Settlement Visa Granted - What Should I Take To Uk?

Hi.

My wife was granted her settlement visa last month (yippee!) and we will be travelling to the UK in a few weeks time. I was just wondering what we should take with us? We have her passport, a translation of her birth certificate and her TB test certificate. The thing is, my wife has read on other websites that she needs to provide the actual TB original X-ray itself, as well as the certificate. I can't even remember ever seeing this. Can someone confirm if this is the case, or whether just the certificate will suffice?

Also, regarding her I.L.R, are there any documents we will need to obtain from here, that will be required. My wife has been informed that she needs to get a Thai Police clearance CRB check done from here, before we leave, as it will be needed when we apply for the ILR in 2 years time - can someone confirm whether this is true?

Also, one more thing, I have read that it is important to get her name on any bills, etc, and get her an N.I. number. Is she able to open her own bank account?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Your wife should take her TB certificate with her in her hand luggage but will only have to take her xray (also in her hand luggage) if that xray was 'abnormal' and she had to attend the IOM for sputum tests before being granted the certificate.

No, she doesn't need a CRB check from Thailand.

When your wife applies for ILR in two years time she will need to produce official letters/documentation and/or utility bills addressed to her at your address so getting bills, N.I. number, bank accounts, etc in her/joint names as soon as possible will cover that.

As well as her birth certificate you should also take your marriage certificate. Both may be needed in the UK, especially if her passport is still in her maiden name.

As translations are a lot cheaper to do in Thailand than the UK, I suggest that you get them done there.

Opening a bank account may be difficult, depending on the bank, as she has no credit history in the UK. Many couples, us included, start with a joint account first.

Section 10 of Form SET(M) gives the mandatory documents and lists examples of the type of other documents currently required when applying for ILR. As already advised, putting utility bills etc. in joint names will help here, as will a joint bank account.

You may find the following helpful:-

Knowledge of language and life in the UK

Applying for a National Insurance number

Registering with a Doctor; your GP practice should take her, so ask them first. Don't forget the dentist, too.