Beginner Bike In Bkk

kaphi

I am currently looking to get started with motorcycles. I've sat on a scooter a few times and did a one week tour through Vietnam on a Minsk. That's about the extend of my expertise and practice.

I'm mostly looking to get a bike and some practice and routine and thus ruled out automatics and semi-automatics. I won't be riding it to work, but do plan on using it frequently in BKK. In order to keep maintenance headaches low and support easy, I'd like to go with something really common. Two bikes that seem to fulfill this are the CBR150 and the Phantom. I know, two different styles of bikes, with its own pros and cons. My primary concern is how suitable are they for a beginner in Bangkok? Are there any other bikes you would recommend?

Are there any motorcycle safety (MSF-style) courses in Bangkok? What's a good way to learn how to ride in the city (I don't consider a week on an ancient bike in deserted country roads as 'learned')?

You could try contacting these guys http://thaisafedriver.com/motorcycle.aspx and asking them for suggestions on how to get practical training. Other than that Honda has their own rider training programs. http://www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/riding_center.asp

Other than that rider training isn't very big in Thailand, unlike some Western countries which require supervised training hours with a certified instructor or an experience rider. All you have to do to get your motorcycle license is take a theory test and a practical test which is conducted on closed roads around the licensing department.

The Phantom and the CBR150 are both beginner friendly bikes. Both can be bought new or second hand and spare parts are readily available. The other choices are automatic or semi-automatic scooters or underbone style bikes.

Edited by Zzinged

Although both bike a good bikes, I think both bikes are for a bit different reason difficult to drive in the traffic in Bangkok (or in any other busy city).

A motard model bike would do much better (like Kawasaki D-Tracker 125 or 250) or a Tiger Boxer might even be better in the traffic.

Or otherwise something like a Honda Sonic 125.

Although both bike a good bikes, I think both bikes are for a bit different reason difficult to drive in the traffic in Bangkok (or in any other busy city).

A motard model bike would do much better (like Kawasaki D-Tracker 125 or 250) or a Tiger Boxer might even be better in the traffic.

Or otherwise something like a Honda Sonic 125.<br />

I think I would have to agree. For a beginner, the Phantom would be very difficult to handle in slow traffic because of it's size (width, weight, and extended wheel base). To move about in congested traffic, you want something with is narrow, lightweight, and with a short wheel base.

The Honda Sonic 100 or 125 would be my best recommendation.

I don't know what your objection to a semi-automatic is. They don't require a lot more service and would be more suitable in traffic and for a beginner.

Yes definitely stay away from automatics. They do require a lot more maintenance and use a lot more gasoline. I also noticed that with the rear brake on the handlebar on the automatics, people tend to have a lot more accidents because they use the front or rear brake only. Also the wheels are much smaller in diameter, so potholes or obstacles on the road tend to be more of a problem.

Hi Kaphi,

I have taken the Basic Course (2x). I know that the Basic course fee & License course fees are still the same, however the Big Bike course may have gone up to $3,000 per the last email I have from them. I questioned the Big Bike fee as the Brochures from Honda that were provided at the Motorcycle Show indicate 2,000 BHT. Per the email from a rep at the Honda course, I was advised as such "New price start : May with a company's affair Japanese Admin Terming (Start; May-Finish; Nest year April)":unsure: . I have no idea what the prior in quotes means...

B)A little bit of why i personally took the courses. I had never ridden prior to moving to Thailand, once i moved here I borrowed a bike to get around for a few days. Followed , by going to Dept of Land and getting my license. Then bought my own (moped "Honda Click"). Suited me just fine for soi running, which is pretty much what you do in downtown bangok. essentially taught myself to ride by reading, and trying. They have plenty of informational websites on line, and video tutorials. But eventually you must put all of that theory to practice B)

I took the courses, as I wanted a bigger bike and needed a safe place to get use to the significant weight difference. They offer mopeds, cbr 150 for the basic course. the big bike course uses a Honda 650 cc. Personally I have viewed the MSF course in the States, I have friends who own bikes in the States, and not one of the courses that I viewed in the North East was set up as well as the Honda course in Bangok. Usually in the states, depending on the state, they just use a open parking lot with cones. However, at the Honda course, it's an actuall track.

