Img International Global Medical Insurance

A recent change in circumstances has allowed me to consider purchasing medical insurance for my family if I can find something affordable. I am 40, my wife is 32, and my twins are each 5 weeks old.

I have looked at the premiums for something like BUPA and was appalled. For just myself it seems they want over 50,000 baht, and the coverage is nothing to get excited about. Adding the family pushes it over 100k. That is more than I want to pay for what amounts to barely adequate coverage.

There is a company called IMG (International Medical Group, underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation, and administered by Akesco Care Management) out of the US that offers global coverage anywhere in the world except for the US and Canada for much more realistic prices. Things I like about this policy are $600 USD per day benefit for room and board. Since at most nice hospitals in Thailand a private room is around 6000 - 7000 baht per day, this is easily covered. By contrast, the Thai policies are incredibly stingy in this regard. Another nice thing about the policy from IMG is the daily indemnity. They pay you directly $100 (3200 baht) per day for every day you are in the hospital. This is to cover anything you want, transportation charges, gifts, lost wages, options they won't otherwise cover, or just a bonus for being ill.  

The annual deductible for the policy is $250 (8100 baht) per family member, or $750 (24,300 baht) per family, whichever is less. Beyond that, they pay 100% of what they consider customary and reasonable, but the customary and reasonable charges seem very reasonable by Thai standards. Premium for my entire family is $2611 (85,000 baht) per year, but the first year comes with a $464 discount, and the second year of coverage is discounted $232. So first year coverage if I want to try it out is only 70,000 baht. Lifetime maximum limit per individual is $5 million (162 million baht).

The main thing I don't like about this policy, is that it is a pay first get reimbursed later plan. That sounds like it is something just ripe for being abused by the company. Also, every claim needs to be preauthorized before treatment is administered, or within 48 hours of being admitted in the case of an emergency.  That includes any treatment that you will be paying for yourself but want to apply towards your deductible. That requirement could be onerous if there is nobody at the hospital who can speak English well enough to give me practical answers for the preauthorization questions.  It could also be a real challenge if I am the one who is caught up in an emergency, as nobody else in my family speaks English.

My real concern though is simply whether the company is reliable or not. They put up a nice web page, but are they legitimate? Does anyone have any real experience with them? Can anyone recommend someone else who would have a similarly priced plan with similar coverage levels, but possibly be easier to work with?

Does anyone have first hand experience with IMG? Are they reasonable to work with? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks for any information.

Sure... I have first hand experience with IMG. After filling out their form in detail and with requisite accuracy, I received the following:

Thank you for your application for Global Medical Insurance® Gold. Unfortunately, your application has been declined for medical reasons. 
International Medical Group®, Inc.

Before you spend too much time deciding whether you want them, better be sure that THEY want YOU.

Thai Visa Insurance can now offer a 'high' end medical policy with 100% coverage of US%1m. This policy is primarily designed for those who live in Thailand and will pay direct to the hospitals.

The premium for an individual is US$2,773 and for a family (husband/wife and children) US5,088. Note, these premiums are for the 31 to 65 age group.

IMG Global has direct billing with some Thailand hospitals, including Bumrungrad, Mission Hospital, Phayathai Hospital, and Bangkok General (not only reimbursement). I believe pre-certification is only for some conditions outlined in their policy.

Excellent deal when you look at the specs vs. the premiums.

However, as with many (maybe all?) insurance providers, there are complaints from customers feeling they have been unfairly not covered because of supposed pre-existing conditions which the customers either deny they have or say they didn't know they had. See below (note that complaining customers *might* be a minority of cases, or they may not be telling the whole story):

http://www.complaints.com/october2003/complaintoftheday.october4.12.htm

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Thai Visa Insurance can now offer a 'high' end medical policy with 100% coverage of US%1m. This policy is primarily designed for those who live in Thailand and will pay direct to the hospitals.

The premium for an individual is US$2,773 and for a family (husband/wife and children) US5,088. Note, these premiums are for the 31 to 65 age group.

Is it possible to insure after the age of 65