Community Protest Against Drilling In The Gulf Of Siam

Community Protest Against drilling in the Gulf of Siam

Please come and join us on Wednesday 7th July at 9:30 in front of the Tetsabahn's office to protest drilling in the Bay of Siam!

This is the final call to stand up and make your voice heard. Can we make a difference? How do we know if we don't try?

We have seen the results of the BP spill recently and know about the promises that oil companies give – even with the best of intentions, accidents can and will happen! What are the other implications of rigs near our tourist islands? Noise? Pollution? Lights? Disturbance to the already fragile marine ecosystem? Come and find out more....

Below is a link to a video which is being aired on Samui Channel this week in Thai. It is a call to arms to everyone who loves Samui and who cares about our future to protect our island from potential disaster.

http://www.4shared.com/video/6zQnfHMm/PeePae.html

Below is a summary of the contents:

On Thursday at 9:30am there will be a second and FINAL hearing regarding oil exploration in the bay of Siam only 42 km from Koh Samui, and affecting our neighbouring islands of Koh Phangan and of course Koh Tao.

By law, if there is no opposition the company can go ahead and drill.

Chevron has been coming back and forth to our bay to do oil exploration. They have followed pro forma announcements about public meetings, but the fact is that not many people know about the details.

Now is the last preparation before they actually start the drilling and the last time that the people of the island have to stand up and be counted!.

It is necessary for each person who loves Koh Samui to come to show their concern by attending the protest at 9:30 at the Tetsabahn on Wednesday, July 7th.

Everyone needs to attend! Bring your friends...

We all know what a major oil spill can cause. It is devastating to the environment, the health of each and every person, animal and every person's livelihood. Our island environments of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao and the Ang Thong Marine National Park would be devastated. And it isn't a remote nightmare, it is happening right here.

Posted for a friend,

Matt.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it that the OP's friend does not own a car or motorbike, never uses public transport, walks or cycles everywhere, doesn't use any plastic products etc. etc.?

I can pretty much guarantee not, which makes him a hypocrite spouting NIMYism.

Does he also realise the contribution to the economy from the O&G industry in the gulf?:blink::rolleyes:

Big business will always win out, here. Sorry to be negetive about this but I think you are wasting your time.

:annoyed: I'd say the locals are doing a pretty good job of polluting our coasts themselves already, when you look at how they allowed backhoes to dig out the reefs front of Nora and Lawana Resorts, permitting Sarann Resort to build on top of a reef, never mind the catastrophe down at the Conrad. Just another PR stunt for the media and cameras. Hypocrites ! Crusty for Governor !

I'm just passing the message on.

This could effect everyone that lives here and the more people that know about this the better...

People can then make their own choices about if they go or not...

Matt.

Some totally unecessary and in my opinion unwarranted harsh responses to what is obstensively a well meaning post by the OP. Quite what exactly is the problem with caring a little about the environment we live in? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Some totally unecessary and in my opinion unwarranted harsh responses to what is obstensively a well meaning post by the OP. Quite what exactly is the problem with caring a little about the environment we live in? :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. But I guess the harsh reaction is from those with vested interests. This island's/Thailands environmental track record is atrocious and every little bit helps in controlling (not necessarily stopping) the aspirations of big business. :angry:

No problem at all. If you read my post ., all I am asking is "Where were these protesters when these flagrant transgressions were happening right inder their very noses and much closer to home !

Touche !

Crusty, I agree, those were not very good things to happen, doesn't mean that we should just sit back and let this one happen as well.

:angry: Well the eventual operator of this gas supply rig will be PTT and as ALL the shareholders are prominent politicians, how much influence do you think a puny protest will make ? If you recall, when PTT went public 10 years ago and as the public had lined up for days to subscribe to the IPO only to find the 500 million shares on offer had alread been snapped up by politicians and their mates, there was NOTHING left for the public. Knowing these facts it will go ahead, the protests will be a waste of time because it is out of our hands and if you like to waste your time, up to you !

I just wonder if all this is just a bit too late. I mean it has been known for quite a while, lots of the infrastructure is already in place around Tha Sala,

Chevron have leased a very large parcel of land, building underway, accomodation, dock lots of operational support moving from Songhkla Etc........

Don't mean to be smart but why just now? This has been in the pipeline "no pun intended" for years.