Honda does provide elbow, shoulder, knee guards, and gloves (I do not recall if they have helmets). However i brought my own gear

The basic course consisted of, 8 hourse of practical Theory on the bike, and putting it to use. Which usually started by about 5-10 mintues explaining what they wanted you to do, followed by about 40 minutes of actuall riding through the course using what you have just learned. followed by a 5-10 minute water break. (Can you say Hydrate)

The license course consists of (2) visits. My girlfriend took this course, which on the 1st visit was a few hours of theory,hands on riding and then license study; Followed up on the 2nd visit of license study, hands on riding test, license test. Which upon passing, Honda provided the documentation to recieve a license (This may only be for thais). We took the paperwork they provided her amd sat at the Dept of Land transport for literally 5 mins, just time to process her picture, and provie she with a license.

Here is a video snip that TTakata, also a forum member took during my second visit as the Hond Safety Course. You could also pm him if you have any questions, he's a good guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9678g4E9YN4

Basic Course (200Bht) :rolleyes:

License course (500 Bht) :D

Road Safety for Kids ( Not sure, may be free)

Big Bike Course (2,000 Bht)

I posted the following below a few months back, Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Please have a (Thai) friend contact the following Honda Safety driving scool for you. The basic course is 200 Baht, it lasts about 8 hrs, they have plenty of open space to practice. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. They are located in Ramkamhaeng, Bangkok. I have posted the information below.

If anything this will give you a chance to ride a bike in a very large open space, under supervision (without the worry of running into a Car).

Direct Link: www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/

or

.aphonda.co.th

ศูนย์ฝึกขับขี่ปลอดภัยฮอนด้า กรุงเทพฯ

1289 ถ.รามคำแหง แขวงหัวหมาก เขตบางกะปิ กรุงเทพฯ

Tel 02 7353999 , 02 7353458

Fax 02 7353933

รถยนต์ Tel 02 5402444 ต่อ 101 , 141

Sidenote: I am not in any way affiliated with Honda, Or Honda Safety School.

Kind Regards,

J

:)

Edited by Newguy70

Or otherwise something like a Honda Sonic 125.<br />

I think I would have to agree. For a beginner, the Phantom would be very difficult to handle in slow traffic because of it's size (width, weight, and extended wheel base). To move about in congested traffic, you want something with is narrow, lightweight, and with a short wheel base.

The Honda Sonic 100 or 125 would be my best recommendation.

I don't know what your objection to a semi-automatic is. They don't require a lot more service and would be more suitable in traffic and for a beginner.

Yes definitely stay away from automatics. They do require a lot more maintenance and use a lot more gasoline. I also noticed that with the rear brake on the handlebar on the automatics, people tend to have a lot more accidents because they use the front or rear brake only. Also the wheels are much smaller in diameter, so potholes or obstacles on the road tend to be more of a problem.

I ride a Honda Phantom every day and while is a good comfortable ride and cruiser I live out in the country so traffic is no problem for me.

However in BKK and other cities the Phantom can be an awkward beast to handle in slow traffic and many times I have been caught up as it was too wide to nip down the gap between cars held up by the lights whilst holding up bikes smaller than me who CAN get through.

hmmm...no need for a written test to get the license - looks like a good way to circumvent and expedite things to get a moto license.

The written test is not really a 'written' test as such but it is in fact a multiple choice computer test in Thaiglish (any one who has taken it will understand) and takes about 15minutes, the practical test then takes about 3 minutes. but like every thing in Thailand it takes 3-4 hours to actually get it all sorted.

If you have never ridden or it was a long, long time ago then i think the Honda course would be great.

Question for Newguy.... was the course in English?

FWIW Kawasaki also offers rider training courses about once a quarter. Sometimes at their Rama 9 HQ, sometimes at a local track like BRC or BIRA.

060610TrackDayGroupPic1SSR.jpg

Here are some pics from the most recent course at BIRA-

060610TrackDayClassSm.jpg

Only 1000 Baht which included lunch, transportation, instruction and little D-Tracker 125 bikes to practice on in the morning. Open track riding in the afternoon. Good fun!

060610TrackDaySSR.jpg

060610TrackDayGroupPicSSR.jpg

Rode the track on my 650R and also on a Kawasaki demo 250R-

Let the Good Times Roll!

