Raising Pigs In Thailand: A Better Way

RBH and Fruity,

Agree completely. Actually I sat on the floor of the nursery pen with the piglet last night, I didnt lay down. RBH, what your neighbour told you is very true. In those few hours it was a bonding session with the litter of piglets.

Isaanaussie

Have a question for you pig farmers. Is there nutritional value in lamyai for combining into a pig ration for porkers? Would imagine it is possible but I can find nothing as far as feed value on most fruits. We used to feed the excess/spoiled fruit and veggies to hogs along with grain, but we were not into raising pigs except for personal consumption, out of the smoke house. Not scientific or calculated feed regime at all. Some of the fruit prices can hit rock bottom (10 baht kilo or less) at times and I was wondering if they could be incorporated at this price?

Have a question for you pig farmers. Is there nutritional value in lamyai for combining into a pig ration for porkers? Would imagine it is possible but I can find nothing as far as feed value on most fruits. We used to feed the excess/spoiled fruit and veggies to hogs along with grain, but we were not into raising pigs except for personal consumption, out of the smoke house. Not scientific or calculated feed regime at all. Some of the fruit prices can hit rock bottom (10 baht kilo or less) at times and I was wondering if they could be incorporated at this price?

Interesting point. Most fruits have considerable sugar content hence would be an energy source. As to protein content I dont know, but I'll bet that the pigs would love it.

From a more practical point of view at 10 baht it would not be cheaper than the finished cost of commercial maintenance diets. It would also create more work in preparation and cleanup. Imagine slaving over a wheel barrow load of fruit salad then inviting in the local kids for a food fight. An exaggeration I know but pig's table manners in this climate would bring a massive fly problem at the very least.

However I like to give my pigs a treat every now and then.

RBH and Fruity,

Agree completely. Actually I sat on the floor of the nursery pen with the piglet last night, I didnt lay down. RBH, what your neighbour told you is very true. In those few hours it was a bonding session with the litter of piglets.

Isaanaussie

Well after many days my tenacious little gilt piglet finally circumed to the obvious. After hand feeding her for ten days, I admit to shedding a tear when I buried her. Some time ago I was accused of being to close to the children, OK, guilty as charged.

Isaanaussie

Well after many days my tenacious little gilt piglet finally circumed to the obvious. After hand feeding her for ten days, I admit to shedding a tear when I buried her. Some time ago I was accused of being to close to the children, OK, guilty as charged.

Isaanaussie

Couldn't you have eaten it ?

Isaanaussie

I suppose I could have, but you know something? The thought didn't even occur to me at the time.

Isaanaussie

One wonders, if humans were descended from Pigs as opposed to Monkeys, would they be viewed in a more respected light? ..........I personally doubt it. From reading the above quote, it is evident, some humans haven't descended so far as they think they have from the said Monkeys!

About a month ago one of my gilts had an rectal prolapse that was repaired by a team of local vets. Well the day before yesterday it was time for her to check out of the single room and back into communal living with her siblings.

There was a lot of interest and a bit of pushing and shoving during that afternoon but basically I was pleased with the reintroduction. Yesterday morning a neighbour told the wife that there had been a bit of boxing in the sty overnight and I wondered what I would encounter when I went over after breakfast.

Well here was the gilt nearly floating around the rafters with fully inflated ears, man had she been beaten up. Bruised from backside to breakfast but not a single drop of blood anywhere. She was exhausted and laying on the floor with the rest apologising profusely by licking her ballooned ears.

In keeping with the topic, and recognising that "modern" standards call for group housing, I pose the following question. Does anyone know "a better way" to put an estranged pig, or new member into an existing group in an open pen without causing a boxing tournament? Or is it our lot in life to be the morning after cut man?

Isaanaussie

• 2 weeks later...

About a month ago one of my gilts had an rectal prolapse that was repaired by a team of local vets. Well the day before yesterday it was time for her to check out of the single room and back into communal living with her siblings.

There was a lot of interest and a bit of pushing and shoving during that afternoon but basically I was pleased with the reintroduction. Yesterday morning a neighbour told the wife that there had been a bit of boxing in the sty overnight and I wondered what I would encounter when I went over after breakfast.

Well here was the gilt nearly floating around the rafters with fully inflated ears, man had she been beaten up. Bruised from backside to breakfast but not a single drop of blood anywhere. She was exhausted and laying on the floor with the rest apologising profusely by licking her ballooned ears.

In keeping with the topic, and recognising that "modern" standards call for group housing, I pose the following question. Does anyone know "a better way" to put an estranged pig, or new member into an existing group in an open pen without causing a boxing tournament? Or is it our lot in life to be the morning after cut man?