I just wonder if all this is just a bit too late. I mean it has been known for quite a while, lots of the infrastructure is already in place around Tha Sala,

Chevron have leased a very large parcel of land, building underway, accomodation, dock lots of operational support moving from Songhkla Etc........

Don't mean to be smart but why just now? This has been in the pipeline "no pun intended" for years.

:rolleyes: That's right Roo since 1970 in fact when Western Geophysical did the original seismic work with the M.V. Oil Creek, my first visit to Koh Samui. The client was Conoco.

Maybe not best idea for westerners to be protesting anything right now in Thailand....

Nirvana

Point made.....!

Agreed!

sorry i am a capitalist. if it makes money for the country then it makes people happy. i mean people just a born to protest . i mean some people. they protested the new tesco lotus in lamui. the market people thought that it would take away business from the market yet nothing has changed, business wise.

u really think that thailand are going to stop a multy million dollar money machine because of a few forang protesters. get reall !

I agree with you 100%. But I guess the harsh reaction is from those with vested interests. This island's/Thailands environmental track record is atrocious and every little bit helps in controlling (not necessarily stopping) the aspirations of big business. :angry:

Caring for the enviironment is all good and well but I have my doubts as to the motive of some of the posters here......big business v small business.

Maybe other businesses have an interest in the marine park.....vested interests for sure aye you're all turning green on this thread but hang on how do you get around the island....hmmm......lots of hypocricy in the quote and you know it......:bah:

Caring for the enviironment is all good and well but I have my doubts as to the motive of some of the posters here......big business v small business.

Maybe other businesses have an interest in the marine park.....vested interests for sure aye you're all turning green on this thread but hang on how do you get around the island....hmmm......lots of hypocricy in the quote and you know it......:bah:

Ofcourse we have vested interests!!!!! And, it does'nt matter whether its for business OR care for the environment.

If an oil slick meant that 100% my business and total livelehood and investment would be wiped out then fine, call me a hypocrite for taking an interest in the well being managed in, well lets say, with greater safety standards than the one off Louisiana.

Wanting to see the safety of the environment is motive enough in itself and if thats an agenda then good.

My hope would be that publicity of this well be help ensure that Chevron did'nt cut any corners so as to speak, because whilst we need oil, we don't need gung ho drilling do we?

Ofcourse we have vested interests!!!!! And, it does'nt matter whether its for business OR care for the environment.

If an oil slick meant that 100% my business and total livelehood and investment would be wiped out then fine, call me a hypocrite for taking an interest in the well being managed in, well lets say, with greater safety standards than the one off Louisiana.

Wanting to see the safety of the environment is motive enough in itself and if thats an agenda then good.

My hope would be that publicity of this well be help ensure that Chevron did'nt cut any corners so as to speak, because whilst we need oil, we don't need gung ho drilling do we?

Gas doesn't make Oil spills.... and I believe it's a Gas field exploration ... by the way do have a fridge, an a/c, lights, shower heater....?

The Energy for the entire island.... does come from a heavy fuel plant from Khanom.... :whistling:

As another poster mentioned regarding the NIMBY effect....This is short sighted as the drilling will almost certainly happen as the oil is needed....not to mention the revenue. Anyone who believes any other outcome has there head in the sand.

Far better then to concentrate on making sure in view of the natural beauty in the area and for wildlife and environmental concern and even in the interests of businesses on the islands there is no repeat of the BP incident.

Is there really any point to this meeting?.....what about unemployed O+G workers anyone spared 'em a thought?

BTW carmine pleased to note you declaring your interest....is that in the marine park or in the petrol pump I wonder....!

For chrissakes its gas NOT oil ! Gas evaporates when it hits the air ! This is a typical knee jerk reaction from The Green Loonies on something they nothing about !

Crusty I think you will find that the gas is created by the oil that normally sits below it. In some cases the oil is the majority of the find and in others it is the gas. The disaster in the Gulf of Mexico was caused by the gas above the oil find being under great pressure. Many some of the oil workers here can give a better explanation. There are already quite a few south of Samui which we pass on our technical dive trips so the threat of a spill is already there if the wind and the currant are in the right direction. I just worry about spoiling the beauty of the place by sticking a rig next to Tao. The thin edge of the wedge has already been hammered though with the monstrous wind generator that has been stuck on Tao. Tao has already changed a great deal in the time I've been here. SAD !!!!

