4X2 Or 4X4 Fortuner

2 wheel drive dosen't have C/C or VSC I think. Sorry but to knackered to look it up. Check it out.

What's C/C?

I asked at the dealers, and it also says in the brouchure that the 4x2 does have VSC. I would obvisouly need to confirm this for definite before ordering it!

Thanks.

Well guys, thank you for all this engaging and informative discussion.

From what I have read, it would seem that some people are of the opinion that in terms of safety, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sporty is in fact better than the Fortuner. The Mitsuhishi website isn’t exactly “farang friendly” so if any of you knowledgeable people would like to fill me in on the Pro’s and Con’s it would be much appreciated. I would be particularly interested in the safety features, both active and passive, including air bags / VSC (stability control) / ABS EBD BA etc. – but I would also be interested in comments on critical comfort aspects such are ride quality, comfort of the seats, electronic features, over all practicality such as “the doors are too small” or “the turning circle is great” …… etc. and of course the all important performance such as fuel efficiency and 0-60 performance (and more importantly the 60-0!).

Many thanks to everyone for the input.

<BR><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>Well guys, thank you for all this engaging and informative discussion.</FONT></FONT><BR><BR><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=3></FONT></FONT><BR><BR><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>From what I have read, it would seem that some people are of the opinion that in terms of safety, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sporty is in fact better than the Fortuner. The Mitsuhishi website isn't exactly "farang friendly" so if any of you knowledgeable people would like to fill me in on the Pro's and Con's it would be much appreciated. I would be particularly interested in the safety features, both active and passive, including air bags / VSC (stability control) / ABS EBD BA etc. but I would also be interested in comments on critical comfort aspects such are ride quality, comfort of the seats, electronic features, over all practicality such as "the doors are too small" or "the turning circle is great" …… etc. and of course the all important performance such as fuel efficiency and 0-60 performance (and more importantly the 60-0!).</FONT></FONT><BR><BR><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=3></FONT></FONT><BR><BR><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>Many thanks to everyone for the input.</FONT></FONT><BR><BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Mitsu has a third row seat folding into the floor, providing flat cargo floor. Fortuners seats are up against the side windows when folded. Only two bolts to remove Fortuners 3rd row seats totally though.

Fortuners second row seats can slide providing more legroom or larger cargo area.

On a 2wd for most drivers I d say VSC is essential, only available on Fortuner<BR><BR>Otherwise very similar vehicles and both are great value for money

Edited by katabeachbum

From what I have read, it would seem that some people are of the opinion that in terms of safety, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sporty is in fact better than the Fortuner. The Mitsuhishi website isn't exactly "farang friendly" so if any of you knowledgeable people would like to fill me in on the Pro's and Con's it would be much appreciated. I would be particularly interested in the safety features, both active and passive, including air bags / VSC (stability control) / ABS EBD BA etc. – but I would also be interested in comments on critical comfort aspects such are ride quality, comfort of the seats, electronic features, over all practicality such as "the doors are too small" or "the turning circle is great" …… etc. and of course the all important performance such as fuel efficiency and 0-60 performance (and more importantly the 60-0!).

The Fortuner 3.0 V 4x2 AT bests the Pajero Sport GT on safety with it's VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) - otherwise they both have BA, EBD, ABS and 2x Airbags.

Here's some more performance numbers (measured using a G-Tech/Pro)

0-100 KM/Hr - average of 4 runs:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4X4: 15.12

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X4: 13.28

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X2: 12.71

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4X4: 13.91

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4X2: 15.11

80-120km/hr, average of 4 runs:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 11.35

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 10.3

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 10.14

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 10.86

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 12.35

Top Speed:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 160 @ 4300/4th

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 185 @ 3500/4th

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x2: 185 @ 3500/4th

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 182 @ 3600/4th

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 172 @ 3400/4th

Fuel Economy (@110km/hr, 94km highway route):

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 9.02 km/l

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 10.63 km/l

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 12.37 km/l

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 11.61 km/l

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 12.68 km/l

Braking 100km/hr - 0, average of two runs (dry, factory wheels/tires @ recommended inflation):

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4 with 265/65R17: 43.3M

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4 with 265/70R16: 45.2M (Note: 2009 Model - the 2010 has 17" wheels)

I don't normally share my subjective thoughts, but NVH (in cabin) is pretty similar, as is ride quality (except Fortuner Sportivo - it's hard as a rock). Styling is a matter of personal preference and level of importance I guess. I'm quite particular about interior aesthetics (that's what I see the most right? :) ), which in the end tipped the balance in favor of the Pajero Sport for me. YMMV :D

At the end of the day, they're both really quite close - the PJS has a little less power and no VSC, but a nicer/more practical interior and keener price to offset. Whatever you choose, you'll be delighted - they're great motors for the money. On a different day with the wind coming from a different direction, I could have just as easily bought the Fortuner ;P

Sorry for edits - I can't spell today

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

From what I have read, it would seem that some people are of the opinion that in terms of safety, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sporty is in fact better than the Fortuner.

Just want to clarify that I never said that :)

All I did is provide counter-evidence to another poster's quite serious but flawed assertation that an Estima (MPV) is safer than the SUV's being discussed ;)

Here's some measured differences, if it helps:

0-100km/hr:

80-120km/hr:

Top Speed:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 160 @ 4,300 rpm

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

Highway Fuel Economy (@110km/hr):

The above list (unless I am mistaken) should be corrected to show the 2.7V model runs on gasoline and is in fact 4x2?

