Motorcycle Lift

wildoates

Wildoats..... why would you want that? just get a ramp and ride your bike up onto the truck bed. My ramp made in Thailand cost 2,500b and will easily take heavy bikes like HD's etc.

My bike ain't light at about 240kg's and that is easy to load by myself. It will be even easier when i get the front wheel chock mounted in the truck bed.

To be fair though that Rampage IS a nice bit of kit:D

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Wow great thing such a lift, had been thinking to design something like that myself. But I think to make it all work you have to fit it on your car (so not just take-away to remove it). That's a big downside of it.

BTW I do not think you have to report it to the DLT, it basically is a piece of cargo in your car just like the bike.

I have also been thinking about a kind of lift that goes just horizontal up so you can just "drive" bike in your car. But all too much work.

So I think it is going to be a rampage and just drive my bike in my car. I have seen some for sale at DirtBike Shop in Bangkok (about 4.500thb) but only 25cm wide so you have to stand on the ground and then walk your bike into your car. Seems a bit difficult with a high car (4x4), a 128kg bike and a person of 1.68m.

Wow great thing such a lift, had been thinking to design something like that myself. But I think to make it all work you have to fit it on your car (so not just take-away to remove it). That's a big downside of it.

BTW I do not think you have to report it to the DLT, it basically is a piece of cargo in your car just like the bike.

I have also been thinking about a kind of lift that goes just horizontal up so you can just "drive" bike in your car. But all too much work.

So I think it is going to be a rampage and just drive my bike in my car. I have seen some for sale at DirtBike Shop in Bangkok (about 4.500thb) but only 25cm wide so you have to stand on the ground and then walk your bike into your car. Seems a bit difficult with a high car (4x4), a 128kg bike and a person of 1.68m.

25 cm wide does not work with 200kg Ninjas in a 4x4. I have tryed, even with my VTX 1800 at 390 kg, almost dropped, going up doable, but reversing down and nowhere to put foot is scary

better find a steep ramp or high pavement, and 3 people for 200 kg Ninja. one hold the rear, two lift the front, then one hold the front and two lift the rear. First bike easy, second bike should have 4 people cause lack of space/easy scratch on the other bike

That lift is a US product. You'll have some problems with customs, getting it into Thailand. Also getting it shipped to Thailand would be another. It's far from being a small package. Then finding a Thai to install it would be another. They wouldn't be able to read the English installation instructions.

Considering the costs and other problems, doesn't seem to be practical. It's far easier to get some Thais to help load the bike in the back of the pickup using a ramp.

After all I haven't seen many Gold Wings in Thailand. Yeah, I seen big choppers and sometimes I seen bikes loaded into bigger trucks using a jimmy lift.

25 cm wide does not work with 200kg Ninjas in a 4x4. I have tryed, even with my VTX 1800 at 390 kg, almost dropped, going up doable, but reversing down and nowhere to put foot is scary

better find a steep ramp or high pavement, and 3 people for 200 kg Ninja. one hold the rear, two lift the front, then one hold the front and two lift the rear. First bike easy, second bike should have 4 people cause lack of space/easy scratch on the other bike

My ramp is a lot wider than 25cm's. Not sure how much but i can reverse down easily and dab a foot when needed. Also i can ride up the ramp.It was made here in Nakhom Pathom. I know the guy still has 2 left. 1 standard and one a little longer for 4x4's 2,500b and 2,800b if any one is interested pm me. Allan

ps these are made from steel and are very strong.not like the ali ramps from dirtshop.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Wildoats..... why would you want that? just get a ramp and ride your bike up onto the truck bed. My ramp made in Thailand cost 2,500b and will easily take heavy bikes like HD's etc.

My bike ain't light at about 240kg's and that is easy to load by myself. It will be even easier when i get the front wheel chock mounted in the truck bed.

To be fair though that Rampage IS a nice bit of kit:D

Allan

thaicbr

Does your ramp fold up or some such and go in the back of your pickup for unloading at the other end ?

That's the part I'm having trouble visualising, if it does then it sounds perfect.

Maybe you could take a few photos next time you've got it out. I'm looking for a solution myself.

