How Can I Record Live Radio Station Clips?

Trevor25222

Easy easy...Just Google for a freeware piece of software called "Free Sound Recorder"

Small, unobtrusive and easy to install... Records anything coming thru your computer's sound card, and allows you to set file format settings and such... Great for recording live radio clips...

Make sure you get the correct piece of software thru a reliable download source like CNET or similar... There may be other bogus or imitator programs out there with similar names...

That's an interesting suggestion....

The poster here is pointing you, assuming you're a Windows user, to a small program in Windows called "Sound Recorder" that's built into the Windows OS...

I didn't even mention that for a couple of reasons, since I and many others had long disregarded the program...

One reason was, in all versions of Windows prior to Vista, Sound Recorder would only record clips of up to 60 seconds in length at a time, and only record those clips as .wav files.

What I learned to my surprise, after seeing the post below, is that versions of Sound Recorder from Windows Vista onward now have that time limit removed.... But, now you can only save those files in one format, .wma, and only at one file rate, 96 kpbs.... Those are both pre-set in the program, and there's no option to change them.

Typically, Sound Recorder is meant to be used with a microphone as the recording source. But I just tested the program on my Windows laptop, and, assuming you have the correct settings in your Audio Mixer program, it recorded just fine with content coming thru my sound card (I was playing a podcast in ITunes), no microphone involved.

Still, given that Free Sound Recorder is free and allows you to save directly to MP3 files and has a variety of other options, it or similar programs would seem a better choice... And Sound Recorder is no choice if you're using any version of Windows XP or prior.

PS - Audacity is another great free program, and one that I and many others use for editing audio files... It has a tremendous number of options and vast capability, and almost is like having a sound studio on your computer.

While that capability is quite powerful, it also makes the interface of the program fairly complicated and involved. It certainly does do recording, but figuring out how to set it up to record what you want the way you want takes a bit of work, and configuring.

For a techie familiar with the program, no problem. For a casual user or non-techie, something a whole lot simply and aimed just a simple recording -- not complicated audio editing -- might prove a lot more satisfying.

check your menu programs > accessories > entertainment you may already have it installed.

Edited by jfchandler

DB, I'm looking at the CNET Downloads site for Total Recorder...

And what you don't seem to mention above is that this program is free to try (with some added noise every 60 seconds) and then $17.95 to buy....

It may be a perfectly good program, and seemed to get good user reviews on CNET...

But Free Sound Recorder is absolutely free, no trial, no noise, no limits...

How about a little truth in recommending here...

Edited by jfchandler

OP..

OK, this might sound a bit archaic but if you own a mini MP3 recorder you could always record direct by using a double headed mono plug cable via the PC headphone output into the MP3.

I guess i am a bit of and old fuddy duddy so i suspect not many people would do this..but for the technologically challenged such as myself it seems a quick and easy process.

I can use it on ALL applications without bothering about restrictions or having to add programs/software, and then edit/burn to disc or wherever as desired.

Its particulary handy in my case when recording thai language soundbites from the net for easy use while out and about. ;)

And what you don't seem to mention above is that this program is free to try (with some added noise every 60 seconds) and then $17.95 to buy....

It may be a perfectly good program, and seemed to get good user reviews on CNET...

There was no mention in op of requirement for free software. I was just stating that the program is very commendable. I am not associated with it in any way. I haven't even bought it myself as it is easily found on p2p sites to test out freely - maybe you should try that instead of CNET(?). Sorry for any confusion.

(OP) My Windows xp did have a 60-second sound-record facility under accessories. Too short for any practical use; hard to understand why they bothered to add it.

I installed 'Free Sound Recorder' from one of the communal download sites. It saved a 58-second sound clip as a 900 kb mp3 file. Source was a live radio station broadcast via Real Player.

BUT whenever I play it – via Window Media Player / Real Player / Quick Time – no sound comes out! Normally these players work fine. Could I be missing a codec? Tucows has a long list of sound recorders … are any of these worthwhile, and free?

Trevor...it could be a couple things....

Almost certainly, your computer is set up to play .mp3 files... I doubt you'd need any additional codecs to achieve that...

My guess would be either:

1. You haven't set the correct recording source in the Free Recorder program, ie. to tell the program to look to your sound card as its recording source.

or

2. you may not have your audio properties configured properly under Windows.

One way to check is to play your .mp3 file on any program that shows you volume level meters... If you see the meter levels rising and falling as the audio plays, then clearly there's sound there in the file.

On the other hand, if the meter levels stay flatline as you play the file. It could mean you recorded an X minute .mp3 file but the recording program was monitoring some source other than where your sound was coming from.

As I recall, when I set up Free Recorder, there were some instructions with the program, in the read me or help sections, that I had to follow in order to get it to properly function with my sound card.

