World Cup 2010 - F I N A L --- Holland - Spain

LaoPo

WORLD CUP 2010 SOUTH AFRICA  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

howard webb is an appalling referee and i sincerely hope he doesn't ruin the world cup final.

I think Howard Webb is a fair man.

LaoPo

1: first: congratulations to Spain. They played a better game than Holland although Holland could have also won with some excellent chances.

2. But......you were right StevieH and I was too optimistic:

Webb DID ruin the final; he handed an absolute record number of yellow cards (NEVER on a final before) and more to the Dutch than Spaniards and spoiled the game completely; as if he wanted to make up for his first match from Spain against Switzerland where he made doubtful decisions also.

3. It wasn't a final as we all hoped for :( and the final and decisive goal was made out of an absolute offside situation...but ala....Spain won.

Cheers to Espana!

LaoPo

Thank God for football that Spain won. The Dutch were dreadfully cynical. Van Bommel again should have walked as well as De Jong. In that respect Webb was too lenient. If players in general have a disregard for the rules cards will inevitably be shown.

I would not consider Howard Webb ruined the game. The cynicism of the Dutch and the caution of both sides made it a very forgettable game.

Overall, to me it was a very exciting World Cup. Excepting the final game which would only be exciting for Spain supporters as the game was dreary until the very end. Happy for the people of Spain and very sad for the Dutch. Coming so close and blowing it is never fun.

The South Africans did great though as hosts!

Edited by Jingthing

Happy for the people of Spain and very sad for the Dutch.

I am still (a bit) happy...........

In fact the Dutch school of football, brought to Spain by EL SALVADOR - THE SAVIOR, Johan Cruyff, ended with this Spanish' World Cup since there were 7 players from Barcelona in this team and just 3 from Madrid.

Insiders will know what I mean.

In fact, the people from Barcelona's Autonomous Community of Calalunya wished Holland would have won.....the Spanish people and the Catalunyan people do not mix and hate each other because of what the Franco regime did to the Catalunyan people.

They speak their own language and are extremely proud people and I have no doubt that the Catalan people will celebrate this World Cup as belonging to Catalunya for most part.

After all, they pay most of the tax income to the Madrid government also....and...delivered the best Spanish players to the World Cup :rolleyes:

Difficult to understand but people who know a bit about Spain will know what I mean.

Spain needs this victory badly because economical wise they're in deep trouble with 20% of the labour force being unemployed and more than 40% amongst young people up to 25...:(

VIVA ESPANA :P

LaoPo

Yes, it was a boring game. I watched the first 45 minutes, but then watched the ladies Open golf. During commercials, I watched futbol.

Maybe it was G_D, or the octopuss, but how could they allow that goal? It made a mockery of the sport. I, honestly, don't know the rules of the game that well, but I learned what off-sides was, finally. Maybe the officials were watching the Open, too, but it occured where all the action was. The man who eventually scored was clearly standing in the zone for awhile. The weird part is how the news, and the commentators at the game, dismissed the obvious. That's not to say Spain wouldn't have eventually won, but come on. After all that hype and interest, much less the effort, that the cup should end like that. There'd be riots in the streets here.

I just wanted to ask how Spain had gotten a man advantage when the winner was scored. I missed that. Thankfully.

Edited by Shotime

Yes, it was a boring game. I watched the first 45 minutes, but then watched the ladies Open golf. During commercials, I watched futbol.

Maybe it was G_D, or the octopuss, but how could they allow that goal? It made a mockery of the sport. I, honestly, don't know the rules of the game that well, but I learned what off-sides was, finally. Maybe the officials were watching the Open, too, but it occured where all the action was. The man who eventually scored was clearly standing in the zone for awhile. The weird part is how the news, and the commentators at the game, dismissed the obvious. That's not to say Spain wouldn't have eventually won, but come on. After all that hype and interest, much less the effort, that the cup should end like that. There'd be riots in the streets here.

I just wanted to ask how Spain had gotten a man advantage when the winner was scored. I missed that. Thankfully.

Have a look at the goal again and you will see he is clearly onside.

Congrats to Spain.

Really difficult game for the ref due to the amount of fouls committed.

The goal.

The scorer was initially in an offside position, but came back onside before the ball was played to him, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

De Jong should have been sent off for the kung-<deleted> kick, if Robben had gone down under the challenge from Puyol as they raced towards Spains area he would have a freekick outside the box and Puyol possibly sent off (2nd yellow), but he did'nt and carried on and the keeper got the ball first.

I was falling asleep at times of the game, but I believed the best team won.

Now its all over I can look forward to getting some sleep at nights now.

Cheers

Yes agreed.

They did didn't they.

I think that Holland should be given credit for reaching the finals also, but "there can be only one" ( quote from Conner Mcloud of the Clan McCloud in the Highlander).

Is Arjen Robben the best ref heckler in the game?

I've never seen anyone complain so much about every decision that did not go HIS way...and he deservedley wore out Howard's patience and rightly got booked.

He annoyed me so much that I was glad to see Spain win

Congrats to Spain in becoming World Champions but it was a very forgettable final......unfortunately.

The Dutch got in and amongst the Spanish midfield and stopped them from playing their normal passing game.

Not pretty to watch and a difficult match to referee......Heitinga possibly a bit unlucky but Van Bommel could have been sent off before half time.

The Spanish brought on Jesus as sub in the second half but even he couldnt produce a miracle to rescue the game from mediocrity !