Tony

I'm going to recommend going with the CBR. It's a much better lane splitter plus you won't out-grow it as fast as a Phantom. Another good recommendation above was the Sonic, but I still think that if you're planning on moving up to a bigger bike later than it may be good to get used to a sportier biking position that the CBR offers over the Sonic. The Ninja 250 is another good choice if you have the money; it should last you even longer than the CBR before upgrading (once again if that's the plan) plus there are no rumours of its demise like are swirling around the CBR......service for the Ninja on the other hand I'd leave to a dealership rather than any grease monkey being able to work on your CBR.

Hi there,

Beginner bikes you got a few choices. The Phantom maybe comfy but a bit wide (is no longer built,discontinued) . The CBR is more suitable than the Phantom could be good if you like the seating position ( also the cbr has been discontinued). Tiger Boxer 250 Rs ( 200 R or 150 Bulldog) the Boxers are more upright in seating position and pretty much allrounder bikes, most BKK Police is riding those Tiger Boxer (200 cc model) and do fine with it-plus the boxers do very well in longer trips if you ever wish to do that( the Boxers are available new and are in production). Kawasaki d-tracker is something that could be really great too, it has upright sitting position and is really easy to handle plus the suspension is great if you have some bumpy roads or portholes ( the d-trackers are available new and are in production). The Ninja 250 is also a interesting choice and if you planning to do some touring it could be also good ( the Ninja 250's are available new and are in production). There are also motard style bikes from Lifan & Zongshen available . But i have not enough info in giving advise on these bikes nor would i know where to buy them. Just to add one more the Sachs Madass 125 could also be interesting choice , it got a very special design is light and sure is small enough to got around town and narrow places .

hope you find the right bike for you,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

hmmm...no need for a written test to get the license - looks like a good way to circumvent and expedite things to get a moto license.

Question for Newguy.... was the course in English?

Hi ThaiCBR,

The course is provided by Thais, in Thai Language.

However, they have a female who can manage English (This is who you will be paired up with, Sorry I am unable to place her name at the momment), As I was paired up with her both times that I attended the Basic Course. She was very patient, and quite knowledgeable, and was with me the whole time. So when she was explaining how to do things with the bike, it all added up for me.

(Everyone has a learning curve, for some it may be quite larger than others, this is where I think a course like this can help. And at 200bht, really you can't go wrong.)

They do provide you with a Honda certificate up completion (If you can manage the course). I did see some who were unable to manage, and they were not provided a certificate.

Off topic: I watched her manhandle a 650 CC like nobodys bussiness.

J

:jap:

Edited by Newguy70

Automatics are easier to maintain in my opinion, I've owned both types of bikes and it's a lot easier to change a belt and variators in a scooter than break a chain and replace sprockets on a manual. Turn on scooter and go, but manuals require oiling the chain every now and then.

Whatever, the OP wants a manual and that's cool. For traffic a critical factor is width so you can split lanes. I'd get a Yamaha 135 cc underbone or CBR150, they're faster than most traffic in BKK and nimble to give you confidence. The Ninja250 and DTracker250X are much faster, expensive, and need narrower bars to be effective. I'm not sure if you want to jump into a 250 with heavy traffic and being new to biking. I've ridden all these bikes and they're all great for BKK except they all lack storage space. The underbones will look the least goofy with a topbin if you need storage. Otherwise a backpack, but they get hot.

Definitely do the Honda small bike course so you can try the sonic125 and cbr150. The Sonic is comfy, the CBR is aggressive. After a day of riding you'll know what style of bike is for you.

Thanks everyone, that's some great advice in this thread.

I'll definitely take the Honda course - maybe even the big bike one in addition to get a better feeling for things.

It seems a Phantom might be a little challenging for first time riders in Bangkok. One concern I have though with the CBR150 is storage. If I want to have a little bit of storage for a weekend trip - is there an option for the CBR150? I feel a little silly asking this - but can you have something installed for saddlebags or a topbin? I guess a backpack would be sufficient, but not exactly comfortable. Or should I just go with a Tiger 200cc in case I want something small with some storage?

I'll definitely take the Honda course - maybe even the big bike one in addition to get a better feeling for things.

It seems a Phantom might be a little challenging for first time riders in Bangkok. One concern I have though with the CBR150 is storage. If I want to have a little bit of storage for a weekend trip - is there an option for the CBR150? I feel a little silly asking this - but can you have something installed for saddlebags or a topbin? I guess a backpack would be sufficient, but not exactly comfortable. Or should I just go with a Tiger 200cc in case I want something small with some storage?