Also, if you can play other .mp3 files and get sound from them, then obviously your PC's playback capability is OK. That then would point back to the sound card-recording source issue as the likely cause.

If you don't get sound from other .mp3s also, then that's a different problem re your Windows audio settings.

If you open the Free Recorder program, on the main program window in the upper right corner, there is a link that says "HELP" that will take you to their program help files, which have info about setting the correct setup settings.

There was no mention in op of requirement for free software. I was just stating that the program is very commendable. I am not associated with it in any way. I haven't even bought it myself as it is easily found on p2p sites to test out freely - maybe you should try that instead of CNET(?). Sorry for any confusion.

I would never recommend anyone download software from P2P site's for 'testing' purposes. P2P sites are notorious for the spreading of Mal-ware!

(OP) My Windows xp did have a 60-second sound-record facility under accessories. Too short for any practical use; hard to understand why they bothered to add it.

I installed 'Free Sound Recorder' from one of the communal download sites. It saved a 58-second sound clip as a 900 kb mp3 file. Source was a live radio station broadcast via Real Player.

BUT whenever I play it – via Window Media Player / Real Player / Quick Time – no sound comes out! Normally these players work fine. Could I be missing a codec? Tucows has a long list of sound recorders … are any of these worthwhile, and free?

I have one computer that has exactly the same problem, an HP with integrated audio. I am unable to get any sound when recording directly from the internal audio source. The only input sources that work are either of the two mic jacks or the audio in jack. My only solution was using a stereo line, with the male plug on both ends, and use it as a jumper from audio out to audio in. I've been able to recorded directly from the integrated audio with many other computers, only not with this one. Go figure!

I would never recommend anyone download software from P2P site's for 'testing' purposes. P2P sites are notorious for the spreading of Mal-ware!

Agreed. If one doesn't understand p2p sites, stay away or get burned.

I have a two-year-old HP desktop as well with integrated Realtek audio. And, out of the box, it had the same issue as yours...

However, the problem should be able to be solved by changing the default settings on your "Sounds" setup within Windows Control Panel.

I searched it and found the solution some time ago. As best as I recall, it involved enabling your Realtek audio/Stereo Mix under the "Recording" tab, and setting the Stereo Mix or Mixer as your default device for recording in that same "Recording" tab.

Now when I run Free Sound Recorder or any similar recording program, the monitored/sampled sound source automatically becomes whatever audio is coming thru my sound card.

While you're at in, it would be a good idea to first go to the HP support web site for your particular model and download and install the latest version of the Realtek audio drivers (assuming that's the audio setup your HP is using). Realtek's own web site has even later/more recent drivers, though last I checked they weren't customized for HPs...but still worked fine.

I have one computer that has exactly the same problem, an HP with integrated audio. I am unable to get any sound when recording directly from the internal audio source. The only input sources that work are either of the two mic jacks or the audio in jack. My only solution was using a stereo line, with the male plug on both ends, and use it as a jumper from audio out to audio in. I've been able to recorded directly from the integrated audio with many other computers, only not with this one. Go figure!

Yep, it's also a 2 year old HP desktop, with the Realtek ALC 888 chipset. But I've just about completely switched over to Ubuntu, and I still have exactly the same issues. So far no joy in fixing it.

If the OP is still having problems, it may be of interest that he can record direct from the VLC media player without any problems. And there is a Firefox add on called VLC context menu, where he can just right click on the file and add it to his VLC playlist.

I have a two-year-old HP desktop as well with integrated Realtek audio. And, out of the box, it had the same issue as yours...

However, the problem should be able to be solved by changing the default settings on your "Sounds" setup within Windows Control Panel.

I searched it and found the solution some time ago. As best as I recall, it involved enabling your Realtek audio/Stereo Mix under the "Recording" tab, and setting the Stereo Mix or Mixer as your default device for recording in that same "Recording" tab.

Now when I run Free Sound Recorder or any similar recording program, the monitored/sampled sound source automatically becomes whatever audio is coming thru my sound card.

While you're at in, it would be a good idea to first go to the HP support web site for your particular model and download and install the latest version of the Realtek audio drivers (assuming that's the audio setup your HP is using). Realtek's own web site has even later/more recent drivers, though last I checked they weren't customized for HPs...but still worked fine.

If you make the changes I described above in post #17, it should take care of the issue for a Windows operating system...

If you're trying to do it in Ubuntu, I wouldn't be able to offer any guidance....

Yep, it's also a 2 year old HP desktop, with the Realtek ALC 888 chipset. But I've just about completely switched over to Ubuntu, and I still have exactly the same issues. So far no joy in fixing it.

If the OP is still having problems, it may be of interest that he can record direct from the VLC media player without any problems. And there is a Firefox add on called VLC context menu, where he can just right click on the file and add it to his VLC playlist.