Posting My Passport To The Uk

hansum

Ive got to post my passport from BKK to the UK asap to get a new work visa. (not for Thailand)

Are there any services in the regular post office that guarantee your passport will definitely get there by say Tuesday next week.

Or is it a case of using Fedex TNT?

Thanks for any info in advance

Edited by hansum

I have done this, use DHL only.

I have had problems with FEDEX & UPS.

Put your passport in a sealed envelope and sign the package as 'Documents'.

Don't let the staff see a passport, use a brown A5 envelope and place that in the plastic DHL mail bag.

You should be O.K.

Be sure to use internet track & trace on return of passport so you can be sure to collect it outside of your accommodation.

Ive got to post my passport from BKK to the UK asap to get a new work visa. (not for Thailand)

Are there any services in the regular post office that guarantee your passport will definitely get there by say Tuesday next week.

Or is it a case of using Fedex TNT?

Thanks for any info in advance

Are you sure that the actual passport has to be sent.....whatever carrier you use items do get mislaid...would not a notorised and certified copy be acceptable.

Lose your passport and big problems loom up....plus,its illegal not to have your passport available in Thailand.

Are you sure that the actual passport has to be sent.....whatever carrier you use items do get mislaid...would not a notorised and certified copy be acceptable.

Lose your passport and big problems loom up....plus,its illegal not to have your passport available in Thailand.

They almost certainly want the passport, most countries stick a visa in it particularly if it's a work/business visa (yes I know there are countries that don't actually place anything in the PP but they are a minority).

That's why I have two passports, one to keep me legal in Thailand, the other to send to assorted embassies for visas.

Definitely stick with a courier service, and since many don't allow passports (DHL do by the way) make sure it is well hidden from the agent.

They almost certainly want the passport, most countries stick a visa in it particularly if it's a work/business visa (yes I know there are countries that don't actually place anything in the PP but they are a minority).

That's why I have two passports, one to keep me legal in Thailand, the other to send to assorted embassies for visas.

Definitely stick with a courier service, and since many don't allow passports (DHL do by the way) make sure it is well hidden from the agent.

is it easy to get a second Passport? i thought you are only allowed to have one?

is it easy to get a second Passport? i thought you are only allowed to have one?

Depends on nationality. Ask at your embassy. Usually needs a good reason and a reference letter.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

If you are from UK, and you haved a valid reason to have a 2nd passport, it is no problem if you apply with a letter from your company stating the reason. I have 2 UK passports as I work in africa and middle east a lot and it can take some time to get visas.

Many countries offer two passports, all totally legal.

I reinforce keeping at least one set of photocopies of all personal documents. It's a nuisance but not really difficult.

A couple of years back a UK friend had his house broken into whilst he was sleeping, the thieves took everything: TVs and other appliances, notebook computer, a small safe holding his passport, work permit, chanut for his house (in the name of his Thai wife), Tabien Baan book, wifes jewellery and gold, etc, even his pants holding his wallet, cash, credit cards, driving licences etc and his car keys.

Replacing all of this took him about six months with continuous frustration because he needed various documents (all stolen) before he could request other documents etc. His initial report at the local police station was incomplete because he kept discovering that more items were gone, hence more and more police reports. He didn't have photocopies of any documents, which would have helped enormously to replace his work permit and many more documents.

Another way to do this is to scan all of your documents, regularly, then e.mail the file(s) to yourself, so that you can easily retrieve the files, even if your computer is stolen, or breaks down, or you are away from your computer.

Edited by scorecard