Television Is Killing Cinema - Thai Drivers Are Killing Themselves

webfact

STREET WISE

Television is killing cinema; drivers are killing themselves

By Achara Deboonme

The Nation

WHEN television was first introduced in the 1920s, many people feared its moving pictures would mark the death of sound-only radio.

Statistics show that in the US, production of TV sets skyrocketed by the middle of the century as consumers placed them top of their list of "must-have" items. In 1953, 7.3 million black-and-white TVs rolled off the production line.

And yet despite the fears, radio survived, growing side by side with TV. From the production of 1.3 million units in 1924, output rose to 13.36 million radios in 1953. Today, people are still listening to the radio, especially those on the move, even though the option of mobile TV is now available.

However, the threat that TV poses to movies is even greater.

After World War II, TV reached Japan. The famous Japanese crime novel series "Kindaichi" has documented how big-screen actors began fretting about their future as the small-screen craze gripped households.

Thai actors were lucky in that few of Thailand's consumers were wealthy enough to buy a TV set back then. Popular actors could still hold as many as 10 film contracts at a time, as cinemas sprang up, particularly in the provinces where overheads were low.

But these days the threat from TV is on the increase, thanks to an entertainment value that is no longer limited to soap operas and game shows. During the World Cup, for example, Major Cineplex Group - which controls 70 per cent of big screens nationwide - predicted that cinema ticket sales would fall by at least 10 per cent.

Another group with reasons to stay away from the cinema is bad drivers - at least in Phuket. While police in Hat Yai and Songkhla have opted to punish traffic law violators with a sermon at the local temple, police in Phuket are herding miscreants into a theatre.

Motorcyclists who fail to wear helmets are required to spend an hour attending a lecture on traffic rules and watching a film on gruesome road accidents.

Free movies are great, but most of us would prefer to choose what we want to see - and a flick about carnage on the roads isn't many people's idea of a good night out.

I guess the graphic scenes will kill their appetite for films for some time. And where else can they turn to for entertainment. Yes, it's definitely TV.

Cinema-owners should also be quaking at the craze for new-generation LCD TVs - LG Electronics (Thailand) sells about 35,000 units per month alone. Of course, many buyers will be replacing their old set, which will be destined for the junkyard.

So, while TVs might be killing the cinema, they are definitely killing the environment.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-16

I live in Chiang Mai. Major Cineplex does not go out of its way to announce there listings. I suppose they might have a ad in the Thai newspaper but for a farong the only sure way is to go to the theater and look at the listings they have posted there. They will have a show at one time Sunday and another time on Monday. This we expect on Wednesday and Thursday when they change shows.

I use the internet and there is days they do not post the times. They have yet to answer a phone call even though they say call this number. Many times the listing will be posted half way through the day. In short they carry on like they could care less abut the customer.

That being said Vista makes them look good. Half the time if I can find them they are in Thai only

Edited by jayjay0

the thing is the thai soap operas r so good and the movies they make these days so bad , why leave the house ?

Thai soaps are good? Sorry, they are appalling.Written BELOW the lowest common denominator of intellect. The reason is a substantial majority of Thais have never been to school, so never learnt to speak Thai.That means the language used has to be very simple Thai,In the area I live, C.Buriram, they cannot speak Thai.They speak, Suay, Khmer or Isarn. I speak Bangkok Thai, and find it extremely difficult to be understood.A lot of sign language does help!

Maybe the problem with the movies in Thailand is the government censorship and busybody nettling of old folks with yellow underwear that drive movie makers to only produce crap horror films.

• Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai. Major Cineplex does not go out of its way to announce there listings. I suppose they might have a ad in the Thai newspaper but for a farong the only sure way is to go to the theater and look at the listings they have posted there. They will have a show at one time Sunday and another time on Monday. This we expect on Wednesday and Thursday when they change shows.

I use the internet and there is days they do not post the times. They have yet to answer a phone call even though they say call this number. Many times the listing will be posted half way through the day. In short they carry on like they could care less abut the customer.

