Making Money Work

Scenario:

Guy lives in Thailand, he has to work overseas, he is a lazy git, he wants to pack up work!

House is bought and paid for, Pick up is bought and paid for, motorcycle is bought and paid for.

No smoking, a few beers now and then, content with life in the countryside away from the bright lights and bars.

Has 4 Million Baht in the Bank, that can be put aside for investment purposes.

How can he make the 4 million baht work to earn enough money to pay for the day to day expenses of living, without steaming into the lump sum?

I have read some of the posts in this forum and there are some smart minds in this section. Ok, after the obligatory grovelling, what do you guys think? :o

if you can live on about 20k baht a month, check out this website for individual bonds.

www.jbh.com

100k usa dollars at 6% will get you 6k dollars a year in interest.

Yes ... but ...

over time bonds only can be a problem because of inflation.

6 K every year, but ten years down the line 6 K is not worth as much.

Which means a good portion of the assets would need to be in investments that have a prospect of growing at a faster rate to have a chance to even stay even in real return.

That won't be easy with that amount of money if those are the only assets.

Thes best thing to do is wager it on sports like I do. I make more than enough money to live comfortable in the US, let alone Thailand. I sell my picks if you're interested. You will get a far better return than anything else and the payoff is immediate. You dont have to wait for some lousy 6% appreciation. Let me know

if you can live on about 20k baht a month, check out this website for individual bonds.

www.jbh.com

100k usa dollars at 6% will get you 6k dollars a year in interest.

Yes ... but ...

over time bonds only can be a problem because of inflation.

6 K every year, but ten years down the line 6 K is not worth as much.

Which means a good portion of the assets would need to be in investments that have a prospect of growing at a faster rate to have a chance to even stay even in real return.

That won't be easy with that amount of money if those are the only assets.

true. inflation is a concern. ..but only for those who have many years to go.

..get the picture?

in my opinion, more important is trying to figure out when to retire rather than worrying about the effects of inflation.

you know, you only have so many years on this planet. for most folks, at best maybe 70 years. for some, far less.

if you are over 50 years old with 100k dollars, and social security coming when age 62, are you going to worry about inflation, or trying to accummulate some happy memories?

does working another year or two so that you can get maybe 50 dollars more per month in interest really make sense for an older person?

get this, when you reach age 60 your libido may not work anymore. for sure, you will not be as strong as when you were young. at best, if you do anything physically tiring, it will take you 2 or 3 days to recouperate.

hey. check the following website out. very interesting reading... I think the author had the right idea with the original report. the altered information is misleading (for good reason if you can read between the lines.)

http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com/Informati...etireYoung.html

yes, with these facts staring you in the face, do you think inflation is really a concern?

happy memories...