Here's some measured differences, if it helps:

0-100km/hr:

80-120km/hr:

Top Speed:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 160 @ 4,300 rpm

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

Highway Fuel Economy (@110km/hr):

The above list (unless I am mistaken) should be corrected to show the 2.7V model runs on gasoline and is in fact 4x2?

2,7 petrol has been made with 4x4 and 4x2

It comes with another final ratio than the diesels, providing acceptable milage at constant speed but very thirsty in reality. Its simply underpowered for this weight and ratio, as can be seen in top speed performance, barely able to reach max tourque in 4th gear auto and far away from max hp in same gear.

Well that sorts an argument out. An American guy with a 2.7 Fortuner said it would see off my 3.0 D Vigo, l said no way chum, mind you he didn't know about my additional race chip, should have raced him. :D

yeah, you should. He would leave you behind until you reach max tourque in 1st gear at 1400 rpm, then its all yours. Like a transam:D

and when you want to race, spend 7 baht on some ice on top of the intercooler. There is nothing like cold O2:P .

Well that sorts an argument out. An American guy with a 2.7 Fortuner said it would see off my 3.0 D Vigo, l said no way chum, mind you he didn't know about my additional race chip, should have raced him. :D

I'm dissapointed TA - you should have known better with all the discussions we've had on these forums :D

No chip necessary to see off a 2.7L Fortuner or VIGO - you could even have them in an AT Yaris :)

As for turbo lag, just use the brake + throttle for a bit of manual "launch control" and there is no lag - I use this method from time-to-time to see off all the young "fast & furious" boy racers we get around here in their old Civics & Corollas with monster exhaust pipes heehehe :)

Don't overdo it though, or you'll just sit there smoking rubber..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I'm dissapointed TA - you should have known better with all the discussions we've had on these forums :D

No chip necessary to see off a 2.7L Fortuner or VIGO - you could even have them in an AT Yaris :)

As for turbo lag, just use the brake + throttle for a bit of manual "launch control" and there is no lag - I use this method from time-to-time to see off all the young "fast & furious" boy racers we get around here in their old Civics & Corollas with monster exhaust pipes heehehe :)

Don't overdo it though, or you'll just sit there smoking rubber..

3-4 year old 16" Michelin and limited slip you smoke rubber anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

He did say, ' But it's noisey ' l said ' not inside ' :)

Having sat inside a diesel and gasoline Fortuner for comparison I found the latter much quieter, and preferable for city driving. Not sure if its a market thing or noise regs, but 90% of Manilas (Philippines) Fortuners are gasoline. Seems opposite in Bangkok. Ymmv.

Edited by Digitalbanana

He did say, ' But it's noisey ' l said ' not inside ' :)

Having sat inside a diesel and gasoline Fortuner for comparison I found the latter much quieter, and preferable for city driving. Not sure if its a market thing or noise regs, but 90% of Manilas (Philippines) Fortuners are gasoline. Seems opposite in Bangkok. Ymmv.

same for Malaysia

Fortuner are luxury vehicles in these market, while they are mainstream here in LOS. Gasoline feels more luxury, but is less expensive to manufactor.

Fortuner gasoline is more quiet at idle and low speed, but on highway its similar, and full throttle gasoline is more noisy/higher revs.

Fuel cost of driving Fortuner gasoline is 50% more, and performing less

In Europe 70-90% of all new cars are now diesels, and +99% of all SUV/pickup/van.

From what I have read, it would seem that some people are of the opinion that in terms of safety, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sporty is in fact better than the Fortuner.

Just want to clarify that I never said that :)

All I did is provide counter-evidence to another poster's quite serious but flawed assertation that an Estima (MPV) is safer than the SUV's being discussed ;)

I didn't mean to imply you did :)

I should have said "from what I have read so far, I have inferred that the MPS is in fact safer than the Fortuner" .... :) ...... that is what I meant to convey :)

I currently have a Fortuner and an X3, but in the past had a G-wagon which let you switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I will admit it was in 2 wheel drive > 90% of the time (for economy), but it did slide around a bit in the wet if left there, but became a lot better behaved when switched to 4wd.

I currently have a Fortuner and an X3, but in the past had a G-wagon which let you switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I will admit it was in 2 wheel drive > 90% of the time (for economy), but it did slide around a bit in the wet if left there, but became a lot better behaved when switched to 4wd.

Fortuners full time 4wd increases traction a lot, similar feeling to my 1993 Range Rover, which was able of higher G force than many sports-sedans at that time

• 1 month later...

If you are never going to be going off road then just the 4x2 will be better. If not you are dragging all the extra weight of the extra gearbox and transfer box which makes the car slower and less fuel efficient

Good all round article and apart from the whingers - quite helpful.

Off to order a Pajero Sport 4*2

Another suv on the road......

• Like 1

For the information of posters on this thread. There is a fairly large movement of DOO GOODERS in Australia pedalling the anti-4x4 wagon & making alot of noise about stuff most of them are unqualified to make noise about. I don't think any of the qualified people don't recognised there are some issues with large 4x4 vehicles within urban limits BUT a good portion of Australia has a combination of either very poor rural roads & dirt constructed carriageway. Alot of people in rural Australia drive 4x4's by necessity.

To bring this information onto Thailand, its also very similar to some of the roads and rural areas of north eastern, northern and southern Thailand. I've cruised around Isaan in a Toyota Camry, which in itself is a lovely vehicle to drive but constantly found myself cringing and cursing at what I was driving on & concerned with damage to the vehicle itself. For Bangkok, I would choose the Camry everytime, for other roads theres no comparo, a 4x4 (even 4x4 fortuner) will make some of the rural stretches much more enjoyable.

Most importantly, cars (4x4's) don't kill people, its the people behind the wheel of the individual vehicles that really count.