Thai bank ATM machines which seem to be on every corner.

Pib,

I'm not even sure, with the proper coding, USAA would refund ATM fees from foreign banks. I recall them telling me 'no reimbursement' period from ATM transactions abroad. And the quote from their website seems to back this up:

Use any ATM in the United States for free

But, the argument's moot.

For sure you'll be paying 1% off the TT rate to use your USAA ATM card in Thailand -- and that's before the 150 baht fee. With the fee, and withdrawing 25k baht, you're paying about 1.5% off the TT rate.

Now, compare with using your Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdraw money you sent via ACH. Your cost is .6% off the TT rate if you sent $2000; .45% if $6000 sent; .25% for $10k; and .15% for $20k. Even when you factor in the annual 200 baht ATM card fee, or out-of-province charges, you're still way ahead of using the USAA ATM card.

Which doesn't mean some US ATM cards aren't superior to the above scenario, as this forum has hammered to death previously. Additionally, USAA appears to be pocketing the difference between the TT rate and the Interbank Exchange Rate (IER), which is the rate they receive from the CIRRUS network. But, they take the fifth when presented with numbers that support this accusation.

Anyway, put away your USAA ATM card.

Pib,

I'm not even sure, with the proper coding, USAA would refund ATM fees from foreign banks. I recall them telling me 'no reimbursement' period from ATM transactions abroad. And the quote from their website seems to back this up:

Use any ATM in the United States for free

But, the argument's moot.

For sure you'll be paying 1% off the TT rate to use your USAA ATM card in Thailand -- and that's before the 150 baht fee. With the fee, and withdrawing 25k baht, you're paying about 1.5% off the TT rate.

Now, compare with using your Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdraw money you sent via ACH. Your cost is .6% off the TT rate if you sent $2000; .45% if $6000 sent; .25% for $10k; and .15% for $20k. Even when you factor in the annual 200 baht ATM card fee, or out-of-province charges, you're still way ahead of using the USAA ATM card.

Which doesn't mean some US ATM cards aren't superior to the above scenario, as this forum has hammered to death previously. Additionally, USAA appears to be pocketing the difference between the TT rate and the Interbank Exchange Rate (IER), which is the rate they receive from the CIRRUS network. But, they take the fifth when presented with numbers that support this accusation.

Anyway, put away your USAA ATM card.

Oh, I'm fully aware that the USAA debit card is not the cheapest way to go simply because it includes a foreign transaction fee. Although fortunately its foreign transaction fee is on the low end of those banks that charge a transaction fee in the 1 to 3% range. Also know there are some cards that don't charge any transaction fee. No sir, no cost comparisons between TT rates/fee, debit cards, etc., needed for me. Really just got the debit card since I opened a USAA Checking/Savings account for the free outgoing ACH transfers and for that occasional debit card use when traveling. Used the new debit card once upon receipt to confirm it was working properly and see what other devil-in-the-details may appear, such as the little devil which have possibly appeared in the ATM fee reimbursement.

I was aware of the "Use any ATM in the United States for free" note on their web site, but USAA's disclosure agreement does not state:"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATM (Automated Teller Machine) Service Fees

USAA Bank ATMs – No fee

Non-USAA Bank ATMs –

o First 10 withdrawals per monthly statement cycle – No fee

o Additional withdrawals -- $2 each

The ATM owner may charge additional fees, known as surcharges. Bank will automatically refund ATM surcharges incurred up to $15 per monthly account statement, except for the monthly statement cycle in which the account is closed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per phone call with a USAA rep a few days ago, she said they do reimburse foreign ATM fee withdrawals up to $15/month just like withdrawal fees within the US. Even after I mentioned their web site implies it's only nationwide but their disclosure statement implies worldwide. She said, yes she knows, but she affirmed the reimbursements apply worldwide...she then put me on hold and reconfirmed with her supervisor, and then also said it was apparently a coding issue with how the transaction was transmitted with no detailed breakout of the fee....fee amount apparently just lumped into the total. Then as I think about it, maybe the detail record transmitted did identify the separate ATM fee but being also coded as a foreign transaction "USAA then modifies/summarizes the record" to lump the fee into the amount withdrawn; not as anything steeky, but it's just their way of coding the record to prevent any ATM reimbursement for foreign withdrawals IAW with their policy, although their disclosure agreement implies otherwise (possibly dated material) and at least one of their reps and at least one of their supervisors don't understand the full details of their ATM reimbursement policy--what ever it turns out to really be.

Maybe when my first monthly statement is processed there will be a reimbursement which means there was more transaction detail available that even the rep couldn't see. Or maybe it is only nationwide now, in spite of what the rep and her supervisor saying it's still worldwide. This should shake out more over the coming weeks as my first monthly bank statement is generated which is suppose to automatically include any ATM reimbursement due (if some ATM transaction record details somewhere did show the fee separately and they do reimbursement worldwide withdrawal fees).

