40 Days Travelling 30 Day Visa

Hi all,

I am travelling for the first time around Thailand, Cambodia and Laos in a few weeks time.

I have flights to / from Bangkok 40 days apart and so plan to travel around Thailand on the free 30day visa, then go to Laos and Cambodia. Finally returning to Thailand, getting a second 30 day visa and flying home.

My main concern is that upon arriving in Bangkok it will look like I am staying for 40 days without a visa covering this. Could this cause a problem or will they understand that I plan to leave the country and return?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First, it's not a visa you get when you arrive - it's a visa exempt stamp. Which means you don't have a visa but don't need one. As long as you fly in, you get 30 days' exemption.

Shouldn't be a problem landing for the 30 days exempt, travelling outside Thailand either by land or air for a bit, and then returning either by land or air until you fly home.

Flying in, you get 30 days visa exempt; coming in by land you get 15, so either should suffice for your needs as long as you do your Thai travel on the initial 30.

You do not mention from where you plan to arrive but you need to check your airline as they will often not allow travel without onward ticket within 30 days (which is the requirement to obtain visa exempt entry). If you are not sure plan to arrive at airport early enough to buy another ticket out of Thailand if airline insists. As tourist visas are currently free it would make sense to just obtain one before you travel as there is no problem that way.