And Torres.....comes on as sub in the second period of extra time and pulls his hamstring.....whats with this guy and all his injuries ?

Its rumoured that Liverpool have now dropped their 100m price tag on him and are considering a straight swap for Emile Heskey instead......but Aston Villa arent too keen !cool.gif

3. It wasn't a final as we all hoped for :( and the final and decisive goal was made out of an absolute offside situation...but ala....Spain won.

LaoPo

The player was coming back from an offsite position, but in that position he was not active in the game.

The ball/game was on the left side and he was on the right side, not interfering with the game and not gaining advantage from his position (ex: ball hitting the bar or another player).

So the referee did not have to call the offsite.

After when he received the ball (active in the game), he was no longer in an offsite position.

This is Law 11 of the Laws of the Game, with a good explanation:

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

And Spain deserved to win.

You just can't win a game by systematically committing fouls 35 to 45 meters from your goals.

A red card should have been awarded for the Karate action.

A bit unfortunate for the Dutch. If Robben would have scored with just Casillas to beat...who knows. In the end Spain deserved the win and they looked the better and more dangerous team especially after Fabregas was brought on.

Is Arjen Robben the best ref heckler in the game?

I've never seen anyone complain so much about every decision that did not go HIS way...and he deservedley wore out Howard's patience and rightly got booked.

He annoyed me so much that I was glad to see Spain win

As he ran half the length of the pitch to catch the ref up, shouting as he did so, I was thinking that he was actually going to land one on Howard Webb, just as well he didn't as Howard would have had him in a head lock before slapping the cuffs on!

I thought it was interesting why he didn't go down when he was tangling with Puyol, he had gone been going down far too easily in the previous games.

Dog average stuff, It would have been a travesty if the Dutch had come out of this with anything from that display.

The stars of the world cup were Van Bommel (for somehow not being sent off) and, by a fair margin Paul the octopus.

Edited by carmine

2. But......you were right StevieH and I was too optimistic:

Webb DID ruin the final; he handed an absolute record number of yellow cards (NEVER on a final before) and more to the Dutch than Spaniards and spoiled the game completely; as if he wanted to make up for his first match from Spain against Switzerland where he made doubtful decisions also.

Well the guy who wrongly said the English kept making excuses for their performance, cant see the woods for the trees.

It was the Dutch that ruined the final for kicking shyt out of the Spanish, it certainly wasnt the referees fault.

I cant believe youre insinuating some kind of bias by saying the Dutch got more cards.

In fact the Dutch school of football, brought to Spain by EL SALVADOR - THE SAVIOR, Johan Cruyff, ended with this Spanish' World Cup since there were 7 players from Barcelona in this team and just 3 from Madrid.

Insiders will know what I mean.

I think you are completely right. And in Spain few people will doubt it I think.

In fact, the people from Barcelona's Autonomous Community of Calalunya wished Holland would have won.....the Spanish people and the Catalunyan people do not mix and hate each other because of what the Franco regime did to the Catalunyan people.

I don't think "people hate each other". In fact, I never found a person in A (be it Madrid or Catalonia) hating a person on B just because of that fact. Never at all (and, not trying to be offensive, but it'd be really childish to do it) Lately (last decades) it has become more and more a political power struggle where each part tries to gain / retain power. Nationalism is a powerful way to get votes. Catalonia is not the only region in Europe doing this. Will we see two Belgiums? Scotland independent? Is Baviera on his way too? I don't know the situation in Germany, but somehow every time I hear about the Autonomous Communities in Spain I wonder how is the political situation in the german Länders.

After all, they pay most of the tax income to the Madrid government also....and...delivered the best Spanish players to the World Cup :rolleyes:

I think Madrid pays the biggest share in Spain taxes, with much of that money being sent to Andalucia (south of Spain). No one is complaining about that though.

Spain needs this victory badly because economical wise they're in deep trouble with 20% of the labour force being unemployed and more than 40% amongst young people up to 25...:(

I wish this victory could improve the situation, but I don't see any connections with it at all…

Anyway, this was a thread about the match. I'm happy that Spain won it, but I agree with other posters that it was rather boring. Also some times you didn't know if there were trying to score a goal or an ippon.

Edited by juanmedin

Pathetic Holland, again ( ! ) stupid referee, headless Spain...

The better team become 3 rd.

There wasn't one yellow card that wasn't warranted in the present day 'interpretation' of the rules.I didn't see the red card incident in extra time as I was desperate to avoid another 30 mins. of tedium.Total football? More like total boredom.Sam Alladyce would have been have admired Holland's tactics.

He didn't ruin the game LaoPo. The players (mainly Dutch) ruined the game. They left him with no option but to dish out that amount of yellows.

Pathetic Holland, again ( ! ) stupid referee, headless Spain...

The better team become 3 rd.

There wasn't one yellow card that wasn't warranted in the present day 'interpretation' of the rules.I didn't see the red card incident in extra time as I was desperate to avoid another 30 mins. of tedium.Total football? More like total boredom.Sam Alladyce would have been have admired Holland's tactics.

Oh <deleted>..... You just fell asleep didn't you?

How come all the refs have shaved heads and look alike? Are they human?

I did watch it again, and the scorer was clearly off-sides. Maybe I don't understand the rules, but I thought the ball had to be in the zone before the player.

I really don't care. Just wondering.