Toyota Hilux Vigo 4X4 D-Cab 3.0G

With my cheap chip now it's over 200hp, well, advertised, but it is a vast improvement.

Same here...but not so cheap chip...last dyno run 236bhp but has been tweaked a little after that B)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit when in a boy racer mode around the lake where l live, sometimes l get a <deleted> on my bumper, so, into 4x4 and floor it to the verbal abuse of the mrs, but it's great to see the wolly behind squirm on the bends and give up. Daft l know but good fun now and again. :D

Hopefully when the new Lux comes out in 2014 it'll be running the Prado drive train which should mean full time 4WD...just hope they put at least a 200bhp lump in it ;)

Lowest output for 3,0 D4d in Euro IV spec is 173hp/420Nm as I recall. Euro IV will be mandatory in LOS from january 2012, so expect this output or higher from October 2011.

Providing the 5 speed auto used in Europe at the same time, I guess its time for me to get a new one:)

Lowest output for 3,0 D4d in Euro IV spec is 173hp/420Nm as I recall. Euro IV will be mandatory in LOS from january 2012, so expect this output or higher from October 2011.

Providing the 5 speed auto used in Europe at the same time, I guess its time for me to get a new one:)

If you get a new Lux just slot in a genuine Toyota TTE chip and you'll have just over 200bhp and doesn’t effect the warranty ;)

I must admit when in a boy racer mode around the lake where l live, sometimes l get a <deleted> on my bumper, so, into 4x4 and floor it to the verbal abuse of the mrs, but it's great to see the wolly behind squirm on the bends and give up. Daft l know but good fun now and again. :D

Hopefully when the new Lux comes out in 2014 it'll be running the Prado drive train which should mean full time 4WD...just hope they put at least a 200bhp lump in it ;)

With my cheap chip now it's over 200hp, well, advertised, but it is a vast improvement.

When I took my vigo to Sukhothai Toyota today about my November 2005 auto 4x4 ECT i . :)

He said you can drive 4WD on highway and the the road to Maesot Ok but not to use in town. ;)

He also said it's fine to use when it's wet that's what the road 4WD gear is for, The low 4WD drive selection is for off road. :whistling:

I asked about chipping it up for more horses and said I would not be able to do that. :realangry:

I don't believe he would swear on his life what he told me was pucka, so more infro please chaps, Thanks. B)

PS. I would have to pay to get a English handbook. :bah:

I don't believe he would swear on his life what he told me was pucka, so more infro please chaps, Thanks. B)

Look at my topic ' Cheap Diesel Performance 'on the forum. :)

Thanks transam I will, sorry about the repeats, computer plays in the rain here.

When I took my vigo to Sukhothai Toyota today about my November 2005 auto 4x4 ECT i . :)

He said you can drive 4WD on highway and the the road to Maesot Ok but not to use in town. ;)

He also said it's fine to use when it's wet that's what the road 4WD gear is for, The low 4WD drive selection is for off road. :whistling:

I asked about chipping it up for more horses and said I would not be able to do that. :realangry:

Sorry, but he is wrong in all he said

4x4 as in Vigo and all LOS 4x4 pickups can only be used on slippery road. Wet paved roads will increase wear on transfercase in 4x4, and dry paved road will blow it in a couple of thousand km. Its simple, inexpensive, extremely reliable 4x4, but not for paved roads. Be also aware to not use wheels of different diameter, even 16" in same size but one worne out and one new, is sufficient to blow transfercase in few thou km. I believe the drivers sunscreen says something about it in English too. Its been a couple of decades since I read a handbook;)

Vigo 4x4, the more steering angle on frontwheels, the more pain on transfercase. Connecting and disconnecting 4x4 and even more 4x4low should be done with straight wheels, and 4x4low at standstill and neutral gear only.

On occasions 4x4low can be used on paved road to tow a few tons out of a ditch or similar. Position truck before engaging 4x4 to keep frontwheels straight to avoid pain in transfercase.

Fortuner has another transfercase with full time 4x4 to be used on all surfaces

D4d can be chipped to perform better, 3,0 from 163hp/343 NM up to 250hp/+500Nm by chips only. Have a look at "Cheap diesel performance" here in TV, 210 hp for 10k baht in LOS

I agree with katabeachbum's comments 100%...4WD is for wet/loose surfaces only.

My Vigo is 2005 and same model as yours...and is chipped (among other things) B)

Thanks for your input, I looked at the notice again on the back of the sunvisor to remind me, and it does say what you have writen.

KBB has also said not to use on wet paved surfaces so there should not be a forward slash between wet and loose I guess.

The other funny thing I noticed is, it's writen, " if I want to change from H4 to L4 you must depress the clutch.

So everyone out there with an auto vigo 4x4 you cannot use " L4 ".

