Small Owl

Sitting on the deck after dinner at dusk and this small owl flew right past us and crashed into the sliding door. Dazed, it rolled its eyes a few times until regaining its composure. For twenty minutes it watched us as if enjoying our company. It finally flew off with no apparent harm from its collision. We felt pretty lucky to see this beautiful bird.

It resembles a Saw Whet or Pygmy Owl such as I am familiar with from the mountains of the US Northwest. Anybody have a positive ID for this critter? Closest I could come on the web was a Christmas Island Hawk Owl, but I doubt it could be that.

http://www.owlpages.com/image.php?image=species-Ninox-natalis-1

post-498-074896100 1278212097_thumb.jpg

post-498-086800800 1278212117_thumb.jpg

post-498-046645500 1278212135_thumb.jpg

post-498-038535000 1278212168_thumb.jpg

Isanbirder... It could very well be. The one we saw was a bit more brown and red than the one in the pics I've seen.

And Tywais, I was looking for that thread as I remember seeing it. Good stuff in there. The owls sure are a lot more docile than hawks when they are hurt. Last year I saw a hawk get hit by a car so I stopped. It would scream at me as I got close like "I'll rip your eyes out if you come any closer." He flew away after a few minutes as well. Wasn't going to go near him with that attitude.

At any rate, it's time to change my avatar to this owl. Had to relocate my resident Tokay last week and found out they really stink!