Parcel From Bkk To San Francisco

iyah

Hi,

The search function doesn't seem to be working, at least from my computer right now. I'm trying to get some info on parcel costs from bkk to usa (san fran). We will be moving there soon and would like to send valuables that we can't fit in our suitcases. Not sure yet exactly how much, but less than 1 cubic meter , maybe around 30 kgs in weight. I'm not too concerned about how long it takes to get there but I'm willing to pay a premium to make sure it does get there (insurance or tracking system). Nevertheless, I would like to keep costs down to a few thousand baht. Can anyone be kind enough to give me some info. on what my options are? Thanks

Edited by iyah

Use the Post Office's EMS service. In my experience the most dependable between UPS, FedEx and Postal services. They have tracking mechanism and it works seamlessly with U.S. Post office Express Mail Service.

You can Google it for rates. We use the Cha Am Post Office, small and not crowded like Hua Hin.

Thanks for the replies so far, but again, I was hoping that there was somekind of way to send my stuff in a less costly way (by sea and not by air). I definately don't need it to be delivered express. EMS is fast, but quiet expensive (1000 baht per kilo or so from what i gathered)..any other suggestions??

There is really no such thing as sea freight less than 1 cubic meter. That is the smallest increment there is, and what you'll want is an LCL shipment. You will need someone to package it in a wooden crate and send it. From BKK to San Francisco you're probably looking at about $400 USD all told.

EMS is easier and faster, and will probably set you back around 20,000 baht.

My opinion is that you're best option is to try and send it counter to counter via the cargo option on the airline you are flying. They often have special rates for passengers with excess baggage, and I would guess that you could probably get 30kg for somewhere around $300. I haven't done this in over a decade though, so my prices could be way out of date. But I would definitely start by calling the airline and asking them.

30kg and less than 1 cube is simply not going to be practical to send by sea.

If they are truly unimportant items you don't care about losing, you can send the "surface mail". This is a very cheap option from the post office, and it will take about 6 weeks to get to San Francisco. Under 10,000 baht for sure, and delivered to your doorstep. I used to send about half that weight to the states for around 2500 baht. But no tracking and no insurance.

Thanks Soundman. Tried to get an estimation earlier by entering those numbers, without success. Thought that it was because 30000 was just too big of a number. Apparently not. 4610 baht is reasonable. Cool.