With Thai Wife & Daughter In Canada - Moving To Thailand In 4 Months - Visa Questions

Hi there, I'll be moving my family to outskirts of Bangkok at the end of October this year.

I understand I'll need a non-immigrant visa and I got the forms to apply for the visa directly from the Royal Thai Consulate in Vancouver Canada but have not filled it out yet.

I am posting here to hopefully increase my confidence that I am doing the correct things to prepare for this move.

Visa application

1. please recommend the type of Visa I will need to stay for a long period of time (over 2 years) in Thailand. non-immigrant O multi entry sound right?

2. please let me know when the "proof of income" with money in Thai bank is required. Surely not before going there? Is that only needed for renewing a year multi-entry?

3. On the application form there is a field called "Available funds for your trip" - would I include money I'll make during my stay through my online business or just what we are leaving with?

4. On the application form there is a field called "duration of proposed stay" - we intend to stay for a long time... should I say many years or say 1 year (length of the visa requested) or 90 days (if related to how much money we are leaving here with) ?

5. Can I run my online business from Thailand without a thai work permit?

6. Is there any sense to consider starting with an Ed visa instead since I plan to learn Thai in a language school anyways? (probably not I think?)

other notes - I have an address we'll be staying in Thailand, my wife is a born in Thailand citizen and my daughter is a born in Canada thai citizen, they both carry Thai and Canadian passports

I'll be sending proof of marriage and other necessary docs with my visa application so those kind of needs I have in hand.

Respectfully,

Shannon

Edited by fractrain

Apply for single entry non immigrant O visa based on marriage in Canada.

You will need copy of your marriage certificate, wife's ID/passport and house book (Thabien bahn).

You have not mention if you are married in Thailand or Canada.

If married in Canada you will need to translate the marriage certificate and get a verification of the translation from MFA (ministry of foreign affairs) and then register the marriage in Thailand.

Then get a 1 year extension of stay at immigrations in Thailand.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Note: Two months first extension after that 3 months

Here is a list of things you need to bring to immigrations for applying for a 1 year extension of stay:

Non Immigrant ‘O’ Extension Based on Marriage / Documents needed:

Application form T.M. 7 x 2 with one photograph size 4x6 cm.

Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

Copy of passport (with certified true copy ) 2 copy

Marriage Certificate 2 copy (Copy of marriage registration papers (Kor Ror.3)

(Tabian Baan) Wife’s house registration 2 copy

Wife’s identity card 2 copy

Bank guarantee letter, signed by the bank manager, pick it up in the bank 1 day before

An updated Bank Book (updated on the same day as the bank guarantee paper above), showing more than 400.000 (more than 3 month, 2 months if first extension of stay).

OR

Evidence of the male foreigners monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

Embassy letter if originating outside Thailand.

Tax receipts if from within Thailand.

Photos x 3: Include you and your wife in front of the house, then 2 others in/around your house. Bring photos from your wedding as well, it may also be good.

PLUS MAP OF THE HOUSE ADDRESS.

Copy of photo page, visa page and entry/permit to stay stamp page.

Add copy of TM6 departure card. (1 copy is enough) Just sign each copy that is what certification means.

3 to 5 Wife signs all of these and you also sign marriage certificate (it has your name on it).

(only one copy needed)

Need copies of bank book pages also signed. Best to get an update on the day you go to immigration.

*certified true copy=Your signature on the copy.

Advice:

*Bring all originals you have with you just in case the officer would like to see them

*Don’t forget to take the wife as she will have to complete further form in Thai, to 'back up your story'

*When exit Thailand you need a re-entry permit.

1000 baht for single, 3800 baht for multiple entry.

*Every 90 days you must go to immigration filling out form TM.47

This is only for confirming your address in Thailand.

*You will first be given an “under consideration stamp” for one month.

The papers have to be sent to BKK.

Return after 30 days and get a stamp for the reminder of the year.

Q Can I run my online business from Thailand without a thai work permit?

A: No, but you can form a Thai company and use your extension based on marriage to get a WP, If married to Thai the you don't need a business visa.

Edited by PoorSucker

1. Get a multiple-entry non-immigrant "O" visa if you can. You will need to make a border run ever 90 days for a new permission to stay stamp. Can be used to remain in Thailand for a period of up to 15 months if border runs are done correctly.

2. Upon arrival in Thailand open a bank account with at least 400,000 baht.

3. Alternately, if you have at least 40,000 baht documented legal income per month, that will be ok.

4. After the funds have been in a Thai bank for at least 60 days go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on being married to a Thai. You can repeat annually.

5. You cannot work in Thailand without a work permit and you would need a Thai company to sponsor one.

6. Make certain that both your wife and daughter enter Thailand using their Thai passports.

7. If your marriage is not already registered in Thailand, you should have your marriage certificate translated and legalized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada before travel.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Thank you both very much.

PoorSucker thanks for your detailed reply. Very helpful :)

I have a couple questions based on your answers. I hope to not bother you too much!

Apply for single entry non immigrant O visa based on marriage in Canada.

You will need copy of your marriage certificate, wife's ID/passport and house book (Thabien bahn).

We are currently in Canada and will apply for the Visa before flying to Bangkok.

You are suggesting coming over on a single entry (is that 90 day?) over a 1 year multi-entry - why is that?

You have not mention if you are married in Thailand or Canada.

If married in Canada you will need to translate the marriage certificate and get a verification of the translation from MFA (ministry of foreign affairs) and then register the marriage in Thailand.

Canada, thank you.

Then get a 1 year extension of stay at immigrations in Thailand.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

If I get a single-entry from Canada before coming, at what time I go to immigration for the extension? Immediately? After 60 days? Thank you.

Q Can I run my online business from Thailand without a thai work permit?

A: No, but you can form a Thai company and use your extension based on marriage to get a WP, If married to Thai the you don't need a business visa.

As a foreigner on a non-imm O I can start a Thai company yes? Is it necessary to be on the "extension of stay" and if so is that why you recommend starting with single-entry instead of 1 year multi-entry from Canada?

Thank you for your assistance!

Shannon

Edited by fractrain

1. Get a multiple-entry non-immigrant "O" visa if you can. You will need to make a border run ever 90 days for a new permission to stay stamp. Can be used to remain in Thailand for a period of up to 15 months if border runs are done correctly.

2. Upon arrival in Thailand open a bank account with at least 400,000 baht.

3. Alternately, if you have at least 40,000 baht documented legal income per month, that will be ok.

4. After the funds have been in a Thai bank for at least 60 days go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on being married to a Thai. You can repeat annually.

5. You cannot work in Thailand without a work permit and you would need a Thai company to sponsor one.

6. Make certain that both your wife and daughter enter Thailand using their Thai passports.

7. If your marriage is not already registered in Thailand, you should have your marriage certificate translated and legalized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada before travel.

Thank you InterestedObserver.

You are suggesting the 1 year multiple-entry from the RTE in Canada before travelling - when would I apply for the extension of stay? near the end of the 1st year or is sooner better, for example if money is in the bank for the first 2 months I am in Thailand should I apply for extension in the 3rd month?

Shannon

You apply for the extension of stay within the final 30 days of any permision to stay.

If you think that you will qualify within 3 months of entering Thailand you only need a single entry.

Getting a Multi Entry Non Imm O will give you more time to get sorted.