Buddha Holiday 26Th And 27Th July

26th defintely dry as mandatory no alcohol consumption. All outlets closed. If you lived in District 6 where election is on 25th, double whammy. 27 not a national holiday so no laws against selling & drinking<EM>. Is that about right?  </EM>

26th defintely dry as mandatory no alcohol consumption. All outlets closed. If you lived in District 6 where election is on 25th, double whammy. 27 not a national holiday so no laws against selling & drinking<EM>. Is that about right?  </EM>

This is the Islands forum.

They have a by-election in Bangkok in District 6 and will have the weekend dry also. :lol:

i think these ones are just public bank holidays...

i thought they had stopped all these shuttting of bars for buddha holidays? well except for major ones

Asarnha Bucha Day marks the first sermon of Buddha.

As such it is one of the three most important Buddhist holidays on the calender, the other two being Visakha Bucha day and Makha Bucha Day.

To be honest. bar closing dates seem to change every year. What I normally do is nip down the cop shop and ask.... Up to them. then. They can't hassle me for being open If I have permission.....

And it also means what you mean by "closedf". When we are "closed", we have no music and no lights. But girls, girls, girls..... And booze in the back aircon rooms:whistling:

They have alawys closed Farang bars in the past, only place to get a beer is down little side roads where bars and mom and pop stores wil be open for local Thais, all Buddist of course, one such place was next to my house in old monkey theatre road.. never understood why they drank on relious holidays but they certainly made the most of there holidays

Last year i was in a bar in Bangrak & the police came round & told him to close. Respect Buddha they said.

So he closed the bar, at a loose end my girlfriend said let's go to the Temple Fair ar Bophut Traffic Lights.

So off we went when we walked in i couldn't beleive my eyes there was the same Policemen drinking at a

Singha Beer stand inside the Temple.

Last year i was in a bar in Bangrak & the police came round & told him to close. Respect Buddha they said.

So he closed the bar, at a loose end my girlfriend said let's go to the Temple Fair ar Bophut Traffic Lights.

So off we went when we walked in i couldn't beleive my eyes there was the same Policemen drinking at a

..........and that, sums it all up...... :rolleyes: Why am i not remotely suprised.

..........and that, sums it all up...... :rolleyes: Why am i not remotely suprised.

LOL Another example of Thai double standards my god. Not in the least surprised... You should've walked up to him with a big smile and say 'Respect Buddha'

LOL Another example of Thai double standards my god. Not in the least surprised... You should've walked up to him with a big smile and say 'Respect Buddha'

Much ado about nothing as usual.....just walk down the beach and order a few beers.....same old every Buddha day......!

utterly shocking !!!! not really sure if i can believe what ive just read.

just goes to show you ehh!! the rascal

To be honest. bar closing dates seem to change every year.

Well, not really. The lunar calendar is not a mystery.

What I normally do is nip down the cop shop and ask.... Up to them. then. They can't hassle me for being open If I have permission.....

So if the police say it is acceptable to sell and consume alcohol on a Buddhist day in which this is prohibited, it's fine for you. So you are letting the local Thai law enforcement determine your interpretation of the law as it pertains to judicial matters as well as the proscription according to Buddhist tenet?

And it also means what you mean by "closed". When we are "closed", we have no music and no lights. But girls, girls, girls.....

Wow! How very culturally sensitive you are. Lucky the Buddhists are so cool...try thumbing your nose at this sort of thing in the Muslim world.

And booze in the back aircon rooms:whistling:

I don't get it; you seem to take pleasure in defaming the national Buddhist holiday. It's a national day for Christ sake! Get with the program and stop lording over how easy it is to trample the cultural conventions of the country to satisfy the holiday ignoramuses and the long-stay, ping-pong sodden "tourists."

Can the bar stay off the piss for a single day and night? Are things that tight that you can't lose a day's income over this? I know I have heard this line in years past. But come on. ...

If this doesn't take the cake when it comes to lording it over the locals, I don't know what does.

Think about it.

To Tracer round, I can't quote your post unfortunately;

First of all, imho the whole no-alcohol idea is completely missing the point by whomever instated this rule, if people, both Thai and foreigners want to drink, they can fairly easily find it (just sit down in a restaurant for instance) and secondly, it's not the Eagle on his own who's trampling on the rules, it's the whole bloody scene he works in and much more. get with the program Tracer, no need to single one person out here, it's better to get to the root of the problem.

To Tracer round, I can't quote your post unfortunately;

First of all, imho the whole no-alcohol idea is completely missing the point by whomever instated this rule, if people, both Thai and foreigners want to drink, they can fairly easily find it (just sit down in a restaurant for instance) and secondly, it's not the Eagle on his own who's trampling on the rules, it's the whole bloody scene he works in and much more. get with the program Tracer, no need to single one person out here, it's better to get to the root of the problem.

