Newbie Question About Hotels

cwang100

Got a question about hotel availability.

I'm going to Bangkok in 2 weeks (July 14th), staying for 10 days, and I was just thinking about going without booking a hotel first. Is that a good idea? My flight arrives in Bangkok at around 12 midnight. This is my first time to go to Thailand and I was wondering how easy or difficult it will be to find a hotel that late at night.

First of all, it seems that there are a lot of hotels in general. Am I correct in assuming that hotels will almost always have rooms available? Or is finding a vacancy an issue to be dealt with.

Secondly, I am concerned with the fact that I will be getting into the city so late. Maybe it's a stupid concern because of all the night life going on. But I have no idea.

I'm sorry in advance if this question sounds ridiculous to many of you who are more experienced. But, I'm really just completely new to everything about Thailand, so I honestly have no idea at all what the Bangkok is like.

Should I find a guesthouse? Is it OK to ask to see the room first? Or is that insulting to them. All I really want is somewhere with a/c, conveniently located that is safe and clean. Moderately priced is fine. I'd like to save money, but paying a tiny bit extra for a good value is something I would do. Breakfast would be nice but not necessary. I'd also like a "guest friendly" place.

Anyway, my main concern is really that if I get to Bangkok at 1:30am on a thursday, that I can find a good place to stay.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Calvin

Your post is completely ridiculous, not once have you addressed your main problem of getting from the airport to a bar which is still open and serving achohol in the early hours of the morning. It's a matter of priorities. :D

I understand your concerns about arriving in a city late at night and not having a hotel. I had a similar concern when I first come to Asia and flew into Bombay around midnight, I remember peering out the airplane window when descending on this huge mass of lights in the darkness and nervously asking the Indian girl next to me who I'd been chatting to "Is it safe down there?" :o

I think book a hotel before you get here maybe for a couple of nights beforehand so you can settle in, though I think there are a lot of internet booking hotel sites out there that have cheaper rates than the 'walk in' price so maybe just book for the whole 10 days. Its a short time to be here and it's just a bit of a day lost if you have to go round searching for and changing hotels, especially hungover. :D

Of course you want to be advised on the best hotel and if you let us know which area you want to stay in and your nightly budget then I'm sure the members here can recommend you a suitable place. :D

Wow, first visit to Bangkok, man, I feel jealous already, you'll have a great time. :D

I guess I'd like to stay around the Sukhumvit Area because it's near soi cowboy and nana plaza. A/C and a bed big enough for two are mandatory. :o Unless people have some opinions or a better suggestion about location. Basically, I'm going to experience some good "nightlife". In the daytime, maybe I'd go shopping or just observe the local life around there. I'm not into going to temples at all. Maybe I'd check out one or two. I like beaches but there aren't any beaches near bangkok right? Anyway, my budget is around 1000 baht.

Is it really cheaper to book on the internet? It seems that the prices that people talk about in forums is cheaper than

http://hotels.thaivisa.com

Is http://hotels.thaivisa.com a good place to book a reservation in terms of price?

I read this on bangkokbob's website.

-------------------

Business Inn

Sukhumvit Soi 11/1, cheap and cheerful with clean rooms from 600 Baht per night. Good travel agent in the lobby and rooms on both sides of the street. Good value and a great location, just by Nana BTS Skytrain.

--------------------

Does anyone have any opinions about Business Inn?

There doesn't seem to be a website for this one. Anyone know if I could just walk in a get a room late at night?

Also, is there a way to know without asking, which hotels allow girls in the room without an extra charge?

bkkmadness, thanks for your post. Jealous? Well, I hope I have a good time. Are you planning a trip any time soon?

I'm partial to Majestic suites, which you can book at the link previously recommended.

Although the rooms are small, the location is great, it's extremely clean and well kept. The beds are good, the bathroom very nice. And, on my last visit I noticed that they were putting ethernet connections in all the rooms.

Disadvantages are that it is tough for a taxi to stop there and the breakfast isn't that great. And, no pool, no view, no workout room.

On arrival it's best to have the taxi drop you on the north (Soi 3) side of Sukhumvit. On departure, walk over to Soi 4 to catch a cab.

For a little more money try the Ambassador on Soi 11. For a little bit more and a much, much nice hotel, try the Rembrandt on Soi 18.

bkkmadness, thanks for your post.  Jealous?  Well, I hope I have a good time.  Are you planning a trip any time soon?

Jealous of that first trip feeling, but not jealous of only 10 days in this country, believe me you'll need more once you get a taste for it. :D

Next big trip I'm planning it for the UK. :o:D

Edited by bkkmadness

Internet rates usually much cheaper for standard hotels.

And for standard hotels, do not email the hotel directly, you generally will not be offered their best rates.

I recommend booking your entire stay on the net so you don't have to think about it anymore.

