For Two Stroke Fans

seedy

Stan Stephens from Kent is modifying RD350LC engines to make 140-HP. Imagine this in a 120-Kg racing chassis. Or even a road bike. See article in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics issue No6 2010

I owned a Stan Stephens stage 2 proddie 350LC back in the early eighties which I used on the road.In it's day that was a quick bike and have I no doubt it would still feel lively today.The problem being it cost me a small

fortune in cranks and bearings.140bhp,would definately be keeping my hand over the clutch on that one,ready for the seizure.B)

Hi Spud. Never heard of the man 'til yesterday. The article states that he is using the crankcase from the 350cc Banshee quad and a one piece cylinder from a supplier in the USA. I just included the topic as a FYI because of the mucho power he is extracting. Would be a great track day bike. I have been a 2-stroke fan for years, would love to get back into the mix.

Edited by seedy

Is that bike running with a glow plug and 20% Nitromenthan as fuel?

i had the YPVS with standard 63 hp and then added oversize Wiseco pistons. It was fireworks at 6,000 rpm. A great hooligans' bike and excellent frame for twisty roads. I would love to do the Mae Hong son Loop on one, racing some locals.

All I saw was some TDR enduros with the 50 hp engine of the TZR-250. Light, powerful and not many moving parts... I'll always love strokers. But wouldn't dream of doing the tours I did with the Yamaha. Thousands of km, no panniers...

Watch out for that clacking noise -

Chris

Is that bike running with a glow plug and 20% Nitromenthan as fuel?

Chris

As above with crankcase and cylinder mods, it uses TZ750 reeds, 38mm carbs, pneumatic power valves, RD500LC clutch. Works out to 611cc. On pre-mix.

The mind boggles.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a Stan Stephens stage 2 proddie 350LC back in the early eighties which I used on the road.In it's day that was a quick bike and have I no doubt it would still feel lively today.The problem being it cost me a small

fortune in cranks and bearings.140bhp,would definately be keeping my hand over the clutch on that one,ready for the seizure.B)

Sounds like you've experienced a seizure. I had a Suzuki 250 Hustler do a quick thunk at about 70 MPH when a bottom end needle bearing failed. Powdered the piston when the parts went up the port and into the cylinder. No warning at all....just a thunk and locked up rear wheel. Getting the case apart was tough with all the bits wedged in between the crank and case. A two stroke can liven up one's life pretty well in a lot of ways!