Koh Samed - History

zappalot

Does anyone have some information about the the history of the island koh samed?

its quite difficult to find some information, but it seems there already was some development in the early 1990s.

Have there been huts at this time, or even hotels?

Have anyone been there before the mainstream got there?

i was there in 1987 and then the east side of the island had lots of bungalow operations (both concrete and wooden buildings) all down the east coast as far as i recall.(of course nothing

like the density now but lots anyway.)

No "hotels" as such, probably the closest to that were the bungalows in the far south of the island, is that "Horseshoe Bay" or something?

The west side i think just had 1 or 2 reached by a very narrow track (couldnt get a car down it, had to walk.

Hi.Koh Samed Was closed from 1978 - Oct 1981 by the Thai Government due to an outbreak of malaria / dengue fever. Before this, the island was a great ;get away location for local bangkokians who used to overnight in local makeshift huts or camped out in tents, there was no electricity or running water facilities, no-one lived on the island, the visitors brought over their provisions from local shops in ban phe,& in those days there was not a regular ferry service you just gave money to the local fishermen in ban phe to take you across, i first came to koh samed when it was closed to visitors in 1979. - there were signs everywhere warning people not to enter. - we ignored these signs and explored, we first landed on saikaew beach - there was nothing only old unused huts and forrest & a pristeen beach. it was total heaven! As we went inland it was all forrest with sandy tracks and not a sole in sight - as we got back into the boat to do the island tour all you saw was the trees & pristeen coves with the odd hut, when the thai department of national parks came in 1981 they constructed a makeshift pier which is now "nadan" and flattened a few of the trees to make a road down to the saikaew beach, the island finally opened again for business in october 1981 in the beginning the park rangers made a killing ;hiring out the old huts & tents and selling whiskey / beer / water. to visitors. As time went on, three more roads were made and locals moved in paying rent to the dept national parks for the construction of small holiday resorts. Then the visitors arrived in there hundreds once the island was opened again.i have lived on koh samed since1985, although a british national, i now have thai nationality.

hope this is helpful

Edited by mallorca284673

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.Koh Samed Was closed from 1978 - Oct 1981 by the Thai Government due to an outbreak of malaria / dengue fever. Before this, the island was a great ;get away location for local bangkokians who used to overnight in local makeshift huts or camped out in tents, there was no electricity or running water facilities, no-one lived on the island, the visitors brought over their provisions from local shops in ban phe,& in those days there was not a regular ferry service you just gave money to the local fishermen in ban phe to take you across, i first came to koh samed when it was closed to visitors in 1979. - there were signs everywhere warning people not to enter. - we ignored these signs and explored, we first landed on saikaew beach - there was nothing only old unused huts and forrest & a pristeen beach. it was total heaven! As we went inland it was all forrest with sandy tracks and not a sole in sight - as we got back into the boat to do the island tour all you saw was the trees & pristeen coves with the odd hut, when the thai department of national parks came in 1981 they constructed a makeshift pier which is now "nadan" and flattened a few of the trees to make a road down to the saikaew beach, the island finally opened again for business in october 1981 in the beginning the park rangers made a killing ;hiring out the old huts & tents and selling whiskey / beer / water. to visitors. As time went on, three more roads were made and locals moved in paying rent to the dept national parks for the construction of small holiday resorts. Then the visitors arrived in there hundreds once the island was opened again.i have lived on koh samed since1985, although a british national, i now have thai nationality.

hope this is helpful

S.....is that you?

Hi.Koh Samed Was closed from 1978 - Oct 1981 by the Thai Government ...

thank u very much, these are the information i was searching for. very interesting.

Get yourself down to Ao Pai / Tubtim an hour before sunset, I'm sure the Iranian chap would tell you its history over a couple of sundowners. You can't miss him, he looks like a pirate.

Hi.Koh Samed Was closed from 1978 - Oct 1981 by the Thai Government ...

thank u very much, these are the information i was searching for. very interesting.

Get yourself down to Ao Pai / Tubtim an hour before sunset, I'm sure the Iranian chap would tell you its history over a couple of sundowners. You can't miss him, he looks like a pirate.

i agree with Desertexile, go and see the old artists hut on the entrance to Ao-phai / Ao Tubtim he's been there for years - you cannot miss his house it looks like an art gallery -

take a look at his house on http://kohsamed.net - under things to do - he'll tell you everything.

enjoy

• 9 months later...