Isaanaussie

Good question. The locals here reccommend squirting all the pigs with see sip (white whisky / 40%). The thinking behind it is that it masks the individual smell of each pigs thereby giving the introduced piglet time to re-establish itself within the group heirachy without being overtly singled out. A western remedy I've read about is to squirt the pigs with washing up liquid mixed with water, though I doubt whether this is as effective a means of masking individual pig smell. I've not tried either remedy so can't vouch for their effectiveness.

I've had little success reintroducing growers to a group. The aggravation they give to the reintroduced pig is pretty shocking (I've tried it twice with one pig and that was enough for me; we were lucky to get the pig out alive both times) and I've therefore tended to keep seperated pigs apart if they have been removed from the family group. With my older pigs I've had few problems. We had a pair of sisters seperated for over 4 months (against my wishes at the time), but when put back together again (after both had given birth and weaned their piglets), we had absolutely no problem. They were as happy as punch and there was no posturing or fighting whatsoever.

Isaanaussie

Good question. The locals here reccommend squirting all the pigs with see sip (white whisky / 40%). The thinking behind it is that it masks the individual smell of each pigs thereby giving the introduced piglet time to re-establish itself within the group heirachy without being overtly singled out. A western remedy I've read about is to squirt the pigs with washing up liquid mixed with water, though I doubt whether this is as effective a means of masking individual pig smell. I've not tried either remedy so can't vouch for their effectiveness.

I've had little success reintroducing growers to a group. The aggravation they give to the reintroduced pig is pretty shocking (I've tried it twice with one pig and that was enough for me; we were lucky to get the pig out alive both times) and I've therefore tended to keep seperated pigs apart if they have been removed from the family group. With my older pigs I've had few problems. We had a pair of sisters seperated for over 4 months (against my wishes at the time), but when put back together again (after both had given birth and weaned their piglets), we had absolutely no problem. They were as happy as punch and there was no posturing or fighting whatsoever.

Understand and have been through that. IMHO whiskey here has one destination, into the mindless internals of the "your helper" who no doubt volunteered the ministration. 100% BS. My prolapse pig had recovered and was reintroduced to her siblings. She got a real hiding over two or three days and then was the subject of sympathy from the rest, a few baht from me and some jabs fron the vet. Now back to where she belongs with her sisters.

Sorry for my aggressive response but I have had more than I can stand about the healing powers of that 40% mind destroying filth. Stick with the soap.

Isaanaussie

Isaanaussie

Understand and have been through that. IMHO whiskey here has one destination, into the mindless internals of the "your helper" who no doubt volunteered the ministration. 100% BS. My prolapse pig had recovered and was reintroduced to her siblings. She got a real hiding over two or three days and then was the subject of sympathy from the rest, a few baht from me and some jabs fron the vet. Now back to where she belongs with her sisters.

Sorry for my aggressive response but I have had more than I can stand about the healing powers of that 40% mind destroying filth. Stick with the soap.

Isaanaussie

So you're not a fan of see sip then? I'm quite happy to indulge in a tipple now and then myself when drinking with my Thai friends and neighbours.

The principle of masking body odor though is a reasonable one. Critical factors in successful reinroduction imo are size of group piglet is being reintroduced to (the smaller the better), space and opportunity to escape (difficult for them to get away in any environment but in tightly confined overcrowed sties it's murder), the length of time the piglet has beeen seperated from the group (the shorter the better), and the physical health and stamina of the returning piglet (needs to be 100% recovered and fit).

An alternative approach is to return piglet to pen but in fenced off area so that it cannot be attacked but can be seen and smelt. This approach gives all piglets a time to re-familiarise themselves with each other and in theory should reduce the attention the piglet gets when released fully into the company of the group a day or so later. Introduce at feeding time so that there is a gradual realisation of the returned piglet.

In all cases of re-integrating pigs a close and regular monitoring of the situation is required. I personally know of incidences where piglets that have died through stress or the physical exhaustion from being relentlessly being persued and attacked.

Reintroducing older pigs into small group is from my experience not such a big problem as trying to reintegrate growers. When we put one 6 month old with two 7 month old sisters, the dominant sister fought it out with the interloper, they rested, fought again, rested, fought again and that was that. The less dominant sister had no interest in fighting whatsoever, and accepted the new heirachy. However, group relationships were never as good as before, so, I think it's best to stick with long standing family groups, rater than mixing in other non family member pigs.

Given all this, I guess the question arises, why keep pigs in groups at all rather than keeping them alone in individual pens? Quality of life and repecting of core pig behavoraial needs are two good reasons. Pigs, like Thais, need to live in heirachical groups to live reasonably happy lives. I've raised pigs both ways and I have no doubt whatsoever which is better: group living in stable family groups cannot be beat. Would be interested to hear any dissenting voices to that view.

we had a few cows once, they would love to eat the lamyai and lamyai leaves, more so than grass. I also kept a couple of pigs once and they developed a taste for teak Leaves, and then teak Bark. Maybe I didnt feed them enough, do they ever stop eating .

Anyway, Lamyai is indeed High in Sugar, which they dont necessarily have to burn off. probably got lots of healthy nutrients too. The skin will have lots too, and dont forget theres a seed or nut in the lamyai which wont be wasted too.

Lamyai prices seem to have recovered this year , but in a poor year why not.

Pigs, like Thais, need to live in heirachical groups to live reasonably happy lives. I've raised pigs both ways and I have no doubt whatsoever which is better: group living in stable family groups cannot be beat. Would be interested to hear any dissenting voices to that view.

Charlie,

No dissention from me, family groups are the way to go.

I am amused by the reference to the similarity to Thais, how true. Like pigs the occasional swabbles between family members, are violent but short lived and only over a few rounds. Let me ask you a question, do pigs build up long term resentment and bottle up emotions like Thais? I certainly hope not!

Pigs, like Thais, need to live in heirachical groups to live reasonably happy lives. I've raised pigs both ways and I have no doubt whatsoever which is better: group living in stable family groups cannot be beat. Would be interested to hear any dissenting voices to that view.

Charlie,

No dissention from me, family groups are the way to go.

I am amused by the reference to the similarity to Thais, how true. Like pigs the occasional swabbles between family members, are violent but short lived and only over a few rounds. Let me ask you a question, do pigs build up long term resentment and bottle up emotions like Thais? I certainly hope not!

You can answer that yourself IssanAussie, just observe your family of pigs over the songkran period B)

Ok, I am looking for some opinions on a pending decision I have to make.

I have a litter of 10 pigs now at 80 Kgs. Four barrows are destined for the freezer. The six gilts will join the breeding herd, in fact be the first in the new sty. Each sow in the old sty is separately housed. The new sty has five gestation pens measuring 3 metres wide and 5 metres deep. Four for sows and one for gilts. At the front of each of the pens are four individual feeding stalls with feeder and drinking bowl which can be closed to form a gestation crate if needed. There are two communal drinkers at the back of the pen in the dunging area. The dunging area is 1.5 metres and the pens are separated by a gate over that length.

My ultimate goal is to have four groups of four sows with a reserve of four gilts. The sows will be run on a 35 and 42 day batch cycle program with the gilts being breed as well to fill any returns by the sows. Surplus gilts will be sold pregnant on not, sows as a group will be culled after the fifth parity. My logic is to maintain a high level of first parity gilts and to minimise the effect of returns. Since I only have four sows in a group the breeding success rate drops by 25% for each return. Returned sows will remain in their gestation pen when the others farrow. More than one return per group allows the decision to replace the whole group of sows after farrowing with the replacement gilts.

So here is the question; Do I keep them together until after their first season or split them into two groups of three in seperate gestation pens to start training now?

Options are I could keep the back gate open and let the six select which pen/group they prefer. Or I could house them in a finishing pen until they are older.

What do you more experienced pig farmers think?

Isaanaussie

Ok, I am looking for some opinions on a pending decision I have to make.

I have a litter of 10 pigs now at 80 Kgs. Four barrows are destined for the freezer. The six gilts will join the breeding herd, in fact be the first in the new sty. Each sow in the old sty is separately housed. The new sty has five gestation pens measuring 3 metres wide and 5 metres deep. Four for sows and one for gilts. At the front of each of the pens are four individual feeding stalls with feeder and drinking bowl which can be closed to form a gestation crate if needed. There are two communal drinkers at the back of the pen in the dunging area. The dunging area is 1.5 metres and the pens are separated by a gate over that length.

My ultimate goal is to have four groups of four sows with a reserve of four gilts. The sows will be run on a 35 and 42 day batch cycle program with the gilts being breed as well to fill any returns by the sows. Surplus gilts will be sold pregnant on not, sows as a group will be culled after the fifth parity. My logic is to maintain a high level of first parity gilts and to minimise the effect of returns. Since I only have four sows in a group the breeding success rate drops by 25% for each return. Returned sows will remain in their gestation pen when the others farrow. More than one return per group allows the decision to replace the whole group of sows after farrowing with the replacement gilts.

So here is the question; Do I keep them together until after their first season or split them into two groups of three in seperate gestation pens to start training now?

