Motorcycle Crash

My ex was in an accident on his CBR1000rr recently. It is still at the police station. He has been told that he has to sign it out so the bike shop can pick it up.. What can he expect? Will he have to pay a lot of fines or bribes?? The crash happened when a car cut him. He did not have time to stop and ran right in the back of it.

Thanks

If the bike is legal. then probably just a day storage charge at most. Did the respective insurance companies turn up at the scene of the accident and sort it out. where there any witnesess. same thing happened to me luckily i had a witness and the police told the truck driver it was his fault so his insurance repaired my bike. it never even got impounded.

If the bike is legal. then probably just a day storage charge at most. Did the respective insurance companies turn up at the scene of the accident and sort it out. where there any witnesess. same thing happened to me luckily i had a witness and the police told the truck driver it was his fault so his insurance repaired my bike. it never even got impounded.

Yes the bike is legal. He was in the accident almost a week ago and in the hospital for 2 nights. He knows that they asked him if he had insurance, which is yes and where the card was and thats it, He does not know if there was witnesses or if the insurance people came to the scene. He did find out the other day that the lady's car he hit will be in the repair shop for a month.

I've had this happen a few times. Aggressive overtaking, then they turn to the left. Forcing you to brake. Out of sight, out of mind?

Then there are those drivers who pull out into fast traffic. Make that biker swerve or brake - or just veer into his path and see whether he gets out of the way.

Tell him NOT to sign anything he cannot read. They may talk this way and then make him sign the usual stuff, turning it into some sort of confession. Ask me how I know this :ph34r:

Is the "ex" foreign or Thai? Bike has first class insurance or no? Driver "ex" has valid Thai license or no? "Ex" is the legal owner of the bike? Hard to give advice without knowing these pertinent details...

My Ex is foreign and the bike is legally his. He has a valid Thai morotcycle license. I know he has insurance but I do not know what kind... Oh yes and he is in BKK..

Peregrine8

My Ex finally went in today with a Thai friend. It turns out his bike is not insuranced. It can not be insured since it is not recognized in Thailand. He will have to pay for the bike and the ladys car. He has an appointment Thursday evening to find out more info.

Peregrine8

diving an unregistered and uninsured bike.. Thats going to be expensive..

Thats the strange thing he has legal license plate on the bike and he had insurance. They 1st told him he did not have any insurance but then he went through his paper work and found his insurance papers. It turned out the only thing he was covered for was if he hit a pedestrian and killed him.. At least that was how it was explained to him yesterday. I do not know why they would give him plates for his bike when Thailand does not recognize that type of bike.. Oh well..

Peregrine8

Thats the strange thing he has legal license plate on the bike and he had insurance. They 1st told him he did not have any insurance but then he went through his paper work and found his insurance papers. It turned out the only thing he was covered for was if he hit a pedestrian and killed him.. At least that was how it was explained to him yesterday. I do not know why they would give him plates for his bike when Thailand does not recognize that type of bike.. Oh well..

Peregrine8

Means he probably only has the minimum insurance required by law. A bit odd he doesn't know what kind of insurance he has? Sounds to me like the bike is registered but under-insured. Ouch- expensive mistake!

Peregrine8

The posts are confusing.. I suspect he may have a 'grey book' or an illegal plate slapped on.. Based on your "thailand doesnt recognise that kind of plate" comments.. Thailand recognises any legally issued plate.. They dont recognise any illegal plates.. Lots of big bikes are illegally plated here.

Plus he didnt get proper insurance, possibly he took only the legal min government insurance (which aint worth a dam_n).. Wish him well, but this sounds like a real expensive proposition.

You need the minimum insurance to get the annual road tax for the bike.

When he paid for the insurance, alarm bells should be ringing very loud.

For one. The minimum only costs summat like 400 baht. Two. Insurance need to take photos of the bike. If none taken then you better ask why. Three. A valuation of the bike is needed. To gauge how much to charge insurance. Four. You get a thick wad of insurance papers to keep.

Anyhooter more importantly your "Ex" walked away from the accident. Now would also be the time to buy a lottery ticket.

Peregrine8

The posts are confusing.. I suspect he may have a 'grey book' or an illegal plate slapped on.. Based on your "thailand doesnt recognise that kind of plate" comments.. Thailand recognises any legally issued plate.. They dont recognise any illegal plates.. Lots of big bikes are illegally plated here.

Plus he didnt get proper insurance, possibly he took only the legal min government insurance (which aint worth a dam_n).. Wish him well, but this sounds like a real expensive proposition.

