Pattaya Still Good Value For Money

FarangBuddha

In planning my upcoming holiday excursion to our sister-city of Angeles City, it's interesting to note again the price comparisons between the two holiday destinations. For the sake of argument, I will assume the price of flight to either destination from wherever one would be coming from to be the more or less the same (prices for flights to Thailand and the Philippines from within Asia, Europe and North America are generally the same). As an aside, I did get a nice price from Thai Air of B 10k for my return ticket for later this month...this compares very favorably with the cheapest, Kuwait Air at B 8000k [and lousy times] and Cathay at B 12k [connect at KHG and thus flight 2x time]. I couldn't score any of Cebu Pacific's super-saver fare flights directly to Clark at around B 4k [lousy times {01:00 departures} but super cheap] and at around B 8k for regular fare the crappy time was not worth the savings.

Pattaya really shines when it comes to hotel selection and pricing. I have booked into my fav hotel in A/C...the Pacific Breeze. It's only a couple years old, has nice rooms and pool area, friendly and efficient staff, and is centrally located. The only problem is that the cheapest rooms are US$ 50 per nite and my slightly upgraded room is $ 60, with other rooms ranging up to around $100 per nite. A comperable room in size, location, and amenities in Pattaya could be had now for around B1000 (or around US$ 30) per nite. I am thinking about a hotel like the Sabai Express, Sabai Resort, Ibis, and many others around town. This is a typical price range for the newer hotels in Angeles City...and for cheaper rooms, you are looking at either very old properties with often window air-con units and dank bathrooms or newer guesthouse type establishments without pools. So Pattaya hotels, class for class, are 40-50 percent cheaper than those in Angeles. Over a relatively short stay, this would not add up to too much but for a stay of several weeks to a month, it does start to add up.

I use a regular driver I have know for years for my airport transfers between MNL and Angeles. His current rate for a new car and pick-up at the arrival terminal (not the public taxi pick-up area down the ramp) is US$ 55. This compares somewhat favorably with the B1500 rate to Pattaya from Swampy but the ride back to MNL is the same $ 55...where is Patts, it can be had for about $30 due to all the taxi returning to BKK from Pattaya fares.

Therefore, for the long-stay tourist seeking fun in the sun, Pattaya is still compelling value, with lots of extras on the side [like the beach, golf, scuba, go-karts, etc.] that should continue to keep it in good stead with the travelers looking for a value proposition in their upcoming holiday.

I will, however, enjoy my stay having great American breakfasts at Margairtaville [sorry Jimmy Buffet lawyers] and their great chimichanges and spicy-chicken burgers as well. The SM Mall is a great diversion as is the friendly bars and entertainers about town.

A notable Pattaya non-bash!

Thanks for the comparison FB. My buddies have just 'discovered' Pattaya and now plan on quarterly invasions to get it out of their systems. I told them I have been here since 1979 and still can't kick the habit so they are doom'd!

• 2 weeks later...