Found My Favorite Indian Restaurant

Grawburg

Walked by Royal India on 5th floor Emporium for moths without stopping. Finally did yesterday - WOW. Highly recommend Chicken Tika Masala and garlic naan. Good portion of both chicken and naan. Not sure if there's already been an Indian thread, but would also love other recommendations.

Is there a good indian restaurant that isnt ridiculously over priced? I constantly see Indian restaurants with NO customers and when I check the menu, sure enough its priced way to high.

There are *heaps* of good,very reasonably priced Indian restaurants in Bangkok. You just don't find them in Sukhumvit, or Silom!

Go down to Pahurat, the small Indian district between Chinatown and the river and there are heaps of small, very inexpensive Indians restaurants.

My favourite is the Royal India, which is down an alley opposite the India Emporium.

Royal India in Emporium gets my vote as well ..... but their beer prices are high compared to places outside of Emporium.

Also - there's some excellent ones down Suk Soi 11

Rang Mahal (Rembrant Hotel) is often quoted as a good Indian restaurant .... but it's not to my taste.

Can't remember the name but Ramkhamhaeng Soi 24/1, right down at the bottom of the soi where it joins Ramkhamhaeng soi 24 and is almost opposite ABAC gates there is an Indian called Al-(something - can't remember).

Food is excellent and cheap - nothing on the menu over 200 baht and most dishes around 100-150. The place is a bit ramshackle, but price and quality of the food make up for this.

Bombay Blues, Soi Rambutri (Khaosan area)

Is a good one too, you can also chill and get laid out on the balcony upstairs.

Popular with young Thais strangley as I haven't met many Thais that will eat Indian food! "Men mak mak" ha ha!

I will vouch for this place as well, went with about 4-5 friends and ate until we couldn't fit in another piece of chicken tikka. Only paid around 300-400 baht each including Shisha.

Great staff, very nice place to relax and have a nice meal.

My favourite is the Royal India, which is down an alley opposite the India Emporium.

Is that the same as the Royal India mentioned by the OP at the Emporium (on Sukhumvit)?

Yes, it is one and the same. The Pahurat branch is the original, has been visited the best Indian restaurant in Thailand by Thailand Tatler magazine and prices are significantly lower. Despite being small, I prefer the atmosphere there to the Emporium branch. They also have a stand outside with (sickly) sweet Indian style desserts.

Is that the same as the Royal India mentioned by the OP at the Emporium (on Sukhumvit)?

Yes, it is one and the same. The Pahurat branch is the original, has been visited the best Indian restaurant in Thailand by Thailand Tatler magazine and prices are significantly lower. Despite being small, I prefer the atmosphere there to the Emporium branch. They also have a stand outside with (sickly) sweet Indian style desserts.

Thanks for that. Might be worth trying the Emporium one just for convenience' sake. Certainly not for non-existent atmosphere LOL.

indeed the best Indian restuarant in Bangkok. they opened one in KhaoSarn road as well (not sure if still there), but doesnt taste as good as the original branch. and ofcourse the Paragon brance is substantially more pricey.

well worth the trek out if you are keen on Indian food

some rate places like Mrs Balbir quite high, which is fair enough, but for me the Royal India is by far the best. On the other hand, the Sunday buffet at Rang Mahal is a great value for money. comes with live Indian music, and the food is quite good too.

Is there a good indian restaurant that isnt ridiculously over priced? I constantly see Indian restaurants with NO customers and when I check the menu, sure enough its priced way to high.

there is agreat veg indian by nana station (near soi 6) 1st floor right by the BTS escalators , the orice is right and theres enough variety considering its a veg restautanr.I´ve probably tried 20 in BKK and this one is the only one I go back to although I shall try some of these out on the web,Also in little India by china town there are a few great indians and very very cheap

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not only in Bangkok unfortunately, i see this trend everywhere else in SE Asia

apart Malaysia.

That as others have pointed out the only few good options are in Khao San Road

and Rambuttri says it all....

In Kuala Lumpur and Penang you can get excellent authentic indian food for as low as

2 euro including tea or water (8 ringghits) and i mean fresh grilled chicken

tandoori + garlic naan + sauces etc, not the usual malay fare or rice with

some slime on it.

I and my wife went to Royal India in Siam Paragon last weekend and I was extremely disappointed.

The seating area is shared between 3 different restaurants with the apparent common theme of being simply “Asian”.

Most dishes were in the region of Baht 175.- but the quantity and quality were definitely not worth that price.

A small Singh beer was Baht 100.- before Service and VAT.

I would much rather go to Rang Mahal in the Rembrandt Hotel - more expensive certainly, but far more value for money.

Patrick

The original Royal India on Chakkaphat Rd in Phahurat is inexpensive, and there are a dozens other Indian restaurants in that neighbourhood that are also cheap. There are also some cheaper places near the Uma Devi temple on Pan Rd, eg Annapurna.

Indian food in Thailand will never be as cheap as in Malaysia, where there is a much bigger Indian population, belonging to all income levels. Indians in Bangkok tend to be middle class (or wealthier).

Why you guys bother about Indian food in Thailand? If I were expat or tourist in Thailand, I would be more interested in thai food.

I don't eat Thai food but I do enjoy about two meals a week from Mrs Balbirs (Sukhumvit 11/1) when I'm in Bangkok. It's not cheap but it's very good. They deliver via ChefsXP so it's also convenient.

Why you guys bother about Indian food in Thailand? If I were expat or tourist in Thailand, I would be more interested in thai food.

So, in your home country you presumably only eat your own countries cuisine do you?

How boring....you should learn to experiment.

Kust because we live in Thailand why should we have to eat Thai food all the time?

Sorry but you sound mentally disabled, I've been here 7 years eating Thai food everyday, THINK I CAN BRANCH OUT A BIT AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT EH? lol Live in Thailand so MUST only eat Thai food? WAIT! You better go tell the Thais to stop eating at Sizzler! Stop eating all that Japanese food! Stop eating anything not Thai.

Sorry but you sound mentally disabled, I've been here 7 years eating Thai food everyday, THINK I CAN BRANCH OUT A BIT AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT EH? lol Live in Thailand so MUST only eat Thai food? WAIT! You better go tell the Thais to stop eating at Sizzler! Stop eating all that Japanese food! Stop eating anything not Thai.

maybe the issue boils down that asian food in general is a bit boring ?

1 - rice with something

2 - fried rice with something

3 - noodle soup

4 - fried noodles

5 - rice porridge (breakfast)

I don't eat Thai food but I do enjoy about two meals a week from Mrs Balbirs (Sukhumvit 11/1) when I'm in Bangkok. It's not cheap but it's very good. They deliver via ChefsXP so it's also convenient.

Mrs Balbirs is excellent, as good a ruby as ive had anywhere, the butter chicken tikka massala is absolutely delightful, they do cooking classes there which im tempted to do.

But this place in the Emporium is not good at all, i went there after the recommendation on here i was served some rubbery chicken in a non too tasty sauce, was similar to what you get on an aeroplane.