Thai Apologises For Kicking Senator Off Aircraft

george

THAI apologises for ordering disgruntled senator off aircraft

BANGKOK: Thai Airways International (THAI) yesterday offered a formal apology to a senator who had a heated argument with a flight crew over seating changes and was ordered to leave the aircraft by the captain. Suthep Suebsantiwongse, executive vice president of THAI’s Commercial Department, told a press conference at the Transport Ministry yesterday that the incident was the result of a “technicality”.

On November 8, Chanthaburi Senator Preecha Pitanont, who had a reserved seat in business class to fly to Khon Kaen, checked in late and had to settle for an economy class seat.

The senator expressed his resentment on board upon seeing that some Cabinet members and MPs in business class got their seats without making reservations.

The flight captain later announced through the PA system that Preecha was a “dangerous person” and had to leave the plane immediately. Armed security guards were later sent in.

The senator was finally allowed to remain on board after his colleagues and some ministers on the plane assured the crew that he would remain calm throughout the flight.

Preecha told a Senate meeting yesterday that he “just made inquiries” without yelling. He said the pilot had overreacted, a stance supported by many of his colleagues.

Suthep said yesterday that he would meet Preecha in person later this week to offer a formal apology in the form of garland. He said he had explained the matter to the Upper House.

--The Nation 2003-11-18

Strange story indeed. The Bangkok Post had the following update today:

Senator to receive airline's apology

Economy seat sparks row aboard jetliner

Thai Airways International will apologise to a senator and his wife who were kicked off its Khon Kaen-bound plane on Nov 8 for allegedly delaying the flight for more than half an hour.

Suthep Suebsantiwongse, the airline's executive vice-president for commercial affairs, said yesterday that THAI would send flowers and words of apology to Chanthaburi senator Preecha Pintanont and his wife.

The couple, holding business-class tickets, were given economy-class seats when checking in. They were told all the business-class seats were already taken.

``It was a technical mistake. We were short of two business-class seats, and the senator and his wife checked in late too,'' said Mr Suthep.

``But as a service provider, we are ready to take it as our own fault and apologise for the incident.''

He said the ``technical problem'' occurred because the aircraft for that flight had been changed from an Airbus with 14 business-class seats to a Boeing with 12 business-class seats.

Mr Suthep also pointed out it was within the power of the aircraft captain to ask the senator and his wife to leave the plane.

Early reports said the captain had announced from the cabin that the couple were considered dangerous. He then ordered security guards to take them away.

A THAI source said it was not unusual for politicians and celebrities to check in late.

``The check-in counter is closed 30 minutes before a flight's departure. Many of these people often show up just minutes before take-off time,'' the source said.

Mr Preecha told the Senate yesterday that he did what he did only to defend his rights.

He arrived at the airport at 6.05 am for the flight scheduled to leave at 6.45 am and proceeded in line with the check-in procedures, the senator said.

``I joined the queue just like the others. But then I was told the seats were all taken. They offered a refund but I didn't want it.''

He then boarded the plane and demanded to know if the passengers in the business-class seats had booked their tickets before he did.

``But no one explained anything. I went to the economy class but the captain then asked me to leave the plane and announced that I was a dangerous person,'' he said.

A number of politicians including Industry Minister Pinit Charusombat were on board the aircraft, Mr Preecha said. The senate transport panel said it would launch an inquiry.

Bangkok senator Kaewsan Atipho said he believed the matter was more about THAI's service quality than the senator's dignity.