Sorry to be confusing.. The plates are legal. The guy at the police station told him that his bike was not recognized by Thailand and so it could not be fully insured. I guess when my ex bought the insurance he thought he was fully covered. The insurance agent did not speak very much English...

This i find interesting...legal plates but bike not recognised in thailand? I personally have never heard this , but there is always new things to learn about. Not sure if the Police Guy told the right thing though. The more i read the more i feel some Lawyers advise could be good help for your ex?

Hope this find some good end,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Does the bike have a green book?

good question...we talking about plates not even knowing if there is a green book or not...if there is no green book the bike isnt legal and the plates maybe legal -but not on a bike without green book.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

This i find interesting...legal plates but bike not recognised in thailand? I personally have never heard this , but there is always new things to learn about. Not sure if the Police Guy told the right thing though. The more i read the more i feel some Lawyers advise could be good help for your ex?

Hope this find some good end,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I just called him.. He said that he does have the green book and the bike had to go through all these extra tests to get the plates since the bike is not recognized here. He said at the time he purchased the insurance he thought he was fully covered . Since he did not fully believe the police about his insurance coverage he went and talked (with a Thai friend) to his insurance guy here a about a couple of hours ago. He now knows that he has 3rd class insurance and could not get any better then that since the bike is not recognized here... .. I did advice on the lawyer but he does not want to take that route... Oh well

Peregrine8

ok that makes it clearer. Firstly i understand that your ex was cut by a car and hit into the car that cut him? or did he hit into another car ?

whatever it is he hit a car and unless the one can be found and admits that he cut him ( or witness says so) than it is likely your ex to be the guilty party (even it may sound unfair as the one who cut is the guilty one but who gets the blame if that can't be established ??)

About 3rd Party insurance they supposed to pay the damage on the car but your ex will need to cover his own bikes damage . This at least in the "perfect world" i do think the statement that the bike is not recognised in thailand is false ,if this is a genuine green book with all nr correct and matching.

I will follow this thread with interest and hope of a acceptable outcome ,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Sorry to be confusing.. The plates are legal. The guy at the police station told him that his bike was not recognized by Thailand and so it could not be fully insured. I guess when my ex bought the insurance he thought he was fully covered. The insurance agent did not speak very much English...

Since when are the Thai police in the insurance business? "bike not recognized"?! What the <deleted> is that supposed to mean? It's got a legit green book and plate issued by the Land Transport Office right? There are a number of companies that sell first class insurance for high value motorcycles in Thailand. Sounds like your ex just didn't do his homework or thought he could get by with the cheap 3rd class insurance. Sounds like he's going to regret that decision... Som nam na... :rolleyes:

Since when are the Thai police in the insurance business? "bike not recognized"?! What the <deleted> is that supposed to mean? It's got a legit green book and plate issued by the Land Transport Office right? There are a number of companies that sell first class insurance for high value motorcycles in Thailand. Sounds like your ex just didn't do his homework or thought he could get by with the cheap 3rd class insurance. Sounds like he's going to regret that decision... Som nam na... :rolleyes:

I don't know. He seems to believe it all. He will find out Thursday what they are going to make him pay to get the bike back.. and supposedly the womens car that he ran into the back of is supposed to be in the shop for a month.. So I do not know if they are going to make him pay something right now for the car or wait until it is fixed.... I have to say that I am happy with my inexpensive little fully insured honda click... :)

Maybe the bike is over 10 years old then very difficult if not impossible to get 1st class insurance on a bike.

From what I understand it is a pretty new bike that was imported from the US by another expat.. A very nice expensive sport bike CBR 1000 rr...

Maybe the bike is over 10 years old then very difficult if not impossible to get 1st class insurance on a bike.

From what I understand it is a pretty new bike that was imported from the US by another expat.. A very nice expensive sport bike CBR 1000 rr...

In that case your Ex is an arse.

In that case your Ex is an arse.

I agree but for other reasons.... :rolleyes:

Not when its older than 10 years.. I have the same issue.. Recently a Thai bike dealer told me they knew a co that would do first class.. But it never materialized..

Course if its a harley they will.. But not a honda..

All this 'plates not recognized in Thailand' is some manner of confusion.. If its a legal plate with a legal green book, that IS recognized in Thailand.

Update

My Ex only ended up getting a 400 baht fine to get his bike out of impound (or what ever they call it here).. He will have to pay for the other drivers repairs.. He will not know what that is for a while. His bike is totalled. It will cost him 3000 US more then what he paid for it to get it fixed......

Peregrine8