Will try to get down tomorrow but fear it will do little but you have to try

Crusty I think you will find that the gas is created by the oil that normally sits below it. In some cases the oil is the majority of the find and in others it is the gas. The disaster in the Gulf of Mexico was caused by the gas above the oil find being under great pressure. Many some of the oil workers here can give a better explanation. There are already quite a few south of Samui which we pass on our technical dive trips so the threat of a spill is already there if the wind and the currant are in the right direction. I just worry about spoiling the beauty of the place by sticking a rig next to Tao. The thin edge of the wedge has already been hammered though with the monstrous wind generator that has been stuck on Tao. Tao has already changed a great deal in the time I've been here. SAD !!!!

Will try to get down tomorrow but fear it will do little but you have to try

Seems we have the same hymn book in front of us.

Sadly, as with that ridiculous tall fan that occasionally turns a bit that blights the once beautiful Koh Tao landscape, its a done deal before anybody knows whats happening. FWIW the oil company involved has been building some improvements to the KT school, had a big party to celebrate a couple months ago. Beer Sing on draft for the execs.

Does anyone know where they will be drilled? I mean as at other Thai rigs there is a general boating and marine activity exclusion zone. And a wide one at that. How amusing would it be that Chumpon Pin, SW pin or Samran/Sail rock were off limits in the future for all activities? I trust that the govt, or oil companies have published a full map of their targets? surely

My feeling its that local people mobilizing to express their feelings (as a starting point for other actions) about unwelcome changes to the island is the only way anything will be preserved here of the once incredible natural beauty. Local people to me does not include foreigners, Thai people from other provinces, or oil company PR staff. As foreigners resident here, or as tourists, we can certainly express (politely) our support of those causes we believe in. The turnout today was quite large, in the hundreds, overwhelmingly Thai, and well organized. I saw at least one local politician who looked like he was trying to figure out how to appear like he was leading the parade ;) While the cynical remarks posted above seem well founded to me (yes, everybody save one came by internal combustion powered transport) this event was pretty impressive by local standards,

i don't know if i am alloud to write this though if i get banned then i will know but i do worry that if thailand fined another source of income far richer than tourisme. would the thais simple give us the boot. just a question. i mean thailand i get the feeling likes toursime basically the money from toursime but u compair the laws to Malaysia for example and china. They seem allot more open to foreigners. in malaysia u can buy a house in your name with a 7 year visa. Singapore also are allot more relaxed laws for foreigners.

I know that until recently forangs could nto really own anything. now we can but through very complicated systems and the stress we all have to go through with visa runs.

just wondering if they did not need us. would we all be here. it is only a thiory question. something that cannot be answered only based on opinum.

what u lot reckon.

What would you have protested against? The Macondo Well that exploded and has been issuing oil into the Gulf of Mexico was a freak event. It's so utterly foolish to protest something that is basically as safe as offshore drilling is. Why not protest against automobiles? They kill more people many orders of magnitude more than any drilling accident. And as far as being a polluter, this is nonsense. Any complicated endeavor comes with risk. Since the world needs petroleum products, oil must be obtained. Gas is also sought after. Accidents will happen according to the probabilities associated with the risk factors.

The ratio of wells drilled to the number of accidents like the Macondo Well disaster is large, to put it mildly.

A plane falls out of the sky and we protest airlines and planes....Construction waste is dumped illegally and we protest construction projects...a ship runs aground on a coral reef and we protest shipping...you get the point.

The fact is that drilling accidents can happen; this one off the US coast is a doozie but probably the likes of which you will never see again in your lifetime.

So again, what is it that was protested against? Do people want to stop offshore drilling here? If so, where is the evidence of imminent risk? Protesting this is just knee-jerk, uninformed showmanship for nothing.

If you want to protest against the production of gas, try turning your focus to the odoriferous beach road in Chaweng....

Oh and by the way, regarding the uncapped well, BP only owns 65 percent operating interest. 25 percent is owned by Anadarko and 10 percent by a Japanese company called, MOEX Offshore 2007. I don't see Anadarko being raked over the coals and a 25 percent stake in a well is not insignificant. But that's another matter.....

• Like 1