Beginner Bike In Bkk

kaphi

Thanks Garry.

Spoke to the missus last night she's still telling me August :D

Actually they are open every day Mon-Fri for the normal training sessions. When I first called they also quoted August as the next official training date. They are maybe referring to the theory part, which might be mandatory if you're looking to get your motorcycle license (or a letter that basically grants you one after finish the course). However, I believe if you have a license already and tell them (or maybe tell them that you're not interested in anything but getting some practice and already had a license in your home country), you might be able to jump in right away.

The plot thickens. So thaicbr's better half wasn't telling pork pies after all. :) Could it be that the July dates have already been booked up and the next openings are in August.

kaphi, for my son what would you suggest? He does not have a license yet. He has only ever ridden autos but I want him to learn on a standard manual.

kaphi, for my son what would you suggest? He does not have a license yet. He has only ever ridden autos but I want him to learn on a standard manual.

I'm the wrong person to ask about that since I'm just learning this myself.

The course seems to be attended by all ages. Yesterday there were a bunch of 16 year old Thai kids as well as some house wives - wouldn't be surprised if that's the usual crowd. I did pretty much the same - used to driving cars (manual) and then started learning on a standard manual bike. Only sat on a scooter once before.

• 2 weeks later...

I started manual bikes with a CB150R and it was a good learning machine! Meanwhile I have more than 10x CC, but sometime I miss the little CBR. I would stay away from a Phantom. It is a very under-motorized, heavy motorcycle and the seating position is quite strange, if you have normal farang sized legs. Just try both.

A Tiger Boxer might have a bad resell value. The ninja 250 might be a good choice, but maybe a bit too pricey (up to you).

Good luck.

Well, as for resale value i sold my Tiger Boxer 250 with quite a few extras for 60000 thb being 1 years old & 10k on the clock. There are other Boxers for sale in the same range . This Boxer 200 is a real good deal( not my bike nor affiliated with the seller): http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=197

The Cbr 150 sure is also a valid option, if you don't mind that it is no longer being built.

While the Ninja 250 is a nice Bike and for beginner as well...but i am not so sure if it is ideal for a beginner in BKK- if the price is a bit high maybe go for a second hand ninja 250.

A bit off topic( being not beginner bike)....there is a 2009 ER6N for 169000 thb includes GPS!!! What a deal -here the Ad: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/kawasaki-er6n-61144.html

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Would you be riding mostly in heavy traffic, weaving between cars? In that case, please consider a Honda step through bike like their 110 cc EFI or 125 models. I heard of a new fully automatic as well.

How tall are you? The CBR 150 is loved by many but might be ergonomically challenging. The Tiger Boxer 250 RS might be a good compromise of ergonomics. I rode one a few days ago and apart from its wide turning radius it was fine, if you don't mind the vibrations.

The Phantom - I love it but would hate to drive it in the thick of BKK traffic on a daily basis.

Personally, I'm no fan of scooters, but if you like them, try the Honda Scoopy-i with larger tires. I prefer the ride to the Fino's, but that's my opinion only, nothing based on facts.

At certain times, I confess preferring the Baht Taxi (Song Taew) or the bus :rolleyes::lol:

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

If you go to AP Honda's website, the schedules for the riding courses are only applicable to Huamark. The schedules for the courses at Samrong are different and you will need to call to check. For Samrong, the two day license courses in September will be held on 9-10 and 24-25. Of course there is no guarantee that you will get a license at the end of the course, as you still need to pass Honda's test.

To give you a bit more information, they do not take bookings as such. They said that they can take up to 80 people for training and it is never full. You just need to fax your documents through 3 or 4 days in advance. For Thais this means a copy of your ID card and house registration. For foreigners, a copy of your passport and work permit. I did not ask what would be required in the absence of a work permit as I have one.

I assume that if you are just going for the course but are not interested in getting a license at the end of it, just a copy of passport or ID card, as the case may be, would be sufficient. The course is Baht 500, unless you have just bought a new Honda and have documents to prove it, in which case the course is free.

For the big bike course, they require that you have sufficient experience in riding a bike with a manual clutch, preferably a bigger bike. Didn't ask about the cost.