That lift is a US product. You'll have some problems with customs, getting it into Thailand. Also getting it shipped to Thailand would be another. It's far from being a small package. Then finding a Thai to install it would be another. They wouldn't be able to read the English installation instructions.

Considering the costs and other problems, doesn't seem to be practical. It's far easier to get some Thais to help load the bike in the back of the pickup using a ramp.

After all I haven't seen many Gold Wings in Thailand. Yeah, I seen big choppers and sometimes I seen bikes loaded into bigger trucks using a jimmy lift.

Very true, you would have to have it made here.....

Indeed would love to see pic's.

When you make it folding the weak point will be right there.

You can easly make them from steel, but they will be bloody heavy.

I used the alum. things that DirtShop is selling once and the work great and are very light ... but not wide.

So I thought I just buy a good alum. ladder put an alum. plate over it and I am done?

My bike is only 120kg and I weight only 75kg, so less as 200kg on 2 wheels.

Where did you hear you need license and insurance for trailers? Have you seen a trailer license plate?

The ones I pull around have neither, they were inspected at the motor vehicle office and have all the correct lights. Just don't get in any accidents with them attached. ;)

Where did you hear you need license and insurance for trailers? Have you seen a trailer license plate?

The ones I pull around have neither, they were inspected at the motor vehicle office and have all the correct lights. Just don't get in any accidents with them attached. ;)

In Thailand. Trailers do indeed need to have a valid registration to be fully legal.Not sure about insurance and tax but i would imagine that you would need. I believe that because there are no laws for domestic trailers they use the commercial rules.

In Thailand. Trailers do indeed need to have a valid registration to be fully legal.Not sure about insurance and tax but i would imagine that you would need. I believe that because there are no laws for domestic trailers they use the commercial rules.

Yes you can register in your green book but the insurance companies won't insure it (well the couple I asked wouldn't). Haven't touched on the business, commercial aspect yet. There are shops around that will build them for pretty much the cost of the metal.

P3250003.JPG

This is interesting. Fish are you saying that the trailer is on your truck green book OR on its own green book. I have been led to believe that it has to have its own book and plate.

Thanks Allan

This is interesting. Fish are you saying that the trailer is on your truck green book OR on its own green book. I have been led to believe that it has to have its own book and plate.

Thanks Allan

Unfortunately trailer must have its own book, plate, insurance and tax to be road legal. Unlike in Europe where vehicles insurance covers trailer liability, and no tax.

Some imported trailers come with proper suspension and brakes, but most I have seen have been crap. So I ended up with a pickup, again. anyway pickup with bikes is faster and safer than car/suv with trailer

Edited by katabeachbum

Ok guys i will take some pictures tonight. The guy i got it from tells me he designed it for Harley Road kings (and i believe they are heavy buggers)

Allan, I am waiting for you pics.:) Going on a roadtrip next week with pickup and one or two Ninja 650, and bored of lifting them up and down:whistling:

I've been thinking about adding a hitch to my 4-door short bed Vigo 4x4 and buying a trailer from this company:

http://upbeat.co.th

They had a booth at the Bangkok Motorcycle Show and their trailers look solid and aren't very expensive. I believe they export their trailers abroad so quality should be decent.

This double trailer looks pretty cool:

beatbikedouble1.jpg

beatbikedouble3.jpg

beatbikedouble2.jpg

My MAIN concern is whether these trailers are allowed on the tollways in Bangkok? I asked Upbeat at their booth and of course they said YES, no problem, but I'm still not convinced. Anyone know FOR SURE what the rules are about trailers on the Bangkok tollways?

Cheers!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Anyone know FOR SURE what the rules are about trailers on the Bangkok tollways?

Cheers!

Tony

A legal trailers (plated,book, tax, insurance) are legal on any public road including tollways. Subway use them all over LOS, cooler in pickup, cooler on trailer. Not sure all bib knows it though, so might want to print the proper code to show themB)

But why bother with a trailer when you have a 4 door Vigo? 2 Ninja 650 no problem. 2 VTX 1800 wouldnt work, to heavy on rearwheel and to long to not be diagonal

Edit. Had a look and the trailers look great. Suspension and brakes from German ALKO I guess

Edited by katabeachbum

Trailers must be covered when entering the expressway or motorway. Tootling around Bangkok mean streets is fine uncovered. But as you as you pull up at the tollway, the cops will pounce and either issue you a fine or force you to reverse out.