Thanks for your input, I looked at the notice again on the back of the sunvisor to remind me, and it does say what you have writen.

KBB has also said not to use on wet paved surfaces so there should not be a forward slash between wet and loose I guess.

The other funny thing I noticed is, it's writen, " if I want to change from H4 to L4 you must depress the clutch.

manual, neutral and depress clutch (if gearoil is cold/frozen) not very often in LOS:)

auto, neutral

Edited by katabeachbum

Yeah...should have written slippery...as in 'slippery when wet' :rolleyes:

I'll remember not to use L4 from now on ;)

• 8 months later...

Hi Kata, you said not to use on wet paved road, but can we use it on rainning days on asphalt road? And should we come into a complete stop to engage 4x4 stick shift? There are some models where you can push a button while driving below 100km/hr. I have not driven one yet but intend to get a hilux 4x4 soon.

Hi Kata, you said not to use on wet paved road, but can we use it on rainning days on asphalt road? And should we come into a complete stop to engage 4x4 stick shift? There are some models where you can push a button while driving below 100km/hr. I have not driven one yet but intend to get a hilux 4x4 soon.

You can engage/disengage on the move up to 80KMH, no button, a manual shifter which is problem free as might be the case with a solenoid operated shift.

You can engage/disengage on the move up to 80KMH, no button, a manual shifter which is problem free as might be the case with a solenoid operated shift.

yepp

but with the VSC in my 2010 I never use it on paved roads, except for pulling someone out of a ditch

Hi transam, so for auto, below 80 while the vehicle still rolling, do I shift to N first before engaging 4x4?

No, when in motion take your foot off the gas, engage 4x4, foot on the gas. To disengage same thing, foot off the gas. This is to take the power off the gears, works a treat. :)

The "freebies" we got -

* One year insurance (First Class, but only to 80 percent of value - I'm told we can boost the coverage to 95 or 100 once we actually get our hands on the vehicle and policy)

* A discount of 15k on the deposit (which is 30 percent of the car price, in our case) - as far as I can tell this is actually a discount on the full price of the car.

* Floor mats

* Tinting for windows

* Rain shields for windows

* Bed liner

* Some sort of car perfume dispenser, (?) according to my GF who can read the list

* English manual in addition to the Thai manual

* 500 baht of diesel (yes only 5-hundred!)

The sales lady told us we were getting the rear big bumper "free" also, but actually that's standard on the G model. I've read some reports of what buyers managed to get, so I pressed her on a few things - like reverse sensors, nudge bars, and more diesel. The answer was no, no, and no.

Another thing - at one Toyota dealer out in a small town we were quoted 951k for the 4x4 4-door G model with standard paint, and 958K for "metallic" paint models - the silver, gold and blue. Ours is black, so we were probably ripped for about 7K at this stage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got all that in 2005 10 K deposit and waited 4months.:annoyed:

The floor mats were black rubber crap.:annoyed:

The tinted windows were done nicely but we couldn't use them for two days.:(

The rain shields were horrid and had them changed at at local accessory shop.:rolleyes:

The bed liner on the top model is standard as the rear bumper but is a spin for sales I guess.:blink:

I'm still waiting for my English manual.:lol: :lol:

The 500 baht token stop the reserve light flashing for a few kilos.:D

Cow bars and other accessories were all extra.:(

As for the black colour ours was was metallic called pearl black has got lots of coloured bits in it.:)

Enjoy, nice motors,

Edited by Kwasaki

OP, if your in my neck of the woods you can give my ride a blast round the block. :)

I didn't realize this was a rave from the grave but the new one has now moved on but if I had one I wouldn't think., I would still knock it into neutral, engage 4w at any speed if the road look dodgy.

Going to Maesot is bloody dodgy and I use to keep mine in 4w all the time in the mountain roads bugger the gear train.

• 1 year later...

Just posted the below in the Chiang Mae section by mistake:

Just had a quote of 982,000,00 Baht for the latest top of the range spec Vigo 4 x 4 from a dealer in Pattaya

delivery guaranteed within one month

Price ncludes

7000 Baht discount for white colour

10,000 discount for cash deal

Included in the price are;

mats

sun film

Max liner

Licence plate

NOT INCLUDED;

first class insurance.

Tax

Reg no plate

or any other goodies.

Do you think I can do any better by going to a dealer in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Thanks in anticipation

Just posted the below in the Chiang Mae section by mistake:

Just had a quote of 982,000,00 Baht for the latest top of the range spec Vigo 4 x 4 from a dealer in Pattaya

delivery guaranteed within one month

Price ncludes

7000 Baht discount for white colour

10,000 discount for cash deal

Included in the price are;

mats

sun film

Max liner

Licence plate

NOT INCLUDED;

first class insurance.

Tax

Reg no plate

or any other goodies.