That being said Vista makes them look good. Half the time if I can find them they are in Thai only

Try using http://www.movieseer.com/th/index.aspx

What sort of article is this? If the writer hasnt noticed; Cinema and Television co-exist in unison and have been doing so since the early 50's. Thats a good 60 years! If TV hasnt destroyed cinema yet....it never will! Even with pirated DVD's flooding the market, cinema will still hold its ground. As long as ticket sales are reasonable, people will always go see motion pictures on the big screen, its the experience. And how do bad drivers come into it?...strange segue. What i would really like to see is a World class Thai film made without the clown whistles and boing spring sample effects, quite over that one.

I thought this article was an attempt to find a link between lower audience participation at the cinemas because police are now showing carnage movies to people that dont drive safely.

Maybe I am wrong but it does seem very Thai to attempt to make that link.

Just like the cigarette packets it will achieve nothing in the long term. it has been proven make fines more expensive. Attack the hip pocket if you want to deter people from breaking laws that are only there for revenue raising purposes anyway.

What sort of article is this? If the writer hasnt noticed; Cinema and Television co-exist in unison and have been doing so since the early 50's. Thats a good 60 years! If TV hasnt destroyed cinema yet....it never will! Even with pirated DVD's flooding the market, cinema will still hold its ground. As long as ticket sales are reasonable, people will always go see motion pictures on the big screen, its the experience. And how do bad drivers come into it?...strange segue. What i would really like to see is a World class Thai film made without the clown whistles and boing spring sample effects, quite over that one.

Try this- doesn't get the best reviews in the world, but no boings and some of the cinematography is nice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399725/

<br>What sort of article is this? If the writer hasnt noticed; Cinema and Television co-exist in unison and have been doing so since the early 50's. Thats a good 60 years! If TV hasnt destroyed cinema yet....it never will! Even with pirated DVD's flooding the market, cinema will still hold its ground. As long as ticket sales are reasonable, people will always go see motion pictures on the big screen, its the experience. And how do bad drivers come into it?...strange segue. What i would really like to see is a World class Thai film made without the clown whistles and boing spring sample effects, quite over that one.<br>
<br><br>I agree, what baffling load of disconnected nonsense that attempts make several points and fails to make even one.<br>

Maybe the problem with the movies in Thailand is the government censorship and busybody nettling of old folks with yellow underwear that drive movie makers to only produce crap horror films.

Hey I like those crap Thai made horror films :lol: , as they give me a great laugh with all the cheesy special effects. Missus can't understand why I laugh so much at them and go for a ride on the bike when she decides to watch her soaps :jap:

Edited by Garry

Have a look at http://www.movieseer.com/th/showtime.aspx - select 'showtimes' and then 'Chiang Mai' as your location and you'll get all the cinema showing times for both Major Cineplex at Central Airport Plaza, as well as Kad Suan Kaew. Hope this helps.

Enjoy & oh yes, ANYTHING (or even NOTHING) is better than having to watch a Thai 'soap'!!!!

I am still trying to figure out the point of the article. Is Khun Archara giving us a lesson in history about film? A fact that Thais could not afford TV sets when introduced? Film Actors could hold 10 contracts at any time? Major dropped 10% revenue due to the World Cup? Then we have traffic violators being made to watch resultant expectations if they do not follow the law - thus they will not return to cinemas? The finally a green issue on TV sets? &lt;deleted&gt;! Go back to doing crosswords or play with your plasticine as your journalistic skills are non existent.blink.gifunsure.gifermm.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

@jayjay0: I recommend a look at http://www.movieseer...h/showtime.aspx, they are usually up-to-date. Choose your location and the cinema in navigation bar and your are done. I use this page for Phuket (Central and Patong) all the time and was never disappointed.

Thanks for the link I used to use them but somehow They stopped working for me. Would not load Chiang Mai. Even then the reliability of getting listings was about 60%. I think it probably has more to do with the local management.