Already have a two bike trailer. Never use it.

Would use only a truck or a van.

If using the truck. The bike still got to be covered if on the expressway or motorway.

BBBKK. Can you recall the price fot trailer? Seems I've got the same truck as you but I've got a carryboy on the back of mine. Guessing the trailer would be ok to transport a large atv?

Just checked the link and atv version is available.

I've been thinking about adding a hitch to my 4-door short bed Vigo 4x4 and buying a trailer from this company:

http://upbeat.co.th

They had a booth at the Bangkok Motorcycle Show and their trailers look solid and aren't very expensive. I believe they export their trailers abroad so quality should be decent.

Looks great!

Oh - found the contact info http://upbeat.co.th/contactus.htm

I am in the market for one of these if not too expensive. Would be a nice way to travel south in the summertime...

Edited by nikster

Anyone know FOR SURE what the rules are about trailers on the Bangkok tollways?

Cheers!

Tony

A legal trailers (plated,book, tax, insurance) are legal on any public road including tollways. Subway use them all over LOS, cooler in pickup, cooler on trailer. Not sure all bib knows it though, so might want to print the proper code to show themB)

But why bother with a trailer when you have a 4 door Vigo? 2 Ninja 650 no problem. 2 VTX 1800 wouldnt work, to heavy on rearwheel and to long to not be diagonal

Edit. Had a look and the trailers look great. Suspension and brakes from German ALKO I guess

Cheers Kata,

Well, to be honest I haven't tried to see if the Ninja 650R will fit in the back of my Vigo as right now I have a topper on that is quite handy during the rainy season for keeping things dry so I'm not so keen to remove it... You might recognize this spot- it's in the parking lot of the Kata Sun! B)

IMG_0765Sm.jpg

I haven't measured the bed of the Vigo but just eyeballing it I didn't think I'd be able to close the rear door with the 650R in the back and I hear the BIB will get you for that too... :rolleyes:

Then again- I see the usual Bangkok racers driving down the motorway to BIRA with uncovered bikes in the back of their pickups and they all seem to get pulled over at the toll booth by the coppers so I guess they just budget the fine / bribe into the cost of the drive. ;)

Oh, finally, the 4x4 Vigo is pretty tall making the loading and unloading of bikes a bit tricky...

Anyway- I've emailed UPBEAT and am awaiting a quote on their 2 bike trailer and a hitch for the truck.

Will keep you posted!

Ride On!

Tony

BBBKK. Can you recall the price fot trailer? Seems I've got the same truck as you but I've got a carryboy on the back of mine. Guessing the trailer would be ok to transport a large atv?

Just checked the link and atv version is available.

Sorry I really can't remember but I think the 2 bike trailer was something like 30k Baht and the single is closer to 20k. Please don't quote me on that though! I've emailed upbeat requesting a quote for the 2 bike trailer and will let you know if/when I hear back. Cheers!

Trailers must be covered when entering the expressway or motorway. Tootling around Bangkok mean streets is fine uncovered. But as you as you pull up at the tollway, the cops will pounce and either issue you a fine or force you to reverse out.

Already have a two bike trailer. Never use it.

Would use only a truck or a van.

If using the truck. The bike still got to be covered if on the expressway or motorway.

also the Bib may say that you need the side bars as well. if the tail gate is open then you need a red flag on the back with the reg number written on it. This is for trucks.

That is correct. Thaicbr.

Friend used to bring his bike on a trailer. Kept getting stopped. Did everything to please the cops. Cover the bikes. Trailer plates, trailer books. Stopped for spot checks and so forth. So he gave up and started putting the bike in the back. Same thing, got to do this, do that. Best thing is to completely cover the bike. So no one can tell what you got there. But still expect to get stopped.

In the end we both chipped in together to get a Thai dude with a proper covered truck completely hiding the bikes to deliver them for us.

Peace of mind ever since. Did that for 2 years straight.

One of the racers would bring his bike in a box trailer. That could be a solution.

4 door pickup not a problem for two superbikes. Back wheel will be on the tailgate. Just need cash for the cops.