Options are I could keep the back gate open and let the six select which pen/group they prefer. Or I could house them in a finishing pen until they are older.

What do you more experienced pig farmers think?

Isaanaussie

Oh come on guys, someone must have a tip, advice or even an opinion?

Oh come on guys, someone must have a tip, advice or even an opinion?

IA

Seen as no one else wants to be the first to give you advice I'll jump in. I reckon you sit the ungrateful little bitches down and individually (I reckon you've probably given them names?) or collectively give them a stern talking to. You need to tell them that you have gone to a lot of trouble and expense building a new house for them and that if they so much as create any trouble, then they will follow their brothers to siberia. All young (gilts) Isaan girls know that the ultimate goal is to get the farang to build them a new house for them and their sisters.

Seriously, I don't think there are too many people out there who would be able to offer you an informed opinion on this as most of us would be looking to you for an answer. You seem to have taken over the mantle as the resident expert on this forum since maisefarmer's demise (does anyone know why he doesn't post anymore?). You seem to me to be someone who has done a lot of research into the details needed to make a success of your projects and as a result are a wealth of knowledge which has assited me and I'm sure alot of others here.

As for your current problem I would never have even considered this an issue during my short time working with pigs, however it seems that their welfare (mental) plays a significant part in their overall performance. So my suggestion is to pick one course of action and implement it, taking note of the outcomes and then with the next lot of gilts try the alternative and then you may finally have your answer. Given that at some time your "girls" are going to get out of synch with each other (return) then it may become very complicated to manage. If I understand your post correctly you plan to "slip" a whole group of sows if one returns to keep them together and subsitiute a group of gilts to keep the production program on track. If this correct then and you leave the late farrower in the pen and hold the others back to catch up to her then that would mean feeding the waiting sows for no return. At some point I think a decision between production and animal mental welfare will need to be made. I am sure that like kids they will sort themselves out before any major damage is done if you just throw them in the deep end.

cheers and keep posting I enjoy reading your thoughts and info

Taking OOTAI's post one paragraph at a time

I reckon you sit the ungrateful little bitches down and individually (I reckon you've probably given them names?) or collectively give them a stern talking to. You need to tell them that you have gone to a lot of trouble and expense building a new house for them and that if they so much as create any trouble, then they will follow their brothers to siberia. All young (gilts) Isaan girls know that the ultimate goal is to get the farang to build them a new house for them and their sisters.

Close OOTAI, I actually load the bacon slicer and sausage mincer into the push cart and parade it up and down the centre aisle. No need to say a thing.

Seriously, I don't think there are too many people out there who would be able to offer you an informed opinion on this as most of us would be looking to you for an answer. You seem to have taken over the mantle as the resident expert on this forum since maisefarmer's demise (does anyone know why he doesn't post anymore?). You seem to me to be someone who has done a lot of research into the details needed to make a success of your projects and as a result are a wealth of knowledge which has assited me and I'm sure alot of others here.

Well read describes me pretty accurately. I can not claim to have the hands on experience of many of the members of this forum. The only mantle I know of is over the fireplace, I think I get much more out of the forum than I contribute. But I sure enjoy getting my hands dirty giving what I see as good ideas a crack. but I make more mistakes than that famous Indian cricketer, Copt-one Inda-naz.

As for your current problem I would never have even considered this an issue during my short time working with pigs, however it seems that their welfare (mental) plays a significant part in their overall performance. So my suggestion is to pick one course of action and implement it, taking note of the outcomes and then with the next lot of gilts try the alternative and then you may finally have your answer. Given that at some time your "girls" are going to get out of synch with each other (return) then it may become very complicated to manage. If I understand your post correctly you plan to "slip" a whole group of sows if one returns to keep them together and subsitiute a group of gilts to keep the production program on track. If this correct then and you leave the late farrower in the pen and hold the others back to catch up to her then that would mean feeding the waiting sows for no return. At some point I think a decision between production and animal mental welfare will need to be made. I am sure that like kids they will sort themselves out before any major damage is done if you just throw them in the deep end.

I agree with the mental health side completely and add the need to maximise the productive throughput as the second objective, I do not see a need to decide between the two. Keeping them in Family groups seems to minimise confrontations, segregated feeding lowers it again.

On the returns issue, the backup gilts will supply fill-in occupation of the farrowing crates. If two sows in a group miss more than one cycle then after that second cycle the gilts would take over and the group of sows meet they maker. Of course there are regrouping options that can be looked at as well. The best laid plans of mice and men.....

cheers and keep posting I enjoy reading your thoughts and info

My pleasure.

Isaan Aussie

Edited by IsaanAussie

• 8 months later...

