Looking For 1 Month Serviced Apartment And Advice

algreen5

Hi

I am looking to stay in BK for 1 month in January. I believe my best option would be to stay in a serviced apartment. My price range would be maximum 35,000 bht inc bills and preferably no deposit required. I have been told it's best to turn up and look in person as there is little available on the internet and online sites will advertise at higher costs. Though obviously I'd feel much better having something nice lined up before arriving. I would want to be in close distance to the gay areas and be allowed guests that doesn't require signing in/ extra costs. Ideally the staff wouldn't bother me at all as I'd find it awkward having to see the same people everyday (especially as I'd plan on having regular guests). Does anyone have any recomendations that fill this criteria?

I traveled around Thailand for 1 month when I was 18, but was not sexually active/interested at that time. I am 21, white and attractive (if I say so myself) so I will not be looking to pay directly for prostitution although depending on the guy it's not out of the question. Bearing that in mind, what are my best options for meeting Thai guys? I will be traveling alone so don't want to be easily exploitable in the gay areas nor be too sleazy- though I am open to casual/random sex too(!). Likewise, a regular partner would also be welcome, but not one that I have to pay for.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I've committed any posting howlers.

Edited by algreen5

At times when I've been bored with life in Pattaya I've considered taking a short-term rental in Bangkok for a month or two. I found two places that looked promising in terms of location, rates and appearance, but haven't yet tried them so you would be wise to take a look first.

If you do use either or find some other place that works out well, do report back to let us know.

One is apparently run by the Tarntawan Hotel people and is nearby: http://www.tarntawanapartments.com/rates.html .

home-top.jpg

The other is between Sathorn and Silom: http://www.silomconventgarden.com/monthly.html

pichome.jpg

Telephone Pub & Lounge

Bangkok's oldest gay pub, with lounge and terrace

http://www.telephonepub.com

OR

The Balcony

Friendly pub in Silom Soi 4, Bangkok

http://www.balconypub.com

And

http://www.dj-station.com/

And

Guys On Display (GOD)

Silom Soi 2/1 Bangkok

http://www.myspace.com/guysondisplay

You might wanna visit these places in the order I have put them and you'll be a happy boy from early evening till late night.

PS i love "for the good times" by Al green

Edited by lovebkk

Thanks guys.

Suradit,

he tarntawan apartments looks like a viable option, I just emailed them to find the rate for 1 month and guest policy. Location looks perfect too.

Lovebkk,

Thanks, I'll definitely check those places out. I've also heard there are some gay clubs that are 98% local Thai's, perhaps they would be worth a try to meet boyfriend material? I remember in Koh Chang the most beautiful thai guy approached me on the beach but I didn't go for it )-:

P.S For the good times with Johnny Cash is great too (-;

Edited by algreen5

Thanks guys.

Lovebkk,

Thanks, I'll definitely check those places out. I've also heard there are some gay clubs that are 98% local Thai's, perhaps they would be worth a try to meet boyfriend material? I remember in Koh Chang the most beautiful thai guy approached me on the beach but I didn't go for it )-:

Thanks for that link. I didn't know there were more versions. Always though Al Green's was the original.

There are many clubs out there that are frequented by locals. there are some what I like to call "club clusters" around town. I name a few you could look up..names could have been changed sine i was there last.

Vulcano

ICY

ICK

Sa-Ke

Maa See Kaa II

And many more.

Word to the wise... Often, boys that frequent these clubs do so because they're not interested in meeting foreigners, they are called "sticky rice." And the boys that would be interested in meeting a foreigner wouldn't want to make contact publicly. In their eyes Thai + Farang = prostitution....something they don't want to get labeled as.

If you're interested I can give you the hotmail iD of an Australian friend of mine. He's 24 and he frequents those bars that you would be interested in. He could also advice you on you quest for an apartment. 35.000 is a crazy amount I think. I'm not sure what you're used to but I'm moving to Pattaya next week and I'm paying 10.000 for a one bedroom apartment which is big, clean, modern and in the center. I guess i could get something similar in BKK for no more than 15.000. I'm just saying that you might want to shop around and don't think that you have to pay loads of money to get something save and nice.

Word to the wise... Often, boys that frequent these clubs do so because they're not interested in meeting foreigners, they are called "sticky rice." And the boys that would be interested in meeting a foreigner wouldn't want to make contact publicly.

And more practically, if you go into places not frequented by farang you'll find the ability (or willingness) to speak English is very limited.Even in some bars frequented by farang, English may be in short supply, but if the place doesn't want farang customers, it'll dry up completely.

Ideally the staff wouldn't bother me at all as I'd find it awkward having to see the same people everyday (especially as I'd plan on having regular guests).

The staff at hotels and other business, especially in Patpong, would regard you as odd if you didn't have regular guests. It's pretty much the primary reason farang stay in that area. You'll quickly lose any sense of awkwardness once you realize no one really cares what you're doing as long as they don't have to clean up after you've done it.

I didn't know that the Tarntawan now has Apts.

When I first came here, I stayed at the hotel and was impressed. It's not cheap, but is perfect for comfort, safety and attitude (like meeting boys).

Are the apts on the same courtyard as the hotel?

If you stay there, let us know what you thought. Be careful of metered water and power--some places rip off.

Whoever said that 35,000 is expensive is right! Even in BKK, you can cut that in half. I think that 17,000 in Tarntawan zone is not bad--ish (despite my big house costing 12,000, in a suburb)

Eddy

Have a look at Ballys, in Silom right on the corner of Soi 2 (DJ Station etc), Regent Serviced Apartment in Soi 2/1 (10 meters from GOD). Most hotels have a monthly rate too, including the very gay friendly Unico Grand Silom.