I will be taking my son as he is getting a new bike and I haven't ridden one for more that 20 years. I want him to really understand how to use the road and ride safely. Too many parents buy their kids bikes and let them loose without any formal instruction and the kids end up in accidents through their own incompetence/idiocy.

OP, you have to take into consideration the kind of bike you want to end up with, most don't ride both big cruiser and sport bike. My suggestion is go for the one that more closely resembles what you want to "graduate" to. If you want to end up on a Harley, get the Phantom. If you want a big sport bike, go for the Tiger or Kawa or whatever.

I wanted to end up on a fully custom chopper, so my very first bike ever was 4 months ago here in BKK, it was a custom Phantom. It had a longer wheel base than a normal Phantom, but same width. I loved it. I never found myself caught behind when others weaving through cars. Not being able to maneuver around cars was never a problem for me. 1 month later I bought a custom Honda Steed. This is much longer in wheel base, and much wider. I do now get caught not being able to move forward through city traffic. But, as stated, it is sometimes about the adventure. I couldn't tell you how many times I have sat in traffic and noticed something for the first time that I have passed probably 100 times. I don't mind, but it usually only happens once in an hour or so of constant driving that I am stuck. Still better than sitting in my cage in traffic!

So go with what you like. Phantoms are out of production, but they are very popular, and you will always find a mechanic with experience working on one. Same with the other sport bikes. Stick with a popular bike, if you are worried about mechanics.

Be safe, have fun, happy motoring. Below are my black Honda Steed and orange Honda Phantom.

post-65746-021048200 1282821071_thumb.jppost-65746-066829700 1282821084_thumb.jp

I think the OP is probably awaiting for his already aquired Bike which currently ships from south - central Thailand. He got a "young" Tiger Boxer 200 R which seems in great shape ( also low in Km's plus some nice extras) and was sold for a decent price too. I would like to congratulate Kahpil for his Boxer 200 R and wishing him lot of enjoyable rides on it.

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I would advise you to buy a used Sonic. More then likely you will drop the bike so buy a used bike, but make sure you have a good mechanic go over it.

Yes, getting a used bike ,but still in good condition, is right advise ...which is what the OP did ...except it isn't a sonic but a boxer 200 and is still under warranty plus he got a close access to Tiger Motors which can be useful in case he drop his bike...

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I will be going on the license course on 9 and 10 September 2010 at Samrong. Or rather I will be going with my son. I have spoken to three different people there and received different replies. The person I spoke to a few weeks ago said I need to fax id and house registration/passport and work permit through a few days in advance but when calling to confirm today I was told I don't need to. The person I spoke to today just told me to bring all documents with me on the day. At first he said my son and I had to take the course at Huamark, but when I told him that the girl I spoke to before said it was okay at Samrong he relented.

Anyway, just in case, and to cover all bases, I will fax our docs through tomorrow.

His major concern was whether I expected to get a license at the end of the course, to which I responded that it would all depend on whether I passed the course or not. He seemed greatly releived by my answer. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Report on the 2 day driving license course at Samrong (Samutprakarn) Honda Safety Driving Center (sic). Sorry it is so long but hope at least some of you find it of interest.

My son and I attended the license course on 9 and 10 September. This particular course was intended for about 22 business college students, but they kindly allowed us and four others to join the course. The course was supposed to start at 8:30 a.m. but didn't really get going until 9:30 as the students were typically late. The first day was all classroom (theory) work. In the morning we started the day with certain physical tests, namely, colour blindness test, peripheral vision test, depth perception test and reaction speed test. All very basic but required by the Department of Transport. Following on from the physical tests, we were taught about rider safety, checking the bike, environment, etc. and just before lunch we had a 20 question multiple choice test. The passing grade was set at 15 (I think) and I got 17 out of 20, beating my son by one.

We had a one hour break for lunch. The afternoon session was much more intensive and focused on traffic laws. The afternoon session was followed by a 50 question multiple choice test. The passing grade was 40 out of 50 and amazingly I scored 46, the second highest score. :lol: I say amazing because all the tests were in Thai language and I thought I was sure to misunderstand some questions. Obviously I didn't so I am quite proud of myself. They did mention that at Hua Mark Center tests in English may be available, but they weren't sure. These theory tests are for Honda and not passed on to the Department of Transport, however, if you do not pass, Honda will not certify you as having passed their course. With Honda's certification, you can simply get the license from the DOT without going through any further testing formalities.