On a related subject, I'm just hoping my Capital One Rewards credit card in the mail as we speak truly lives up to it's 0% foreign transaction fee and 1 to 2% cash rewards for purchases (worldwide) advertisement, "without any devil-in-the-details."

Cheers and thanks.

Well, my first USAA monthly statement showed up today even through I didn't open the account until the first week of this month. Anyway, no ATM fee reimbursement (i.e., the 150 baht fee charged by Thai banks) for the withdrawal from the Bangkok Bank ATM. The statement did show the total ATM withdrawal and the 1% foreign tranaction fee. This seems to confirm USAA does not reimburse for foreign ATM withdrawals, even through their customer service rep and the rep's supervisor said on the phone they do, "if the fee is shown separately in the transaction record"...a fee that on the transaction was not shown separately but lumped into the basic withdrawal when the USAA rep pulled up the record and looked at it while we were talking on the phone. And as I mentioned earlier, my paper receipt shows the separate 150 baht fee.

Oh well, I'll just post a comment on the USAA Customer Service site regarding their ATM fee reimbursement policy which seems to imply one thing on their web site, implies another thing in the disclosure/fee document, and what their online reps say. Some consistency would be nice. But the purpose of this one USAA debit card withdrawal was to flush out the devil-in-the-details and see what charges are actually applied, what exchange rate was given, and if the ATM fee reimbursemen occurred or not....so I got my results, except maybe the lingering question in my mind could it just be the way Bangkok Bank transmits its ATM fee transactions. Regardless, got my results.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my first USAA monthly statement showed up today even through I didn't open the account until the first week of this month. Anyway, no ATM fee reimbursement (i.e., the 150 baht fee charged by Thai banks) for the withdrawal from the Bangkok Bank ATM. The statement did show the total ATM withdrawal and the 1% foreign tranaction fee.

I have USAA and used to not receive a reimbursement for ATM charges. I then started using SCB for my ATM withdrawals (previously had used Kasikorn) and started to receive the reimbursement. Not sure if this is due to SCB listing this charge differently, but I am now using them exclusively. One minor note, SCB offers an exchange rate that they ask if you want to use. I always say no and use the mastercard exchange rate which has always been better than the rate offered by SCB.

Well, my first USAA monthly statement showed up today even through I didn't open the account until the first week of this month. Anyway, no ATM fee reimbursement (i.e., the 150 baht fee charged by Thai banks) for the withdrawal from the Bangkok Bank ATM. The statement did show the total ATM withdrawal and the 1% foreign transaction fee.

I have USAA and used to not receive a reimbursement for ATM charges. I then started using SCB for my ATM withdrawals (previously had used Kasikorn) and started to receive the reimbursement. Not sure if this is due to SCB listing this charge differently, but I am now using them exclusively. One minor note, SCB offers an exchange rate that they ask if you want to use. I always say no and use the mastercard exchange rate which has always been better than the rate offered by SCB.

Thanks for your feedback. Very recently I sent USAA an email with a scanned copy of he Bangkok Bank ATM receipt asking for reimbursement....and I didn't mentioned anything about my phone call to their reps a week or so earlier regarding ATM reimbursement. USAA's email response was in sync with what their reps told me on the phone which basically was: USAA does indeed reimburse for worldwide ATM fees if the foreign bank's ATM transaction coding breaks-out the fee in the electronic transaction sent to the person's bank. And they said some foreign banks do not break out the fee in the transaction transmitted to the person's bank...its just lumped into the total amount. Now, even through I sent a scanned copy of the receipt with my email to USAA, a receipt which clearly showed the separate fee, they did not provide reimbursement since the Bangkok Bank transaction transmitted to USAA apparently did not break-out the fee...it was just lumped it into the total amount. I have sent a followup email saying "but the paper ATM receipt" clearly showed a separate fee, but I'm not holding my breath for a reimbursement since apparently USAA relies on the electronic transaction coding received to determine ATM reimbursement.

Thanks for the info on SCB. I just may gamble another 150 Baht fee just to confirm with my own hands-on test that SCB sends the type of coding that allows the USAA ATM reimbursement occurs. Even through use of the USAA debt card comes with a 1% foreign transaction fee (not reimbursed) it's still good to know in case I ever need to use the USAA debit card in Thailand, and can't find a AEON machine which are scarce as hen's teeth in most parts of Thailand and even few and far in between over here in western Bangkok....AEON ATM machines are definitely not on every soi corner or in every mall/market like Thai bank ATM machines.

Thanks again....good info.