Gps On Tractor

I plan to buy a tractor but I don't want it to be use for some "unauthorized" work when I'm not here (basically people using the tractor outside the farm to make some extra money).

I want to fit a GPS on the tractor, has it been done before ? Could some recommend a good seller ?

Edited by JurgenG

I plan to buy a tractor but I don't want it to be use for some "unauthorized" work when I'm not here (basically people using the tractor outside the farm to make some extra money).

I want to fit a GPS on the tractor, has it been done before ? Could some recommend a good seller ?

I haven't heard of anyone using a locating device on a tractor here, however it is common practice in the transport industry. There are monitoring services here as well. Try looking for truck location units.

I monitor the engine hours on my tractor. Could I suggest that you do the same and perhaps invest in a good chain and lock?

Isaanaussie

Hello

Might I suggest you search for tracking device as opposed to GPS. Another idea might be to remove a samll essential part like the rotary arm in a car something small, but without it its a non starter. or how about a Wheel clamp. If you have a sticker on it with the threat of a fine like UK rates if removed the price will scare them to death.

good luck in your quest for the ultimate deterent.

J B-P

As I/A said work off tractor hours as it will probably be needed on farm when your not here.

I'd be suspect about buying a tractor in the first place if the trust within is not there.

Its a damned if you do,damned if you dont situation.

Goodluck.

Gps is fitted to farm machinery for broad acre farming ,in conjunction with auto steer they can be sub inch accurate.

I would question the usefulness of a unit fitted for normal farming in Thailand (other than as an expensive toy) as decent units with auto steer are in the $50,000 range.

Hello

Might I suggest you search for tracking device as opposed to GPS. Another idea might be to remove a samll essential part like the rotary arm in a car something small, but without it its a non starter. or how about a Wheel clamp. If you have a sticker on it with the threat of a fine like UK rates if removed the price will scare them to death.

good luck in your quest for the ultimate deterent.

J B-P

Thanks for the advise. I tried "tracking device thailand" on Google and I got a couple of good leads, I will post here later if I find anything suitable.

For the other suggestion, we need the tractor to work almost full time, that's why I consider buying one, so the option of removing the battery or a wheel :rolleyes: is not really workable.

Regarding monitoring the engine hours, it's the same when you contract someone by hour of for the job. Depending of the skill and the good will of the machine operator, the same job can take between 2 days and a week. ...

As I/A said work off tractor hours as it will probably be needed on farm when your not here.

I'd be suspect about buying a tractor in the first place if the trust within is not there.

Its a damned if you do,damned if you dont situation.

Goodluck.

After reading the op requirement for use of the tractor on a regular/daily basis and his concern/trust about the possible use off site/farm, The above comment sums up to situation quite accurately.

We had a dairy farm with 38 milking cows a year ago,profit between 40 to 50.000 baht/month

problem was that my wife's family worked for us, and they were too lazy to work, 3 years later the whole business was broken.

reason that i sell the property,too much shit with my wife, I go back to europe.

if you have good workers you can live well from the income, farm + agriculture

grts,

luc

A very sad story from a recent thread

I want to avoid the same problem by setting clear guidelines between what is acceptable and what is not, and being able to enforce them.

Sorry, I don't like stories with bad ending.

Yes, there are horror stories galore about absentee farang owners and what happens when they set up a fool proof money maker and then go back home for a extended time frame. I have never found a small business that did not require physical presence, and daily involvement initially. This is not unique to Thailand. There do seem to be some organizations who have been successful in doing what we would all dearly love to experience, but their pentalty for stepping out of line is reportedly, messy and permanent.