I have been using this one lately it is about the same for performance as the other one. The two major differences being on this one you can buy tickets on line but unlike the other one you can get no information about the movie. For myself I generally do not require info but my Thai wife does and yours was a God send as long as it worked.

http://onlineticket.majorcineplex.com/Vista/onlineticket/2008/index/login.php#banner2

the thing is the thai soap operas r so good and the movies they make these days so bad , why leave the house ?

The natives need to be entertained, otherwise they would be revolting

Thai soaps are that bad thus it took a few 100thousand red shirts to protest for weeks at ratchaprasong!

Thai soaps are good? Sorry, they are appalling.Written BELOW the lowest common denominator of intellect. The reason is a substantial majority of Thais have never been to school, so never learnt to speak Thai.That means the language used has to be very simple Thai,In the area I live, C.Buriram, they cannot speak Thai.They speak, Suay, Khmer or Isarn. I speak Bangkok Thai, and find it extremely difficult to be understood.A lot of sign language does help!

So you are saying a substantial majority-would that be 60%-maybe 70%? of thais have never been to school? You actually believe that? I am not saying thai schools are great, but most thai children attend at least through middle school. Maybe the poster saying soap operas r so good was being a bit sarcastic? Is it really about intellect? or language skills? I find I can have an intellectual conversation in my native language, but probably not so well in thai. Most(yes) Issarn people understand 2 languages and can be very intellectual in their first language, whereas a bangkok thai isnt so" intellectual " a couple hundred miles outside of bangkok, only understanding one language.

Try this- doesn't get the best reviews in the world, but no boings and some of the cinematography is nice.

Or this one, palme d'or at Cannes this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588895/

Mate you are dead right, they dont speak thai in Korat either.

Or this one, palme d'or at Cannes this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588895/

or this one, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1208717/

there are some good Thai movies in spite of an awful lot of cr*p ones

poor article though, randomly selected, tenuously linked;

Showing gruesome videos to people who fail to wear a crash helmet? Good idea, roll it out nationwide.

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out the point of the article. Is Khun Archara giving us a lesson in history about film? A fact that Thais could not afford TV sets when introduced? Film Actors could hold 10 contracts at any time? Major dropped 10% revenue due to the World Cup? Then we have traffic violators being made to watch resultant expectations if they do not follow the law - thus they will not return to cinemas? The finally a green issue on TV sets? &lt;deleted&gt;! Go back to doing crosswords or play with your plasticine as your journalistic skills are non existent.blink.gifunsure.gifermm.gif

Still trying to figure it out too. Writing for the sake of it?

Television is killing cinema; drivers are killing themselves

Incorrect.

The old fuddy duddies who censor movies are killing the cinema. Thai drivers have driven, are driving & will always drive like lunatics...until the police (government) decide to get serious about the national road toll.

But these days the threat from TV is on the increase, thanks to an entertainment value that is no longer limited to soap operas and game shows. During the World Cup, for example, Major Cineplex Group - which controls 70 per cent of big screens nationwide - predicted that cinema ticket sales would fall by at least 10 per cent.

I'm yet to see some diversity on Thai television. It's always the same old mindless twaddle for mindless people, which is purposely broadcast to keep the masses 'mindless'.

The 'world cup' doesn't happen every week/month so it doesn't count at all in the scheme of things.

So, while TVs might be killing the cinema, they are definitely killing the environment.

What a completely absurd statement!

Agree - an absurd comment! Better idea is to force ALL motorcyclists, when they get their licenses, and all those drivers of all vehicles, who get caught for reckless or drunk driving to watch those movies several times over - better to lose a few cinema sales that to lose more lives.

I remember those gruesome movies they made us watch as recruits in the army many years ago regarding the perils of unprotected sex - they sure had an impression on most of us. (Not that we were necessarily pure after that :rolleyes:) .

There was the story about one recruit that had been drafted into the army who got sick watching the movie, headed for the loo to upchuck, tripped and broke his leg - he got discharged almost immediately!

This article is : The end of the week positive "gesture from The Nation,to the public who see two days infront of stay home,go out or take a ride with the radio on :rolleyes: