Tgf In Scotland

raven0099

Hello ,

How do you think my tgf will adapt to life in Scotland ? Its something that greatly concerns me considering i live in a very small village on an island with a population of 20000 and not much happening and also the weather ! the food ! the rules ! no little scooter/bike to nip to the shop on without licence , insurance etc , no seven eleven , no tesco lotus , no disco techs, no night markets, poor public transport , no big glitzy shopping centres , no friends here to gamble with, to me i would think she will quickly be very bored and realise she doesnt like it, we get on well bar the occasional argument which all relationships have , but all our time together has been spent in Thailand, theres no way i could move there until i retire which is many years away like 30+ , so it sort of worries me to the point i cant sleep good sometimes , ive talked to her and she says she knows sometime have to be boring life, which is fair enough , and also says if she is beside me she will be happy always , which is nice to hear but i still worry about it , because shes never even researched anything about the place and i think if it was me i would want to find out as much as possible about a place i may have to be for the rest of my life ?

Don't move there, move to the Mainland when you retire in 30 years plus if your still with her where more is happening, or better still when you decide to move , move to England where it's far more entertaining and happening... :lol:

Nothing wrong in palnning for the future but IMO your being rather premature but good luck... ;) oh And get some sleep, don't want to be tired for your GF do you..

Ochh wee laddie…….there be only one true test….

Feed her several deep fried Mars bars and some haggis, chased down with a wee dram of single malt …..meanwhile you are in the background reading Robbie burns to the accompaniment of bagpipes…..

it’s a tough test granted, but if she passes, she be a keeper

• Like 2

When I moved to Shetland with my scottish girlfriend a few years ago she was hit on by almost every single bloke she met.......most of the local lassies want to escape and I doubt your GF would be much different......Edinburgh or Glasgow sure but the islands almost no chance for long term.

NO chance meet her half way and move to the mainland she will still get home sick.

How old is she? I ask because IMO and from experience (and other couple also) seem to settle a wee bit quicker the older they are.

You mention gambling that would have me back peddling straight away.

Good luck you will need it.

NO chance meet her half way and move to the mainland she will still get home sick.

How old is she? I ask because IMO and from experience (and other couple also) seem to settle a wee bit quicker the older they are.

You mention gambling that would have me back peddling straight away.

Good luck you will need it.

Pretty much agree with Mr Sausage. If your in it for the long term your best bet would be to get her up the duff as soon as possible, it will keep her busy.

In about twenty years when I'm 64 I could see myself living on a scottish Island, a good book and a wee dram and I'd be very happy I'm sure :D

<BR>NO chance meet her half way and move to the mainland she will still get home sick.  <BR><BR>How old is she? I ask because IMO and from experience (and other couple also) seem to settle a wee bit quicker the older they are.<BR><BR>You mention gambling that would have me back peddling straight away.<BR><BR>Good luck you will need it.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>25 , i dont really see the gambling as a problem , i mean they usually sit around we a hundred baht of ten coins and play we that and have grub and a laugh , sometimes drink but not all the time, its not everyday so im not to worried about it , the mainlands got its ups but its not all good , saftey wise i mean , but thanks for your advice , i think what is needed is just to chill out a bit see what happens , at the end of the day ill soon know if she doesnt like it after her holiday visa , all thats lost is a bit of money <BR><BR>

reading between the lines of your post, is your TGF a bargirl? if so she will be bored very quickly , but as from your post, the grass is always green on the other side

hi , no shes not a bar girl , she works in a shopping centre and her mum and dad have a bit of a buisness renting small houses , what made you think she is a bar girl ? im curious to know ?

I live with my Thai wife and stepdaughter in London. My wife would far rather be tramping across the glens regardless of the weather, Berghaus jackets and Meindl hiking boots are what she prefers to spend her money on. Her knowledge of cards doesn't go beyond Snap. Our daughter is off to the islands this weekend to indulge in her love of open water kayaking and wild camping. Typical Thai's...hel_l no!!

I wish you luck but I would have to concur with many of the posts above.

So its seems everyone thinks its a no , which was pretty much what i expected, but i did think maybe someone might have been a bit more positive, but anyway im not going too end the relationship because of this that wouldnt be fair on her or me and i would always wonder if it would have worked. but i think time will tell if it works or not , still a bit away from making the visa so im just going to chill out relax and see what happens. Youre only here the once so you might as well make the best of it, what will be will be :)

I reckon the OP stands a pretty good chance of making it all work, despite the slightly remote location, perhaps the key to understanding that is know where she has spent most of her life thus far. Chances are that if she's lived in a village then she'll be used to the quiet life and the associated remoteness, even if she has spent some time in or near bright lights. I've had this same discussion with my better half and used to have a few of your concerns also, we're planning on moving to a village in the south of England and this will suit me just fine but I was worried about how she would handle things. Mrs CM's response to me on this subject went along the lines of, "you've seen my village and my home many times, not a even a 7/11 and nothing else for miles around and I lived there for twenty five years, how do you think I'll get on in a "remote" English village"!

