Help Me Get On A Plane!

sleepyjohn

Been on this forum before I'm the guy who suffers from an agoraphobic panic disorder needing a little help in my quest to return to normal. I've had very helpful input from TV before the first time I managed to get on a train to BKK.

In the last weeks I have made great progress going to BKK from CM by night train. I have managed to get in the lift and stayed in a friend's place on the 36th, yes 36th! floor penthouse of Chatrium Suites (It's now pretty easy!). Last week I even got onto a ferry, the skytrain, and the tube to Hualamphong and can now go into Paragon. Incredibly gruelliing but getting better!

I really want to keep up the momentum. I haven't been able to get on a plane for 6 years since this damned thing, a sort of PTSD, came back. Odd as I have flown planes myself.

I have a cunning plan, maybe for this coming week.

I would like to advance to trying to just hang around an airport until I relax......but Suvarnabhum is to me a cold huge glass inhuman structure in a flat ugly area and despite my best efforts I get terrible panics just even being driven to that area. I need to go a little more gently. An agoraphobic needs to be able to "hide" and preferably be indoors. He needs an escape route to what he sees as "safety". Although even going there is daunting, I think Don Muang may be a better bet to start.

Last week I looked at Don Muang station from the train back to Chiangmai where I live (yes I've got used to the train. It looked like the sort of place I could get out and hang out in the cafe (ridiculously something of a trial in itself in a new place for me), then when I calm down try to go into the terminal.

Questions

1 I hear the elevated walkway from station to terminal is closed.....but that from the internet was some years ago.....is it still so.....is there a footbridge? Bearing in mind people may have to take their baggage is ithe bridge and the other side enclosed or a covered way? How far is the terminal from the other side of the footbridge.

2 What's the best option bearing in mind my fear of the open?

3 I seem to remember the terminal's only one or two hundred metres from the station.....is that so?

4 I looked up Thai railways but could only find a timetable for the big Chiangmai train. Any link to a local train timetable? (My idea is to get off a local train at Don Muang, hang out, then get on the BKK to CM sleeper train an hour or two later)

5 Am I right in thinking the freeway is between the station and the terminal?

It may seem crazy, but if anyone can offer anything which will enable me to get inside the terminal if possible, tell me of any "hiding places" where I can relax, it would help a lot. Any photos would be great.

I figure if I can hang out at the terminal comfortably maybe soon I could have a some beers, which I normally have to avoid, to help me out on a quick flight to CM where I feel comfortable.

Thanx a lot!

John

ps attach my bedroom view of our sister building complete with helipad.....still can't quite believe I made it up there!

post-17221-025220900 1278219691_thumb.jp

Edited by sleepyjohn

There used to be a walkway from the Amari Airport Hotel opposite DM that linked up with the terminal.

You use an escalator at the hotel side and a lift on the terminal side.

Don't konw how the layout of DM has changed since they stopped using it so can't help with the 'hiding places' but the toilets tend to be enclosed if you need to be boxed in for a bit?

There used to be a walkway from the Amari Airport Hotel opposite DM that linked up with the terminal.

Thanx PP. Yes it would be very useful if someone knew about this. Can one get up into the walkway without crossing the roads either side of the station?

Don't konw how the layout of DM has changed since they stopped using it so can't help with the 'hiding places' but the toilets tend to be enclosed if you need to be boxed in for a bit?

Not so silly as it sounds! Though a small cafe in an enclosed area is the nice way. Or better still a "quiet room". BTW is there a quiet romm or meditation room at Suvarnabhum for my first visit there?

cheers John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Thanx PP. Yes it would be very useful if someone knew about this. Can one get up into the walkway without crossing the roads either side of the station?

Not so silly as it sounds! Though a small cafe in an enclosed area is the nice way. Or better still a "quiet room". BTW is there a quiet romm or meditation room at Suvarnabhum for my first visit there?

cheers John

My sister is having the same symptoms that you have... and even more, she is autistic.

Every years, she is traveling with either my Dad or my Mum to visit me in Thailand... but this year, my parents were physically not able to accompany her.

Being impossible for me to meet her just after the landing of the plane, I used the service of Starlight Express VIP Services.

They were doing a great job... I know that you want to do the opposite road... but they might be able to help you as well...

Regards... Michel

Edited by lazygourmet

[

If the walkway AT the station is closed then the crossing to the hotel is only a small road behind the station, not over the expressway. Don't really understand why it would be closed though unless there's another walkway nearby, maybe at the main road? The walkway from the hotel is completely enclosed. Been a while since I've been to DM though.

In some parts of DM or Swampy there may be smoking rooms, or at swampy in the public terminal there's the hospital room or the Tourist Police office that may let you sit to get your composure if you explain the situation.

If the walkway AT the station is closed then the crossing to the hotel is only a small road behind the station, not over the expressway. Don't really understand why it would be closed though unless there's another walkway nearby, maybe at the main road? The walkway from the hotel is completely enclosed. Been a while since I've been to DM though.

In some parts of DM or Swampy there may be smoking rooms, or at swampy in the public terminal there's the hospital room or the Tourist Police office that may let you sit to get your composure if you explain the situation.

very nice of you PP you seem to understand the small detail like "completely enclosed" that helps puts a nut like me at ease. (BTW enclosed by glass or walls?)

On the Amari DM site they mention a 5 minute drive to the terminal but nothing about the walkway.

Funny enough yesterday I arranged to go to visit the airfield outside CM where a friend has a small plane. He said it's fine for me to just go sit in it or hang out. May be another way in if I get to feel easy enough, but I shall go to DM regardless so all detail from anyone welcome!

cheers John

^Enclosed by glass.

My mate's sister is the same as you, except worse, and she'd not set foot out of her house for years.

The doc gave her a task of every day putting a chair in the garden and just sitting outdoors in the garden, so I bought her one of those pointy Christmas hats and a little fishing rod :lol:

Now she manages to get out shopping getting to her daughters school and back etc. but is not as adventurous as you.

"BTW is there a quiet romm or meditation room at Suvarnabhum for my first visit there?"

There are prayer rooms for monks and Muslims, and everyone is welcome. Remember, no smoking, no shoes...

The international terminal @ DM is deserted, and you might be able to seek solace there. There are a lot of nooks and crannies in which to collect your thoughts.

sawasdii sleepyjohn, i am looking at a printed timetable dated feb 18 2009, as i type, for the northern line railway. bangkok to chiang mai. it would seem all trains stop at don meuang.

maybe you could go to c.m station and pick up a current timetable so you can plan your trip.

if memory serves me well, you walk over the dual carriageway to don meuang station via a walkway. cant remember if its glass enclosed or not.

hope it all works out.

jerry.