The day I was dreading was the second day. I had not ridden a motorcycle in the past 28 years, with the exception of trying out my son's new automatic job once the previous week so the following day was to be only my second outing in 28 years. I hadn't even tried to warm up, so to speak, prior to this course. The bikes available were 8 automatics (various models), umpteen semi-automatics (various model Waves), a good number of CBRs. On that day we only used autos and Waves. Because my son and I and one college girl were considered absolute beginners, :D we were separated from the others for about 15 minutes just to get us used to breaking properly. All the others rode motorcycles almost daily so were "unlicensed veterans" :whistling: . We went through emergency stops, slalom, hill starting, stop-start-stop-start drills, practiced riding over a ridged surface, and also 10 seconds on a very slightly elevated 30 cm wide track. I managed okay apart from the elevated track which defeated me. I kept moving my body instead of the steering only and ended up coming off the track everytime. :crying: This one was done just before lunch and as people completed this stage they were told to ride back to the center and go for lunch. There were three of us stuck on this for ages. In the end the instructors told us to relax and try again after lunch. They could see we were stressed out and sweating like pigs. My son thought it was so funny as he had no trouble with this test.

After lunch we did some courses following traffic signs on the track and were subsequently tested, starting from correct mounting, starting, signalling, stopping, etc. I passed first time. Hurray. Others took two or three attempts. Actually everybody passed, but they only provided three chances. If you did not do it in those three, you were failed. After that session it was back inside to take the DOT test online. They have 15 computers linked to the DOT and you have to answer 20 questions and the pass mark is 15. My son took the test but I was unable to. The system was set up using ID card numbers, however, I was using my passport. They called the DOT to see what could be done and were told that for a foreigner they would have to install additional software that would allow for reggistering using passport numbers. Anyway, the DOT said they would send someone round on Monday or Tuesday to install the additional software and I should be able to take the test on Saturday. The Honda people were really kind and helpful with this. In fact they refuse to take my money until I take the DOT test. I will call them later this week to check whether the software has been installed and, if so, take the test on Saturday.

After all the tests, certificates were handed out, which are to be submitted to the DOT when applying for a license. My son should have got his by now as he said he was going to go this morning. For me I will have to wait until after I take the DOT test (hopefully passing the test). I will then report whether the certification also works for foreigners, but I do not see any reason why it shouldn't.

The instructors were all very good and helpful and obviously really knew their stuff. I enjoyed myself, even in the classroom and coming off the track. However, Samrong Center is not equipped for English speakers. That is, if you are not reasonably fluent in Thai, i.e. you cannot read the language and understand Thai as spoken by Thais to Thais, then you would be bettter off going to Huamark (Sukapiban 3) where they are better equipped for the foreign community. Also, that center is twice the size of the Samrong center, or at least my instructors said it was.

The course I was on was strictly to get a license and costs Baht 500. However, they have another one day course which focuses much more on actual riding skills. I believe it is the basic course. If I get my license and improve my skills and confidence on the bike, I would be very interested in taking this course. Someone mentioned it earlier on this thread, and it really does seem good value for money at only Baht 200.

I have no illusions. Even if I get my license, I will still be a rank beginner and will need many more months in the small sois before I even dare venture out on to b-roads. :D

PS. One of the instructors was using a CBR and throwing it around with so much grace and skill it was as if it was part of him.

On Saturday I went back to Honda in Samrong and took the online test. Someone from the DOT had been round and installed the missing software module. I passed, getting 19 out of 20. I had the option of taking the test in English, but as I had done all the other tests in Thai, I decided to stay with Thai. This morning, with papers in hand from Honda I went to the DOT located opposite Sukhumvit 62. I got my queue number and after a three minute wait was called to one of the desks where they issue licenses. Another wait of about 3 minutes while I was processed and I walked out with my license. Couldn't have been simpler. So I can confirm that the license course of Honda serves both locals and foreigners alike.