Transporting Bike

Billfo

I sent an honda wave from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani (almost same distance) via the Post office and it cost me 3000thb, the only thing they insist on is that you get as much of the gasoline out of tank first. It took around 4 days to get there.

Edited by thaimiller

If it is a small bike post it

If a big bike go see Richco Motorsports as he trucks bikes around the country every week using a commercial service

You can also send it by train.Don't know the cost, but think it is very cheap.Possibly need to travel on the same train.

Get the seller to put it on the train as cargo. My wifes done it 10 years back, and she said it was less then a 2nd class seat back then. The seller should help if he wants a sale you could easily negotiate they include delivery. Goodluck.

If you're travelling by bus yourself, you should be able to take it on the bus, local buses only. They often have a freight section down the back.

A friend took a spill at Sangklaburi a few months back and had to get his motorcycle and himself back to K'buri. I don't recall exactly, but I think it was about B300 for the 5 hour run.

I had a big bike (750 Honda) sent up here from Phuket in March via the Thai Post Office and it cost a whopping 2600 baht ;). Took about a week and arrived direct to my local PO. I had to bring a can of petrol as the tank had been drained prior to transporting it. Easy.

Cheers,

Pikey.

If a big bike go see Richco Motorsports as he trucks bikes around the country every week using a commercial service

Spoke to him about this very topic last week. He's not using a commercial service anymore, just using the post office.

You can also send it by train.Don't know the cost, but think it is very cheap.Possibly need to travel on the same train.

You're right, it's cheaper for the bike alone, but unfortunately you do have to buy a ticket for yourself and accompany the bike.

I sent an honda wave from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani (almost same distance) via the Post office and it cost me 3000thb, the only thing they insist on is that you get as much of the gasoline out of tank first. It took around 4 days to get there.

good lord, they got you pretty bad - it shouldv'e cost no more than 1500 baht for a CBR 150, less for a wave.

which post office did you go to, so others can avoid it.

theres also options such as insurance, express and wrapping, but still it should not have cost 3000 baht.

good lord, they got you pretty bad - it shouldv'e cost no more than 1500 baht for a CBR 150, less for a wave.

theres also options such as insurance, express and wrapping, but still it should not have cost 3000 baht.

I thought that was pretty reasonable with all the insurance etc, also with an helmet. What I should have also have said is that it was delivered from the post office about 100km from udon thani in a small mountain village to the wife's parents house, all in with the price.

Edited by thaimiller

I thought that was pretty reasonable with all the insurance etc, also with an helmet. What I should have also have said is that it was delivered from the post office about 100km from udon thani in a small mountain village to the wife's parents house, all in with the price.

that makes more sense now, but was the second leg organized by the post office or by the recipient?

I sent my CBR150 (must be a lot of these bikes being shipped around the country by post) to BKK on the train. I would normally have ridden it there but had to take some additional backage so wasn't worth the effort. The bike was loaded (without fuel) on the train and with my ticket was a cheap option. The bus company would not take it being "too big" They will take bikes such as the wave or dream but the CBR was apparently too tall to fit in the baggage compartment under the bus.

Thai Post is very good especially if you have to forward it to some village after the train station/ bus terminal. As stated above there are additional charges for this but one of my bikes arrived without a mark after being strapped down onto the cabin of the post truck. The driver put it up there so it would not get damaged by the other freight goods. Watching them pass it down by hand from the roof to the ground was worth the money just for the entertainment value.

CB

that makes more sense now, but was the second leg organized by the post office or by the recipient?

It was all sorted by the post office, I paid there and it arrived at the other end and I didn't have to drive it on the back of my pick up. That's why I thought it was reasonable.

Edited by thaimiller

I'd say Thai Post the way to go - In April shipped a Fino from Phuket-Sa Kaeo, 2000 baht (1900 freight, 100 optional bubble-wrapping).

Arrived within a week, they unwrapped while we watched, wheeled it outside and started it for me.

No scratches/damage, no complaints.