Hi , if you wish to go for a Boxer 200R there is a very sweet deal right here: http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=197

Low km, oilcooler added, rear disc added and also the Topbox ...it only has 2300km and asking price is 43000 THB.

hope that helps,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I'm a bit confused about the OP. First he/she is talking about a bike for driving around in Bangkok. Then talks about using the bike for a weekend trips. A bike you use for the city is not the same kind of bike for the road. A bike that is comfortable on the road is unwieldy in the city. A bike that is nimble in the city is very uncomfortable and tiring on the road. You need to make up your mind what the purpose of the bike is. Where you plan to due the bulk of your driving and under what circumstances. How many people on-board?

I would never take a good big city bike (Sonic, Tiger, etc) on a trip more than 1 hour away. Nor would I ride my Phantom (which is joy to ride on the road) to Bangkok, nor would I take it on a long distant weekend trip (not a good enough cushion for the butt).

In the US, I had a Yamaha Venture Royal (1200cc and not made anymore) it was excellent for long distant touring. I would spend days and weeks traveling on it. But, I sure did hate it when I got stuck in traffic jams.

I recommend you rent and make trial runs before you buy. You'll soon catch on to what I mean.

I guess a CBR 150 would be a good general purpose bike for use in Thailand, but I would never take anything less than a four cylinder 750cc touring bike on a long distant trip over the weekend. The vibration factor alone is good reason.

I suspect your weekend trips will be spent mostly at a mini-mart/bar/restaurant at a roadside stop, so a backpack should be sufficient. You can always 'bungie' the backpack to the bike if it becomes too much. My hunch, is you'll need the backpack to rest against while stopped. (30 min on, 60 min off)

I'm a bit confused about the OP. First he/she is talking about a bike for driving around in Bangkok. Then talks about using the bike for a weekend trips. A bike you use for the city is not the same kind of bike for the road. A bike that is comfortable on the road is unwieldy in the city. A bike that is nimble in the city is very uncomfortable and tiring on the road. You need to make up your mind what the purpose of the bike is. Where you plan to due the bulk of your driving and under what circumstances. How many people on-board?

I would never take a good big city bike (Sonic, Tiger, etc) on a trip more than 1 hour away. Nor would I ride my Phantom (which is joy to ride on the road) to Bangkok, nor would I take it on a long distant weekend trip (not a good enough cushion for the butt).

In the US, I had a Yamaha Venture Royal (1200cc and not made anymore) it was excellent for long distant touring. I would spend days and weeks traveling on it. But, I sure did hate it when I got stuck in traffic jams.

I recommend you rent and make trial runs before you buy. You'll soon catch on to what I mean.

I guess a CBR 150 would be a good general purpose bike for use in Thailand, but I would never take anything less than a four cylinder 750cc touring bike on a long distant trip over the weekend. The vibration factor alone is good reason.

I suspect your weekend trips will be spent mostly at a mini-mart/bar/restaurant at a roadside stop, so a backpack should be sufficient. You can always 'bungie' the backpack to the bike if it becomes too much. My hunch, is you'll need the backpack to rest against while stopped. (30 min on, 60 min off)

You obviously have never driven these 'what you call' city bikes. They are more than able to go on long distance ,to enlighten you here is something to read: http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25

and another one:

http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29#p566

and i am certain there are others that did longer trips on the Cbr 150 too.

I do like the 750cc bikes myself but that doesn't mean a 250 Boxer or 150CBR is not suited to do medium/longer trips? I sure had a lot of fun and no aches after the rides you could read on the links above about.

Hope that helps,

Tiger/Sachs Club - mbox

What you had in the states has absolutely no meaning here. This is Thailand. I ride all over Issan on a CBR150. I did 350 kilometers last Sunday. It does just fine. I strap a dry bag to the back for my stuff. I have not found it to be uncomfortable yet. Is it slower than a big bike? Yes, but I would not travel much over 80-100 kph anyway so it is not really a problem. How about thinking about the adventure instead of trying to ruin other peoples. There are people riding all over Thailand on Clicks and Waves. So please don't say these bikes can't handle it.

T

What you had in the states has absolutely no meaning here. This is Thailand. I ride all over Issan on a CBR150. I did 350 kilometers last Sunday. It does just fine. I strap a dry bag to the back for my stuff. I have not found it to be uncomfortable yet. Is it slower than a big bike? Yes, but I would not travel much over 80-100 kph anyway so it is not really a problem. How about thinking about the adventure instead of trying to ruin other peoples. There are people riding all over Thailand on Clicks and Waves. So please don't say these bikes can't handle it.

