Bangkok Voted World'S Best City

monkfish

post-63625-072724100 1279033440_thumb.jp The Attached pictures show why I would NEVER vote for BKK as the 'best' city in the World!

The world's top cities offering the best quality of life

ViennaAustria

ZurichSwitzerland

GenevaSwitzerland

=4

=4

VancouverCanada

=4

=4

Of course, if the rankings were on the prettiest Uni students who would line the streets like cheerleaders and take any diseased old man to a room for a few thousand Bhat, then BKK WOULD top the charts.

Name another city, and Im sure some of the members here can come up with a few pics like that from Your city as well.

:P

Of course, if the rankings were on the prettiest Uni students who would line the streets like cheerleaders and take any diseased old man to a room for a few thousand Bhat, then BKK WOULD top the charts.

:clap2: Boo straightlaced prudes. Bravo Bangkok! :clap2:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Love Bangkok, so I wont argue with that list.

Gotta argue with those quality of life lists though, as these are utter rubbish. You really wonder if any of the reviewers/ judges have spent more than only a couple days in each of these cities. Probably not and then they would have spent most of their time in a nice inner city luxury hotel which really doesn't give you the insight to really judge quality of living (as opposed to holidaying). For instances, take Sydney on rank 11. I cannot understand this ranking, especially when comparing with the likes of Munich, Berlin, Vienna, London,...

Dont get me wrong, I really like Sydney, but your quality of life in comparison with aforementioned cities decreases drastically the further you live from the CBD (IF you are a city person like me and I've lived within 7kms from the CBD). Take any of the aforementioned cities - commuting into the city cheaply, safely, and quickly is a breeze due to great public transport systems. Living costs, especially rent, is heaps cheaper in Munich and Berlin. Yes, Sydney beaches are great. Love them. But I am not a surfer, work long hours, so can't really make use of them that often. They are a great optional though.

The only way I can make sense of their lists is if "value" is heavly factored in their rating, which would explain Bangkok at number 1 and Chiang Mai and Oaxaca being in the top 10. Paris not being in the top 10 is absolutely ridiculous given their other criteria (food, shopping, sights, etc).

Bangkok problems are, in my opinion, vastly exagerrated by a lot of people (aside from the recent protest of course), especially from a tourist perspective. You can go to MBK, Paragon, JJ Market, etc on the BTS and MRT so bad trafic is irrelevant. Pollution is not an issue as well if you're just visiting. And I don't find the city to be dirty at all. So objectively, it's a great city in term of value, shopping, sights and of course food.

an American tourist survey and therefore certainly understandable. BKK is an exiting place for tourists, who stay average 2 nights and see in that short amount of time the best it has to offer without any danger or harassment.

In the morning king's palace and temples, nice food next to the river, afternoon Klongs, evening Thai dancing show, next day Damnoen Saduak and then, pftsch, continue to Chiang Mai, or a beach destination.

But to live there is a completely other story. So the guy with the Mercure's survey is mixing apples with oranges.

Gotta argue with those quality of life lists though, as these are utter rubbish.

Yes, for example Vancouver is vastly overrated:

1) Rent is ridiculously expensive, so what quality of life will you enjoy when you spend most of your money on housing?

2) Trafic is an issue.

3) Petty crime is an issue as well. Also, downtown eastside... Enough said.

Auckland:

1) Public transportation a joke, the city is poorly planned.

2) Boring. :bah: No decent shopping. I would think that quality of life includes entertainment and such.

3) Jobs don't pay that well.

4) Basically it's a very dull city, and there's no reason for it to be in any ranking. I find Wellington to be a real gem though, even if it shares some issues with Auckland.

"Typical Klong not far from my house. "

right, if tourists would see that.... :angry:

so why do you say there?

Why do I stay there?

It is close to the construction project I am working on.

Do tourists go there?

dam_n right they do! close to the Oriental Hotel on the river!

Like someone else said on this thread, take away the girls and the booze and what have you got? :whistling:

Edited by Livinginexile

so what?

Although the construction is there, you can live somewhere else, Wireless, Sathorn Thai, ..., if you want to.

And average tourists, who answered that survey are not there, because no tour package will bring them there...

and do you think every corner of the cleanest city worldwide is without rats.

Edited by Birdman

so why do you say there?

Why do I stay there?

Do tourists go there?

Like someone else said on this thread, take away the girls and the booze and what have you got? :whistling:

Shopping, food and sights, which are, surprise, exactly the factors considered.

so why do you say there?

Why do I stay there?

Do tourists go there?

Exactly!

and here is a typical "sight" tourists will see!

Shopping? c'mon...best in the world? :lol:

Food? you got me there. I agree cheepest and best.

1 out of three aint bad :rolleyes:

post-32112-065869000 1279116555_thumb.jp

Edited by Livinginexile

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand but absolutely hate Bangkok.

The only reason i am here is because of work and when my contract is finished I and my family will be out of here like a shot!

If God was to give the world an enema, this is where he'd stick the tube.

How can any organization clain "Bangkok" is the number one tourist destination.

Must be The Nation backed :rolleyes:

Edited by Livinginexile

Since a large part of the population in the # 1 raked city choose to go to Pattaya every weekend then it follows that Pattaya should be #1.

Pattaya...best city in the world!!!!!

so why do you say there?

Why do I stay there?

Do tourists go there?

Exactly!

and here is a typical "sight" tourists will see!

Shopping? c'mon...best in the world? :lol:

Food? you got me there. I agree cheepest and best.

1 out of three aint bad :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you're being (insert mean word) on purpose, but the average tourist doesn't spend 3 months in Bangkok, it is usually at most a 1 week stay, then beach or Chiang Mai. There are enough interesting sights to keep the average tourist busy for a couple of days.

Also Bangkok is not the best shopping destination in the world, but it ranks high with several shopping malls and JJ market.

And, yeah, food.

So that's 3 out of 3.

Maybe the survey could be offered as proof to the age old adage... "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." I say this because when trying to find the best cities in the world to live-in, Thailand was missing from the list (I could have missed something, so if I am wrong... don't have a cow over it). I guess live-in equals a great place for job, great place for raising a family (maybe they are referring to a good public school system), real estate prices not in the stratosphere, minimal corruption and maybe weather(?) as Thailand is not one of the more friendly climate regions.

Perhaps Bangkok/Thailand is a just fantasy place for people to escape for a bit and then head back home to realities of real life.

TheWalkingMan

Althought i haven't spent lots of time in BKK,i still very much like the city from what ive seen..1st time there was only for a few days and spent around Khao-San Road,i couldn't wait to leave the place!

On my return to the city at the end of my holiday,i was stuck in BKK for 2 weeks due to ash cloud covering the UK,so i decided to explore more of the city,needless to say i fell in love with the place :-) At the end of the 2 weeks i was praying for more eruptions from the volcano in iceland.

In my opinion Bangkok does indeed rock.

It would help the discussion if people read and think before reacting. The survey was held before the riots. Cities were voted for from a travel perspective - not from a 'live in' perspective. And do realize that Travel + Leisure aims at a premium segment. I assume their readers tend to stay in pretty nice hotels, far away from the prostitute infested gutters that are so often referred to by members of this forum. Bangkok from a premium 5 star is somewhat different than Bangkok from the Nana hotel. We can argue if their readers get to see the 'real' Bangkok, however you may define that. That's a different discussion however.

The best of the replies so far. "Best" is a purely biased supposition. The Best for what? And for what special group? A case could be made for being the so called "best" in any specialized field in thousands of different cities..

It would help the discussion if people read and think before reacting. The survey was held before the riots. Cities were voted for from a travel perspective - not from a 'live in' perspective. And do realize that Travel + Leisure aims at a premium segment. I assume their readers tend to stay in pretty nice hotels, far away from the prostitute infested gutters that are so often referred to by members of this forum. Bangkok from a premium 5 star is somewhat different than Bangkok from the Nana hotel. We can argue if their readers get to see the 'real' Bangkok, however you may define that. That's a different discussion however.

Indeed. Well put.

so why do you say there?

Why do I stay there?

Do tourists go there?

Quite a lot actually. Great restaurants, great shopping, entertainment (not necessarily all of the red light variety - cinemas, clubs, live music venues), easy access to get out of town in any direction, safety, great streetlife, friendly people. Maybe a state of mind.