Do you think I can do any better by going to a dealer in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Thanks in anticipation

Pattaya dealers (all brands) are notorious for offering the worst deals in Thailand - so yes, it's a gimme you'll get a better deal elsewhere.

For the model/grade you're looking at, you should expect free tabien rot, free 1st class insurance (1 year) and your pick of at least 5-6 items from the accessories list... The first two alone are worth more than double your cash discount, and the 7000 Baht 'discount' for white isn't a discount at all - white is simply cheaper.

• Like 1

update

after considering the negative feedback on Pattaya Toyota dealers I contacted some Bangkok ones and lo and behold.

Price for top of the range 4x4 auto Vigo Champ 982,000,00

plus 25K discount

plus liner

plus sun film

plus mats

plus 4 x door sun visors

No free insurance, this is only usually available when you buy on the HP (Im told)

availability they had one in stock of the colour we wanted

Enquiry Monday PM

Picked the truck up Tuesday 11.0am

Wed had all the goodies like rear cover, chrome bits , bull bar Etc Etc fitted at Boys air and sound on Sukhumvit road Pattaya.

Total cost for all the lot around 1, 050,00.00

I am informed that if I had gone to dealer of Body kits and the like in Bangkok I could have saved more dosh but the way that Boy treated us and gave us some discount made us feel that we should deal with them especially the shop only being down the road from us.

Thanks to IMHO for saving us around 15K and making us dig a bit deeper for the best deal

Edited by n210mp

The latest D4D comes with some more hp and Toyota have now gone for a 5 speed auto as well. Be interested to know if any significant difference from the old model.

I have heard some good reports on the 2.5L engine in the Vigo which I am considering as a next truck.

OP, if your in my neck of the woods you can give my ride a blast round the block. smile.gif

I didn't realize this was a rave from the grave but the new one has now moved on but if I had one I wouldn't think., I would still knock it into neutral, engage 4w at any speed if the road look dodgy.

Going to Maesot is bloody dodgy and I use to keep mine in 4w all the time in the mountain roads bugger the gear train.

Funny, because I went to Mae Sot with a 2WD, and did not have that much issues... Just need to slow down in the curves. wink.png

The latest D4D comes with some more hp and Toyota have now gone for a 5 speed auto as well. Be interested to know if any significant difference from the old model.

I have heard some good reports on the 2.5L engine in the Vigo which I am considering as a next truck.

Most of the praise for Toyota pickup engines is reserved for the 3.0L (1KD-FTV). The 2.5L (2KD-FTV) is a solid and reliable donk, but it's low on HP, has significantly more noticeable turbo lag and is noisier than the 3.0L, and is less fuel effecient than others in the class - hardly a standout like the 3.0L

The 5-speed AT along with some changes to the injectors improved fuel efficiency by about 4-5% in the 2011 Champ minor change, and performance increased very marginally with the extra cog and a few extra ponies, but overall not a significant improvement over the replaced 163HP/4AT combo. If you had a pre-Champ Hilux, you certainly wouldn't be 'upgrading' to the current version...

Most of the praise for Toyota pickup engines is reserved for the 3.0L (1KD-FTV). The 2.5L (2KD-FTV) is a solid and reliable donk, but it's low on HP, has significantly more noticeable turbo lag and is noisier than the 3.0L, and is less fuel effecient than others in the class - hardly a standout like the 3.0L

Did not the Hilux Double Cab 2.5G, have an up grade late last year?,

It now has the VNT, power and torque being 144 PS at 3,400 rpm and 343 Nm at 1,600 to 2,800 rpm.

That sound ok to me, not as good as the Triton VGS but I do'nt want a Mitsu.

My local dealer tells me that the 2.5L G Prerunner comes with an auto gear box, but not the same as in the 1KD-FTV. ie its 4 speed only.

Lucky for me that the dealer lets you have a test drive.

Did not the Hilux Double Cab 2.5G, have an up grade late last year?,

It now has the VNT, power and torque being 144 PS at 3,400 rpm and 343 Nm at 1,600 to 2,800 rpm.

That sound ok to me, not as good as the Triton VGS but I do'nt want a Mitsu.

My local dealer tells me that the 2.5L G Prerunner comes with an auto gear box, but not the same as in the 1KD-FTV. ie its 4 speed only.

Lucky for me that the dealer lets you have a test drive.

The 2.5L was upgraded with a VN turbo back in 2009. The Champ minor change was released in July 2011, which saw the 2.5L and 3.0L get new front styling, new injectors, and a suspension retune. In November 2012 the 3.0L got a 5AT option and a few more ponies, and AT was added as an option to the 2.5L.

There's been no notable changes since then except for some special edition models (50th Anniversary version and TRD Sportivo).

Nothing wrong with the 4AT, but don't expect it to be a barnstormer mated to the 2.5L.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...