Telescope

SwaziBird

We have a view (for the moment) stretching across the city and the Mae Ping. There's always something to look at and we'd like to get a medium-power telescope on tripod.

Any suggestions where we might look without having to spend on an astro-physicists equipment ?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers

There are a couple vendors in Airport Plaza, the ones with a stand in the aisleway. At least two of them have telescopes and binoculars.

I also spotted a shop at Tesco Lotus that has them.

If you want to search even further, any of the camera shops would be worth asking about them.

Alternatively, if you are doing a Visa run, you can get them on the Burma side at Mai Sai.....I bought some 'Olympus' binoculars and they were really good quality...which was surprising.....they also had telescopes....aim for 50% of their initial price.....can take 10 mins or so to get to the price though rolleyes.gif

I think a telescope is going to invert the image. We really like using high powered binoculars on a tripod for this purpose. Doesn't take up as much space as a telescope, either. The tripod really improves the quality of the image.

We really like using high powered binoculars on a tripod for this purpose. Doesn't take up as much space as a telescope, either. The tripod really improves the quality of the image.

Reckon I'd go the bino route, too. Could also easily take them on outings for birdwatching and the like if you're into that sort of thing.

On another tack, anyone know where one can get one of these here, lighted magnifying glass?:

Magnifier-Light-ESD.jpg

There are a couple vendors in Airport Plaza, the ones with a stand in the aisleway. At least two of them have telescopes and binoculars.

Which floor/side?

On the third floor for sure. I believe it would be the south side, if my compass is right.

These are the stands that have an assortment of all kinds of neat stuff. I think even magnifing glasses, and compasses too. I should have picked one up.

We really like using high powered binoculars on a tripod for this purpose. Doesn't take up as much space as a telescope, either. The tripod really improves the quality of the image.

Reckon I'd go the bino route, too. Could also easily take them on outings for birdwatching and the like if you're into that sort of thing.

On another tack, anyone know where one can get one of these here, lighted magnifying glass?:

Magnifier-Light-ESD.jpg

It just occured to me, if you're going down to airport plaza, stop in at Robinson's. It's either on the 3rd or 4th floor where they have a "stationery, art supply, music, etc." department.

There's a good chance they'll have a lighted magnifier.

I think a telescope is going to invert the image.

that is a good point... virtually all Astronomical telescopes do not have an erecting prism, and consequently do give an inverted or upside down image.. Totally useless for terrestrial viewing.

you need a 'spotting scope' typically used by naturalists & hunters etc..

so to the OP, for your needs avoid this type...

telescope.jpg

and look for this style..

KowaSpottingScope14.jpg

On the third floor for sure. I believe it would be the south side, if my compass is right.

These are the stands that have an assortment of all kinds of neat stuff. I think even magnifing glasses, and compasses too. I should have picked one up.

Spot on! Can't believe I missed them as I walk past there frequently and was specifically looking for the bleedin things. :wacko: They did indeed have magnifing glasses and ones with the light, although was after a clip-on type that runs of USB. Picked up something at Panthip after.

I've seen telescopes and binoculars at all the above mentioned places, but what I haven't seen and have been looking for is a microscope. Has anyone seen a shop with one??

Same here, I was looking for one for the boy and was even considering contacting the hospitals to inquire what they do with their old ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a telescope is going to invert the image.

that is a good point... virtually all Astronomical telescopes do not have an erecting prism, and consequently do give an inverted or upside down image.. Totally useless for terrestrial viewing.

you need a 'spotting scope' typically used by naturalists & hunters etc..

so to the OP, for your needs avoid this type...

telescope.jpg

and look for this style..

KowaSpottingScope14.jpg

Thanks to all for the advice.

Very much appreciated.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...

Hi.

I went to Airport plaza and found but one stall on the 3rd floor.

I got a compass (100-400 THB), a Bushnell Binocular (cannnot find the model at their website, but it states PowerViev 10x-120x90 ZOOM (they wanted THB 1990) and a Spotting Scope (that was the only scope they had - chinese Jie He Pengjie Optics 20-60x60 w. rotatable eyepiece and tripod (a spotting scopeis not inverting the picture) (asking price 3990) for a total of THB 5400 (not more than an expensive night including female company).

The equipment is quit good. I can sit on the eastern side of the super hw and see details like cables on the wat on the western mountain side. Non inverted.

This morning ca. 4 AM there were a few stars in the south - the rest of the sky is cloudy due to the rainy season.

Here is my question. As it is virtually impossible (30 min - 1h) to find, focus and keep stable a star with the the spotting scope on a tripod (you blow air from your mouth on it and the picture wobbles), I will consider heavier equipment. My idea (due to lack of cash) is to buy a heavy duty tripod with motor and a device to be connected to the laptop (and may be a GPS). Then I will mount and calibrate the spotting scope on the new tripod. Later on I can buy an expensive astronomical refracting scope.

Any ideas where to start? (I have seen the two retailers in BKK over. Is it a viable idea?

Thanks

I've seen telescopes and binoculars at all the above mentioned places, but what I haven't seen and have been looking for is a microscope. Has anyone seen a shop with one??

Yep, me too. Only ones I can find online here are very, very expensive industrial microscopes well out of my price range (talking thousands of dollars) - and toy ones. Seems many camera shops and stalls stock telescopes, magnifying glasses and binoculars, but no one seems to stock even basic microscope (guess the locals are into looking through eachother windows - erm I mean star gazing, but not interested in science).

Schools have them here, so wonder where they get them from. Any teachers out there (and CM has a few) that could ask their director for a heads up on micropscope suppliers?

-- I'll try a standalone thread as there seems to be a few of us after one.

Edited by wolf5370