Why Did They Stamp My Double Entry Tourist Visa "Used" When I Rentered Thailand?

I recently went to Laos and got my double entry tourist visa. I then went to immigration and paid to get my re-entry visa because I was going to travel. When I returned from my travels and reentered Thailand at the airport they stamped my tourist visa in my passport as "Used". I asked them why because I had a re-entry stamp in my passport. They got really nasty and said I should have told them I had the re-entry stamp!! I said that is your job and on top of that you go through my passport meticulously and you obviously ignored it.

Because they stamped the visa "Used" does that mean the double entry visa is now voided and I need to go get another one? I dont want to be in Thailand on a 30 day visa stamp. Or do I need to go to immigration and tell them about this?

You should have put the number of the re-entry permit in the 'visa number' box on your arrival card.

You may be able to get things fixed at your local immigration office, worth a visit.

What it sounds like they did, was overlook the re-entry permit you had and stamped you back in the country using the second entry of your double entry tourist visa.

Out at Bangkok Immigrations in Changwattana they have an entire area devoted to "visa stamp corrections". I'd go out there ASAP and see if you can get it sorted.

Showing the Immigrations officer that you had a valid re-entry permit BEFORE you exited, they would probably give you the remainder of the days you had on the first entry, and re-activate or re-validate the other entry for use re-entering thailand after the first one runs out. (Then again this being the glorious "Land 'O Thais", possibly not :ermm: ).

If you happen to have a spare thai person lying around I'd take them along with you too ;) . I imagine you're certainly not the first foreigner this has ever happened to so it may be something theyve seen before.

Just for the information; when you came back in country did you get stamped in for another 60 days by Immigrations at Suvarnabhumi?

Edited by tod-daniels