Peacock Tail Trees

Iolare

These are the native trees that have the flaming red-orange flowers this time of year. I think they're beutiful any time of year with their deep green leaves and lighter green new growth. but when they blossom they're spectacular. I'd like to plant four or five of them on my property, but haven't found any available for sale. Does anyone know where to purchase a few for transplant? Here's a poto of the tree. Any help in locating a few would be much appreciated.

post-46635-067237700 1278643922_thumb.jp

Edited by Iolare

There are two varieties of Peacock Tail in Thailand. Your photo shows the tree, which is less common (around Pattaya) than the shrub version.

I think I've seen the shrub at the weekend plant sale on Sukhumvit Road in North Pattaya, across from the Honda dealership. If you really want the tree, and don't mind waiting a lifetime for it to grow, maybe one of the vendors at the weekend market can advise.

FYI, as far as I know, both are referred to in Thai as ต้นหางนกยูง but they are not quite the same. The shrub has small spikes and the tree does not.

What you are refering to is the Flame tree. There are several different species and they are mostly native to India.

I bought one for my garden ten years ago when it was a small sapling.

I wouldn't advise planting so many as thay can get very big.

As for buying one, as I have never seen one for sale either, best to ask the nursery if they can get hold of one.

If it's worth their while, they'll find one.

What you are refering to is the Flame tree...

Yes, the larger one is more often called a Flame tree. Some still say "Royal Poinciana" although it is no longer classified as a poinciana.

I prefer the Peacock Tail shrub. The two sois in our mooban are lined with them, the largest being around 4 meters. Most are red but there are some yellow ones. They are easily shaped, or they can be left to grow wide.

I must retract what I said about waiting a lifetime. The Flame tree grows quickly and can reach 13 meters. Don't put it next to the house. :)

FYI, if you don't enjoy sweeping, both the Flame Tree (Delonix Regia) and the Peacock Tail (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) are messy on the ground beneath.

What you are refering to is the Flame tree. There are several different species and they are mostly native to India.

As for buying one, as I have never seen one for sale either, best to ask the nursery if they can get hold of one.

Yes the colour against a green background is perfect. I bought three saplings in Chumphon seven years ago and planted them in our garden here on Samui. They were a foot high then and no sign of flowers until this year when the trees really exploded with colour !

Thank you all for the information. I was told the tree was native and called a peacock tree, so now I'm learning much more. Special thanks to mahjengguy for the e-mail referral. I just sent a note to Ben and we'll see what response I get from him. I inquired at a few nurseries in Phuket and one over the Sarasin Bridge near my area and they all said that they could probably source them in Bangkok. I decided to try this site to see if I could buy them locally.

My plan is to plant two of the trees next to a pond I had dug at the bottom of the hill my house sits on, so dropping leaves and flowers shouldn't be too much of a problem down there, although I am having the lawn extended down to the pond. Two would be up hear the entry gate, so none of them would be close to the house. Here's a picture of the pond location for the trees.

post-46635-011092900 1278678172_thumb.jp