Uk Tourist Visa Re-Entry Allowed?

Hi, my thai gf was granted a uk 6mth tourist visa, she came to stay for 2 months and then returned to bangkok, can she come back for the remaining 4 months now without re-applying for a new visa.?<div><br></div><div>Or does the visa start on the date printed in her passport and finish 6 months later?</div><div><br></div><div>visa start 1st may - returned to bangkok 3rd july</div><div><br></div><div>return uk 23 july - return bangkok 28 october....</div><div><br></div><div>is this allowed on 1 6mth uk tourist visa ????</div>

Yes the six month clock starts from the issue date of the visa, she cannot remain in the UK six months after the visa was issued.

ok, thanks, so she cant come for 2 months, go home for 2 months, then return for 4 months, that would be seen as 8 months...

but it is fine for here to come for 2 months, go home for 2 months and return for 2 months again.

Yep she can do the later, she cannot remain in the UK after the visa expires which, in her case is six months after the issue date.

Without being alarmist you both need to bear in mind that she can still be denied entry into the UK even with a visa. It would be very rare for it to happen as the IO at the point of entry would need to convince a superior that the visa was fraudulently obtained or there had been a material change in circumstances. As I say very rare, but if your girlfriend had been in the UK for two months and was seeking to enter for a further two months they might consider that it warranted some further checking.

Yes the six month clock starts from the issue date of the visa, she cannot remain in the UK six months after the visa was issued.

ok, cheers oldgit... and the 6month in any year, does that run jan 1 - to dec 31... or 12 months from the date of last visa?

i.e she was granted a 6 mth visa may 2010, can she apply for her next 6mth visa from 1st jan 2011?

Most visit visas are multi entry, but sometimes not. Whether a visa is valid for multiple, single or dual entry will be indicated by the endorsement of either ‘MULT’ or ‘1’ or ‘2’ after ‘Number of Entries’ on the vignette.

The period in establishing "6 months out of 12" is usually counted back from the current application/ entry to the UK.

Most visit visas are multi entry, but sometimes not. Whether a visa is valid for multiple, single or dual entry will be indicated by the endorsement of either 'MULT' or '1' or '2' after 'Number of Entries' on the vignette.

The period in establishing "6 months out of 12" is usually counted back from the current application/ entry to the UK.

thanks, you helped lots with the original application and now, you are helping again... much appreciated.

her visa is a multi, so she could return again before her visa expires on 1 oct 2010, and she would then not be allowed to return until may 1 2011, 12 months from her last 6th visa.... am i right?

her visa is a multi, so she could return again before her visa expires on 1 oct 2010, and she would then not be allowed to return until may 1 2011, 12 months from her last 6th visa.... am i right?

No, the guidance is that she should only spend six months in the UK in a twelve month period, so as 7by7 says the clock would start when she entered the UK and she shouldn't spend more than six months in the12 months from that date.

She can apply for another visa as soon as the other one expires, or even before, but of course the longer she spends in the UK the more it makes the ECO suspect that she is trying to circumnavigate the system by attempting to use a tourist visa to spend much of her time there. Of course in every application for a tourist visa she will need to convince an ECO that she will leave the UK, and that might become increasing difficult the longer she spends away from home, does she have a job?

It would be time spent in the UK as a visitor during that period that would count. If it had been 6 months or more, she may have problems, if it had been less, particularly substantially less, than 6 months she shouldn't have a problem.

Remember that this is a convention, not a rule. It's purpose is basically to stop people using visit visas to actually live in the UK instead of obtaining the appropriate settlement visa. If the applicant has a valid reason for making so many visits then they would probably be allowed to do so; but I doubt that wanting to spend more time with her boyfriend would be considered such.

VAT1.5 Frequency and duration of visits

There is no restriction on the number of visits a person may make to the UK nor any requirement that a specified time must elapse between successive visits, The fact that a person has made a series of visits with only brief intervals between them would not, in absence of any other relevant factors, constitute sufficient grounds for refusal. It is reasonable, however, for the ECO to consider the stated purpose of the visit in the light of the length of time that has elapsed since previous visits. A visitor should not, for example, normally spend more that 6 out of any 12 months in the UK (but see guidance relating to visitors for private medical treatment).

(My emphasis)

No, the guidance is that she should only spend six months in the UK in a twelve month period, so as 7by7 says the clock would start when she entered the UK and she shouldn't spend more than six months in the12 months from that date.

She can apply for another visa as soon as the other one expires, or even before, but of course the longer she spends in the UK the more it makes the ECO suspect that she is trying to circumnavigate the system by attempting to use a tourist visa to spend much of her time there. Of course in every application for a tourist visa she will need to convince an ECO that she will leave the UK, and that might become increasing difficult the longer she spends away from home, does she have a job?

she is self employed, she has an internet cafe in bangkok, which a friend and family looks after when she is with me in the uk