Agree with you 100% Limbos. To single out one person about this is the silliest thing I have seen or read.Is this a personal vendetta? Tracer round just have a look at the whole islands, tourist & bar scene all over Thailand, you must have your head burried in the sand, or you re really so far xxxxxx to make comments such at these.

Edited by Rooo
Flames removed.Rooo.

It seems i can't quote you either Tracer Round but i have give your comments some thought.

Basically they are ill thought out, naive and frankly some of the comments rather "silly."

Anyway, enjoy the holiday. :D

it's not the Eagle on his own who's trampling on the rules, it's the whole bloody scene he works in and much more. get with the program Tracer, no need to single one person out here, it's better to get to the root of the problem.

I knew someone would say this.

It's like saying that because many people shoplift from 7-11, it's okay for you to do this. What an infantile train of thought.

Screamingeagle said:

When we are "closed", we have no music and no lights. But girls, girls, girls..... And booze in the back aircon rooms...

As SBK pointed out, this was one of the most important religious observations on the Thai calendar. I was not singling out Screamingeagle -- he offered his post, I replied. He made himself an example.

I can't believe that anyone can defend someone posting that in spite of the national observance of a major Buddhist date in which alcohol is not to be served, it is acceptable not only to serve "booze," but to offer prostitutes as well.

If my thoughts are "ill thought out, naive and frankly some of the comments rather "silly," to someone like Carmine, then that's up to him/her. However, it seems to me that as guesst in this country, we foreigners ought to at the very least show a modicum of respect for the people's several religious observance days.

Why would you want to open your bar on such a day? Greed? Moral turpitude? Ignorance? Or just a general sense of, "Who cares? It's just some Buddhist BS anyway"? You may be gaining a small bit of income, but at the same time perpetuating the idea to locals that foreigners are barbarians with little or no respect for Thai culture. Just because someone else breaks the prohibition (Thai or otherwise) does not absolve you from your moral duty in your host country.

So in the end, it's a day of national religious observance; is it asking too much of the foreign guests here to show some respect and not serve alcohol and run prostitutes during such days?

it's not the Eagle on his own who's trampling on the rules, it's the whole bloody scene he works in and much more. get with the program Tracer, no need to single one person out here, it's better to get to the root of the problem.

It's like saying that because many people shoplift from 7-11, it's okay for you to do this. What an infantile train of thought.

Screamingeagle said:

When we are "closed", we have no music and no lights. But girls, girls, girls..... And booze in the back aircon rooms...

As SBK pointed out, this was one of the most important religious observations on the Thai calendar. I was not singling out Screamingeagle -- he offered his post, I replied. He made himself an example.

I can't believe that anyone can defend someone posting that in spite of the national observance of a major Buddhist date in which alcohol is not to be served, it is acceptable not only to serve "booze," but to offer prostitutes as well.

If my thoughts are "ill thought out, naive and frankly some of the comments rather "silly," to someone like Carmine, then that's up to him/her. However, it seems to me that as guesst in this country, we foreigners ought to at the very least show a modicum of respect for the people's several religious observance days.

Why would you want to open your bar on such a day? Greed? Moral turpitude? Ignorance? Or just a general sense of, "Who cares? It's just some Buddhist BS anyway"? You may be gaining a small bit of income, but at the same time perpetuating the idea to locals that foreigners are barbarians with little or no respect for Thai culture. Just because someone else breaks the prohibition (Thai or otherwise) does not absolve you from your moral duty in your host country.

So in the end, it's a day of national religious observance; is it asking too much of the foreign guests here to show some respect and not serve alcohol and run prostitutes during such days?

This is all perfectly reasonable in a 100% Buddhist island. Yet Samui has different faiths people from all nationalities living working and holidaying on the island. All of these people should at least to some extent be considered when making rulings regarding religious observance regardless of the faith.

Showing respect to a majority of the population who wish to observe these days is fine in my view but a more tolerant approach by the authorities should be expected coupled with quietening of the bar scene without preventing people enjoying a beer or two.

Prohibition never worked anyway.

Screamingeagle said:

Good grief, you are a blinkered prude, aren't you. Tracer Round. I think you'll find most of the bars that were open are owned by Thais. A majority of Thais ignore the drinking ban. If you want to follow the religious observance, then do so. But don't force it on anyone else of different or no religious faith. What are we gonna have the Religious Observance Police who go round beating those with alcohol on their breaths?????

What are we gonna have the Religious Observance Police who go round beating those with alcohol on their breaths?????

Its a great idea...and for non religious days....

Send the girls out in skimpy cop uniforms .....'Why you no drink? You bad falang!'...<WHACK>......:D