3 Phase

offset

The new cable that they added was is the same size has the existing cables the new cable has just been run from the transformer not the main road that I was hoping for (problems not understanding Thai)

This doesn't change my idea about what is going on.

The PEA did half a job. They need to do the other half.

As said, the OP needs to do a maximum demand calculation to determine what size cable should be run from the source transformer to his house. There can be no doubt that the existing PEA cable is too small for the connected load. There needs to be a significant increase in cable size to solve the voltage drop problem. What size kWhr meter is installed for the house, 30(100)?

Edited by InterestedObserver

This was the original question asked in the post.

A 3 phase supply is to be supplied and he wanted to know how to balance his existing load.

All the load is single phase 220V.

But not mentioned was the main switchboard is it an existing single phase 2 wire connection or has it been upgraded to a 3 phase 4 wire connection

A max demand calculation has to be carried out and the the voltage drop to the main switchboard can be calculated.

The size of the conductors from the transformer must be known.

The PEA might only have added one extra conductor for the phase and did not upgrade the neutral.

The connection is single phase and always was single phase.

<snip>

But not mentioned was the main switchboard is it an existing single phase 2 wire connection or has it been upgraded to a 3 phase 4 wire connection

<snip>

There never was a 3-phase connection upgrade, all a translation misunderstanding. PEA offered a 3-wire, single phase connection and that is what the OP received.

question: i have a 3 x 30 amp connection and was told i could continously 'overload' by 100% which would only be the case of a total power cut when all aircons plus some other gadgets are running and power coming back. does the meter itself have no internal "breaker" if a certain nominal load is exceeded?

Doc. The overload capacity of a KWH meter pertains to it's specifications. Simply put, different models of KWH meters have different overload specs.

All of the meters used in Thailand, do not incorporate any form of overload protection.

<snip>

<snip>

There never was a 3-phase connection upgrade, all a translation misunderstanding. PEA offered a 3-wire, single phase connection and that is what the OP received.

What the PEA did was parallel an extra conductor with the existing phase conductor and left the neutral conductor as it was.

The connection was always single phase 220V 2 wire.

question: i have a 3 x 30 amp connection and was told i could continously 'overload' by 100% which would only be the case of a total power cut when all aircons plus some other gadgets are running and power coming back. does the meter itself have no internal "breaker" if a certain nominal load is exceeded?

Doc. The overload capacity of a KWH meter pertains to it's specifications. Simply put, different models of KWH meters have different overload specs.

All of the meters used in Thailand, do not incorporate any form of overload protection.

stupid me thought for 4 years that i have a 3x30amp connection (for which i paid through my nose). checking again i found out that my connection is only 3x15amps :angry: but until now i never had any problems :ph34r:

stupid me thought for 4 years that i have a 3x30amp connection (for which i paid through my nose). checking again i found out that my connection is only 3x15amps :angry: but until now i never had any problems :ph34r:

Not to worry, as long as everything is working to your satisfaction. Cable size determines the voltage drop, circuit breaker size determines load limits, the kWh meter itself contributes nothing useful to an otherwise well designed installation.