Non-immigrant O Visa (guardian)....

I'm moving to Thailand in two weeks with my two children, who will be going to school there. My husband will only be visiting on a Tourist Visa (working elsewhere). I can get a Non-immigrant O visa as the (non-working) guardian of my children, who will have student visas.

I have now been advised by the school that I have to open a Thai bank account and deposit 800,000 baht which needs to be there for at least three months in order to get my visa extension! The Thai Consulate here never mentioned that, and I grilled them pretty thoroughly about requirements.

This scuppers everything - I certainly can't get my hands on that kind of money....

Anybody had this experience or have any info? Thanks for any comments!

The Consulate has no authority for extensions of stay. Immigration controls extensions and below is the official requirement from the web site:

Application for further stay for a parent to support a child who is studying

Required Documents

Immigration form 7

A copy of passport

A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

Evidence showing at least 800,000 bath in the bank account and Evidence of money transferred from overseas or evidence of income Earnings

A copy of pass-book with bank statement from the bank the applicant has an account

Evidence indicating the relationship of mother and child or father and child. All documents not in Thai must be translated into Thai and certified by the embassy or consulate of the country that issues these documents

A copy of the child's passport including the visa to stay in Thailand

The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

Note

For more information, please call 0-2285-5148

You're right... the amount is pretty stiff. Thai gov't probably imposes this restriction to keep out folks who want to use their kids as an easy excuse to get long term visas.

Good luck with your plans!

Edited by Gumballl

Thanks....tell me, would it work if I came in on a Tourist Visa and then changed to a Non - O when I managed to get the money together? I know that I would have to leave the country every three months, but as long as I'm not working, is there a problem with that set-up?

Thanks for any ideas....

If you are comfortable doing visa runs and leaving children (don't know location but if island it is going to be overnight I suspect for just a re entry). Tourist visa only allows 60 day stay but you could extend for 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht and visit to an immigration office. You should plan to carry 10,000 baht on any border crossing and when you need new tourist visa it will be a several day process to obtain. Not a great way to live but doable (unless things change at some point). However you may have a problem getting a bank account or doing any other type of official thing with just a tourist visa.

• 3 weeks later...

We're thinking of doing something similar but 800,000 baht would be a significant hurdle. I notice the quote of:

"Evidence showing at least 800,000 baht in the bank account and Evidence of money transferred from overseas or evidence of income earnings."

From anyone's experience, does this mean that proof of income is enough?

In my specific case, I would be working in Hong Kong, and, if feasible, my wife and children would be staying in Thailand with the children in school.

We're thinking of doing something similar but 800,000 baht would be a significant hurdle. I notice the quote of:

"Evidence showing at least 800,000 baht in the bank account and Evidence of money transferred from overseas or evidence of income earnings."

From anyone's experience, does this mean that proof of income is enough?

In my specific case, I would be working in Hong Kong, and, if feasible, my wife and children would be staying in Thailand with the children in school.

AFAIK proof of income is never enough by itself for extensions but if combined with a local bank account it could probably become the bulk of the requirement. I would advise checking with immigration before making firm arrangements but suspect it would be doable.

Thanks....tell me, would it work if I came in on a Tourist Visa and then changed to a Non - O when I managed to get the money together?  I know that I would have to leave the country every three months, but as long as I'm not working, is there a problem with that set-up?

Thanks for any ideas....

Why not try for a 12 month multi enrty non imm o visa in your home country before you come here. You need to be on some type of Non Imm visa before you can get the yearly extensions . If you arrive on a tourist visa ( one you get from a thai consulate) you can convert it to a non imm type in Bangkok but this can be a hassle.

Why not try for a 12 month multi enrty non imm o visa in your home country before you come here. You need to be on some type of Non Imm visa before you can get the yearly extensions . If you arrive on a tourist visa ( one you get from a thai consulate) you can convert it to a non imm type in Bangkok but this can be a hassle.

The above mentioned visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for 90 days, then you will need to leave Thailand and return. You will then get another 90 Days. Simple matter if you are near a border crossing open to foreigners. Otherwise ther are normally minibus visa runs, 1 day in most cases.

Your location 'East of West' is not very enlightening. What country are you from?

Non O visa as with tourist visa needs to be obtained outside of Thailand