T

"How about thinking about the adventure" Well said. When I finally get a bike I do not picture myself belting all over the place. I want to take it steady and enjoy the views, the adventure of going to new places and seeing new things at sedate pace. I could not see myself going over 110 or 120 km/h so really see no point in a big bike for me. Quite a few people I know travel many hundreds of kms on their little 100 - 125 cc bikes.

I agree that the cc size of a bike doesn't matter in Thailand for long trips, it's a luxury. In the US people drive 160 kph on long drives and don't look for bikers so a big bike is pretty useful in the US. In Thailand not many people go more than 100 kph and everyone is used to bikes everywhere. I almost think its safer to be a biker here than in the US since traffic is slower everywhere.

I rode my Nouvo Elegance 5 hours at 100 kmh once and my Dtracker250 from Chiang Mai to BKK at 130 kmh. Not much passed me on both rides. My friend here rode a Click from Surin to BKK with his girl on back. I also knew a guy that rode a 49cc Ruckus across America! So the engine size doesn't matter too much as long as you're not in a hurry and you know your place on the road.

I ride my Nouvo 90% of the time since it carries more and is easier to weave through traffic in BKK. My Dtracker is just a toy since it has no storage. I would lose the DTX before the Nouvo. The shorter wheelbase and narrow bars are that important for getting ahead of BKK traffic.

If I bought a new manual for BKK today, the Yamaha X1R would be at the top of my list along with a rack and a Shad topbin. Sadly the Raider and CBR150 are only used bikes now but they should still be reliable.

I ride my Nouvo 90% of the time since it carries more and is easier to weave through traffic in BKK. My Dtracker is just a toy since it has no storage. I would lose the DTX before the Nouvo. The shorter wheelbase and narrow bars are that important for getting ahead of BKK traffic.

How much to lose the DTX? :whistling:

Or otherwise something like a Honda Sonic 125.

Well, I like GettingGreenBook's suggestions. The Phantom is not good for bumper to bumper traffic. And you want a real motorcycle, not some scooter, right?

Depending on your size (this is about ergonomics like how much your knees are bent), a 400 cc four might also be okay. But then, I like the 125 Wave with kick start only, too. Would you want to make tours with the bike?

Live to ride, ride to live

Chris

Today I went to the Honda Driving Safety Training that was recommended in this thread.

It's near Ramkamhaeng 127. Started at 8.30. There were only people there from a single company (guess they had a safety event today), they all knew how to ride quite well already. All in Thai, no special translation assistance (though they did look a little bit more after me, being the only novice rider/foreigner).

The theory part wasn't terribly useful. I picked up 'Proficient Motorcycling' (available at Kinokunyia/Siam Paragon) which taught me a lot more than the lesson (which mostly focused on 'bad things happen if you don't wear a helmet or go too fast' (including pictures and videos). This was roughly 90 mins or so.

Practice was good. They have scooters as well as CBRs - good way to get a few test-rides in on that bike I guess. They provide helmet and long-sleeve tops + protectors (legs, knees, elbows, shoulders, arms) + gloves. They have a training ground (videos are available on youtube) that helps you learn the basics and they have quite a few trainers who can show you when you're doing something wrong (seating position, corners, breaking, etc.). Practice was around 3 hours. All in all a great deal for 200 THB.

The follow-up training time (a 24 hours coupon - use whenever you like) is probably something I'll take advantage of (1500 THB).

I think it's something you can do even if you don't speak any Thai at all (just follow the other guys and when you're doing something wrong they'll show/move you :) ). It's not exactly comprehensive, but it seems like a safe way to learn the ropes in Bangkok.

kaphi.I'm glad you enjoyed it. I asked my girlfriend to find out when the next one was she told me AUGUST. So i will be giving her a talking to tnite :angry:

Maybe she meant weekend courses though as its for her. so will have to check :D

I am also very seriously considering the course. I will force my son to take it and may go along with him. I haven't ridden a bike in 20 years or so and will be starting again soon so a referesher would not harm.

For Thaicbr, according to the Honda website, the next dates appear 21-22 July for the Basic course and 23-24 for the driving license course (which I presume is the same as the introduction course).