I Wont Be Held To Ransom.

PST

Okay, I'll start the ball rolling.

This means "I will not/never be your victim." This is not what you asked but it is a starting point till the big guns come in.

ไม่มีวันผมจะเป็นเหยื่อแก

Mai mee wan phom ja pen yeua gae

Or this one "I will not/never be anybody's victim."

ไม่มีวันผมจะเป็นเหยื่อของใครก็ได้

Mai mee wan phom ja pen yeua khorng khrai gor dai

Edited by Briggsy

Here is a sentence from Khom Chat Luk: (คมชัดลึกวันพฤหัสบดีที่ 17 มิถุนายน 2553

"รู้ว่าผู้เสียหายมีทรัพย์สินจึงอุ้มตัวมาเรียกค่าไถ่"

"[They] knew that the person who disappeared was a person of wealth; therefore they kidnapped him and demanded a ransom [for his return]."

Might this be relevant to the question?

A bit of a guess here but something along the lines of ผมไม่ได้จะเป็นค่าไถ่

I'm sure someone can improve on this. :D

ผมจะเป็นค่าไถ่ไม่ได้ may be better.

Edited by krading

Here's my guess

ผมไม่ยอมใครมาจับตัวไปเรียกค่าไถ่

But then this would only be in the literal sense of being held for ransom i think, whereas you are probably talking figuratively.

I like bhoydy's but would put a ให้ "hai" after the word ยอม "yom". ผมไม่ยอมให้ใครมาจับตัวไปเรียกค่าไถ่

It is very literal though. I think, to be able to give a suitable Thai version you would need to know the context in which "I won't be held to ransom" is used.

I like bhoydy's but would put a ให้ "hai" after the word ยอม "yom". ผมไม่ยอมให้ใครมาจับตัวไปเรียกค่าไถ่

It is very literal though. I think, to be able to give a suitable Thai version you would need to know the context in which "I won't be held to ransom" is used.

Thanks for that pick up, i noticed it this morning when i was reading my grammar book that it should include ให้, but i've heard it spoken without the ให้. Does that change the meaning? Also i wasn't sure if it was clear from the context who didn't want to be held to ransom.

I am not really sure if it changes the meaning, but my take is that ยอม means to give in while ยอมให้ means to allow. Thus, the meaning of what you originally wrote would be "I would not give in to anyone that took me for ransom", although I believe there should be a ที่ "ti" in that case. ผมไม่ยอมใครที่มาจับตัวไปเรียกค่าไถ่

The meaning of the version containing ให้ would be "I would not allow anyone to take me for ransom".

Does that make sense?

Yeah thanks GarryP that makes more sense, i would guess the version with ให้ is better for this case, for it's literal meaning anyway. To get a similar meaning in Thai a book of idioms is required, but i don't have one i'm afraid.

Bobbytin, thanks so much for your input. I'll keep it in mind for the next time i'm travelling to a new country. Maybe i'll just walk through immigration with both hands raised like that to make sure everyone understands me. :)

Surely the OP is saying he won't be threatened- อย่าขู่ yar khoo don't threaten, or if it's his wife threatening to withdraw certain services if he doesn't cough up for a pick-up ผมไม่กล้วเมีย pom mai klua mia- I'm not afraid of my wife.

I think the inference about being held to ransom or not being scared of someone is quite different. Again, it all comes down to context. If a person is held to a metaphorical ransom by another, it does not necessarily follow that the person held ransom is or is not scared of the other.

Not being afraid of the wife does not mean that she cannot hold you to ransom. :)

Edited by GarryP

The OP asks if there is a Thai equivalent of the saying,'I won't be held to ransom'. He doesn't say the words, 'I won't be held......

The saying in English means the conditions you set, the threats you make, blackmail of whatever kind, will not faze me, make me give in. I can stand up to you.

I don't know a Thai idiom to match that, but telling someone you're not afraid of their threats may help.

The word "blackmail" is well understood by Thais, so you could try อย่าคิดเลยว่าจะแบล็กเมล์ฉันได้ (do not think you'll be able to blackmail me) or ฉันไม่ยอมให้ใครมาแบล็คเมล์ฉันหรอก (I'm not about to let anyone blackmail me).

Depends, of course, on the situation. PST? Any details?

aanon

Edited by aanon

The word "blackmail" is well understood by Thais, so you could try อย่าคิดเลยว่าจะแบล็กเมล์ฉันได้ (do not think you'll be able to blackmail me) or ฉันไม่ยอมให้ใครมาแบล็คเมล์ฉันหรอก (I'm not about to let anyone blackmail me).

Depends, of course, on the situation. PST? Any details?

aanon

I like your usage of หรอก here aanon. I don't think these are situations where one would be using ครับ or the likes. หรอก rawk(L) fits the bill.