I reckon the OP stands a pretty good chance of making it all work, despite the slightly remote location, perhaps the key to understanding that is know where she has spent most of her life thus far. Chances are that if she's lived in a village then she'll be used to the quiet life and the associated remoteness, even if she has spent some time in or near bright lights. I've had this same discussion with my better half and used to have a few of your concerns also, we're planning on moving to a village in the south of England and this will suit me just fine but I was worried about how she would handle things. Mrs CM's response to me on this subject went along the lines of, "you've seen my village and my home many times, not a even a 7/11 and nothing else for miles around and I lived there for twenty five years, how do you think I'll get on in a "remote" English village"!

Very true. You can cut this so many different ways. At the end of the day its so much down to the individual, some can do more than just hack it but fit right in, others just can't make the adjustment. That can apply to anyone not just a girl from LOS. Lets face it, in all the circumstances he has described there is no reason not to do it.

Edited by roamer

Very true. You can cut this so many different ways. At the end of the day its so much down to the individual, some can do more than just hack it but fit right in, others just can't make the adjustment. That can apply to anyone not just a girl from LOS. Lets face it, in all the circumstances he has described there is no reason not to do it.

Roamer I'm so touched, post 1,000 and you dedicated it to agreeing with me, almost makes me want to rush out and buy you a case of beer, almost!

Sorry if this sound cliche' but everyone is an individual. You have no idea how well a person will adapt until you test the water. Even ourselves for that matter. Of course there will be an adjustment period as well. The only way to know, is to test it out. Even then, the only way to know, is to test it out over a period of time (most everyone goes through culture shock..and this will take time..usually about a year of adjustment).

In my humble opinion - not a chance. Most European girls would not like it.

However, you may be lucky and have a one in a million girlfriend.

Why on earth would most European girls not like it?

Don't take her back to Scotland, most people here (myself included) would only give you 6 months.

Continue with holiday visits to Thailand until you can afford to live in Thailand or somewhere decent.

Edited by cardholder

Roamer I'm so touched, post 1,000 and you dedicated it to agreeing with me, almost makes me want to rush out and buy you a case of beer, almost!

Wow 1000 posts!! Never noticed it, just crept up on me like so many other things these days..... :(

If it does not work out in Scotland and you cannot afford to live in Thailand why not move to London.Sure the weather is still pants but plenty of shopping centre's, a big Thai community, Big Asian supermarkets like 'SeeWoo' that stock loads of Thai stuff.I know loads of Thai's that live happily in London (and one or two Scots as well).Hope it works out for you on the Scottish Island but good to have a plan B as a compromise.

That island is too cold and gloomy for a thai soul to live, people in london are too cold for a thai soul, and the spirits and ghosts cant understand thai language, she cannot pray

she cant even splash a bucket of water at a londoner's face during the festival

She can go and pray here in London:

http://www.buddhapadipa.org/

There must be Thai Temples in Scotland as well.

If she needs to play water in Songkran so much just go to Thailand on holiday at this time.

Not sure what to do about cold soul's or conversations with ghosts, non of my many Thai friends in London have ever mentioned this is a problem for them.

Edited by jay1980

When my Girlfriend and I were becoming serious we discussed the fact that while she has family, friends, a business and many contacts here my future priorities have to be with my (and our future) financial security, the consequence of which is after balancing all other considerations and given favorable opportunities I may ask that we move to and live in another country.

With this in mind I asked one thing. If or when that day arose can we give it a try for one year without complaint or regret. If at the end of 12 months there were issues I would then be prepared to listen to emotion and if necessary go back to square one.

I met my wife in Bangkok and she is happy here, so am I. In another country things might not be the same but with the knowledge that it might not be our last destination and there is always a square one to go back to any pressures of a foreign land may be minimized.

I believe that ultimately it is this acceptance to compromise which generates the best potential for success in any location.

Now married I realize that it may be wrong to move from my Wife's family and friends to any location other than one with the support of my family and close friends.

My wife is three years younger than I, from a similar socioeconomic demographic and can fit in as an equal in the UK. There are only a couple of doubts I have regarding this last statement and they are food and language (language in this context means linguistic humor which is individual to any specific tongue and something we all grew up with and love).

Every Thai I know is so well acquainted with the diversity of foods available to us in Thailand (Bangkok) that living in any other country might test the tolerance of gastronomic satisfaction we have all become used to in Thailand.

Additionally, every Thai I know loves to joke, tease and play with dialogue to a degree possible only in ones native tongue or for one with exceptional language skills.

Home will always be home and while I consider Thailand my home, a small patch of England will always remain so. I'd imagine this to be very much true for Thai's - As such any length of time outside of ones home is surely a test of ones character which as a previous posters have mentioned can only be tested with the proverbial 'toe in the water'.

Good luck, but keep a back up plan, 'What's good for the Goose is not necessarily good for the Gander'....

95% chance of it being a bit of a disaster. Best case scenario she'd want to leave after a couple of months and you might lose the relationship. Worst case scenario, well things can go horribly wrong in ways you would not consider possible.

The key is to avoid her feeling isolated from the start. If she finds friens of her own quickly and you have a very supportive family then it could work out very well.

Family is hugely important to Thais and she will need this support in a new country for things to be OK......but I've seen it turn out much the worse....good luck.

You didn't think about these problems arising before the poor girl ever went to UK ? unsure.gif

The UK is a Million miles away for her, and in general, the people are very miserable in UK, she must be suffering.