Frankly...i couldn't care more, i'm running a farm business for livinghood, not a shelter or rescue center, others can call it what they want !... As long as there's no sign of stress or absurd abuse (there's people caught mounting sow with their pants down)

People that want to consider very good welfare, should take them in as pets, shouldn't farm piggeries, shouldn't raise them for slaughter, should turn vegetarian and not eat meat !!!...We have abbots betting underground lotteries and eating meat !...Criticise that ~

Well said RBH,

It is a business for me too. The future of the pigs is pre-ordained, and pre-planned. I mean them no harm but most are ultimately going to die young. That means caring well for the pigs to protect the investment.

Isaanaussie

Sorry RedBullHorn but comments like yours just beggar belief. The empty bravado of a man who values nothing but the additional few baht. Sad and sickening and totally unnecessary. Land, cost of buildings, cost of feed are all so cheap in Thailand that providing some additional space, providing an environment that respects the behaviorial needs of the pig and giving considerate animal husbandry is such a small cost compared to the huge cost to your soul your attitude brings.

I don't raise pets either. I raise pigs for sale and slaughter. And yes, for the money too. But I get so more back than just that, as most good pig farmers woud know. It's not weak to raise with love and slaughter with kindness. Not girly to care about every aspect of your pigs welfare. It just responsible pig raising. One day you may realise that.

Frankly...i couldn't care more, i'm running a farm business for livinghood, not a shelter or rescue center, others can call it what they want !... As long as there's no sign of stress or absurd abuse (there's people caught mounting sow with their pants down)

People that want to consider very good welfare, should take them in as pets, shouldn't farm piggeries, shouldn't raise them for slaughter, should turn vegetarian and not eat meat !!!...We have abbots betting underground lotteries and eating meat !...Criticise that ~

Well said RBH,

It is a business for me too. The future of the pigs is pre-ordained, and pre-planned. I mean them no harm but most are ultimately going to die young. That means caring well for the pigs to protect the investment.

Isaanaussie

Sorry RedBullHorn but comments like yours just beggar belief. The empty bravado of a man who values nothing but the additional few baht. Sad and sickening and totally unnecessary. Land, cost of buildings, cost of feed are all so cheap in Thailand that providing some additional space, providing an environment that respects the behaviorial needs of the pig and giving considerate animal husbandry is such a small cost compared to the huge cost to your soul your attitude brings.

I don't raise pets either. I raise pigs for sale and slaughter. And yes, for the money too. But I get so more back than just that, as most good pig farmers woud know. It's not weak to raise with love and slaughter with kindness. Not girly to care about every aspect of your pigs welfare. It just responsible pig raising. One day you may realise that.

Charlie,

These days I would leave this alone save for the fact you have involved me by inference with the quote you sight. With respect I think you are misreading RBH's comments. I have got to know him quite well and from private conversions can assure you, this man does care for his pigs as much as anyone I know. Recently we had a conversation on an eye condition of one of his pigs. One out of seventy. As a second observation, RBH has many other business interests apart from the pigs, but his contracted finishing operation is to me a model operation. I know of no-one on this forum topic who has a better knowledge of, connection to, and understanding of the pig industry here in Thailand.

Personally my operation is based on the breeding herd and as such I need to know my pigs as individuals much better than pigs I raise to market weight as I own them for much longer and have to handle them more individually. I can understand your comments if your piggery is like mine, but with respect, on this ocassion you have got it wrong. RBH is a straight up good guy.

Isaan Aussie.

• 2 months later...

For a while I raised the wild boar type pig with no concrete floors just the dirt underneath them on a high hill with a tree fenced in with bamboo with straw roofs and separate pens. I had no smell hardly unless it rained a lot fed them the cabbage and tomatoes I was growing plus pig feed. Unfortunately the cost of keeping them was more than the cost of selling them so I abandoned the project. They were happy pigs though and I had no problems with them and I hated to see them go.

For a while I raised the wild boar type pig with no concrete floors just the dirt underneath them on a high hill with a tree fenced in with bamboo with straw roofs and separate pens. I had no smell hardly unless it rained a lot fed them the cabbage and tomatoes I was growing plus pig feed. Unfortunately the cost of keeping them was more than the cost of selling them so I abandoned the project. They were happy pigs though and I had no problems with them and I hated to see them go.

DAR,

IMHO is it a good time to get back into pig farming now. Prices are good and pigs in short supply. I just sold some piglets to another TV member and if all things go as planned he has a 40% return after feed costs are taking into account.

Isaan Aussie.

PS. Got 30 more piglets here if anyone is interested. Send me a PM for details.