For really low cost options like guesthouses, these are usually not booked through mass market hotel booking sites, but you can email them directly and book and get a rate committment.

Enjoy!

bkkmadness, now you've got me second guessing the length of my stay! 10 days is not enough? My god! What's going to happen to me there to make me like it that much! I really can't imagine right now.

I mean, I like "the ladies", but I figured 10 days of it would tire me out.

One of the reasons I didn't want to book online is because I'm living in Japan right now and it's a "cash based society". All my credit cards are U.S. cards and it's kind of a hassle to pay the bill because I'd have to transfer currencies which takes time and the fees to do so are high here.

So I was hoping to just go and do everything in cash.

Anyone have experience with the Manhattan Hotel?

It's got almost all good reviews and the location seems ideal, as it is close to mass transportation and nightlife.

Can't you pay online with one of your US credit cards?

It's hard for me to pay my credit card bill. All my money is in yen. My credit cards are from the states so I'd need to wire money to someone I know and ask him/her to pay my bill for me. OR something like that.

It's just a hassle

ah ok, I understand you now. Perhaps George (admin) can advise as thaivisa does hotel booking through this website or payment methods but I bet its credit cards all the way.

Maybe if you have good Japanese friends you could pay them the Yen and they could pay by their cards for you?

It's not a major problem finding a hotel at that time of night anyway so don't worry about it too much, but it would be a definate convenience.

ah ok, I understand you now.  Perhaps George (admin) can advise as thaivisa does hotel booking through this website or payment methods but I bet its credit cards all the way. 

Maybe if you have good Japanese friends you could pay them the Yen and they could pay by their cards for you?

It's not a major problem finding a hotel at that time of night anyway so don't worry about it too much, but it would be a definate convenience.

Well it's good to know that it's not hard to find a hotel at that time of night. I was just worried that the reception desks of the hotels would be closed at that time.

I'm wondering if it's cheaper to book over the internet as compared to the "walk-in" price. The manhattan hotel is quoted at 905 baht on this website. I could just book it for the whole 10 days and be done with it, but it's a risk because if I don't like it, I'm stuck with it the whole time.

If it's the same price for "walk-in" and there is a better than average chance that they have a vacancy, I'd much rather just "walk-in" without booking beforehand.

I'm also wondering if you book online, if the credit card is used just to hold the room and you can later pay the bill in cash. If that's the case, then it solves my currency exchange from yen to dollars dilema.

I think most hotels will have some rooms availble especially the budget end one, what does everybody else think, he should be fine to just get here and pick a hotel right? I haven't done it that way for many a year.

Just had a look at the manhattan, its got all good reviews, and in a great location for sukhumvit nightlife really, its not a far walk down to nana and that way and on the other side got asoke with soi cowboy if thats your thing.

You can draw cash advances direct from your credit card or bank cards at most ATM machines. Many places here also accept VISA and MasterCard.

Since you are looking for Nana action I won't bothering mentioning Shanti Lodge up near Koh San. Good value, great people, nice out of the way but not too out of the way location.

Nope. I won't mention that.

Or their phone number. Nope

66 2 281 2497 or 628 7626

37 Sri Ayuthya Road, Soi 16

Si Sou Tewet, Bangkok, Thailand

(Behind National Library)

Nope. I won't mention it at all.

:o

My God, your first time in Thailand? Which hotel? This is a no-brainer. Stay at the Nana Hotel. This is by far the most popular place with the tourist sexpat community and it's right across the street from Nana Plaza where all the bars are. You'll get a room for about 900-1100 Baht a night with a free breakfast buffet (which actually isnt bad). Also, if your a night person and you want to do stuff after the bars close, Nana Hotel has a disco inside that is open late. Every newbie to Thailand should experience Nana Hotel at least once!

Nana Hotel Website

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I won't book a hotel before I go.

It seems that it should be relatively easy to find a place to stay even late at night.

I guess I'll try Nana hotel or the Manhattan Hotel.

bkkmadness, I thought about what you said about 10 days being kind of short. I'm probably going to lenghthen my stay. Thanks for the advice

I think you're crazy to be looking for a room at that hour.

Book your first night at the Nana. Check in. Put your passport and extra cash and other valuables in the safe at the front desk. Spend some time enjoying the ambience.

Walk across the street and see if any of the places at Nana Plaza are still open. If so, check them out.

If not, walk around a bit. Again, enjoy the ambience.

Go back to the Nana and check out the disco.

Stay up all night. Have some beer and food at one of the many food stalls on the street.

Have fun.

Report back here.

I've stayed at the Manhattan before. Reasonable rooms with AC, hot water, TV etc. Pool is small and as the sun moves around in the day, this leaves half of it in shade.

The buffet breakfasts are excellent and they are guest friendly. If you want to stay there, I would recommend booking early as it is often full with tour groups. Location is spot on if you like Sukhumvit, halfway between both entertainment areas.