Aua Thai Reading & Writing

uptheos

Several years ago I took AUA's reading and writing course, which I thought was very good.

I want to recommend to my friend that he takes the same course, but I can't remember the name of the lady that taught us.

I recall that she could be rather 'sharp' and didn't tolerate fools gladly, but she was excellent at what she did.

Does anyone here know her name (if you know who I mean) or if she's even still at AUA?

I've recommended Khun Boonmark for the speaking part.....but darned if I can remember her name....duh

I'm sure it will click when I hear it :huh:

malee or oranute.

Oranute that's the one!

How is Malee?

Cheers :)

Please reconsider recommending Oranute to your friend. The same quality instruction is available at YMCA and other schools without the humiliation, abuse, and baiting. Oranute has knowledge but is not a teacher.

malee or oranute.

Oranute that's the one!

How is Malee?

Please reconsider recommending Oranute to your friend. The same quality instruction is available at YMCA and other schools without the humiliation, abuse, and baiting. Oranute has knowledge but is not a teacher.

As I said at the start, I thought she could be quite sharp, but I survived her and I know for sure my friend will.

He's into that sort of thing. :whistling:

Who would you recommend and why?

[Please reconsider recommending Oranute to your friend. The same quality instruction is available at YMCA and other schools without the humiliation, abuse, and baiting. Oranute has knowledge but is not a teacher.

As I said at the start, I thought she could be quite sharp, but I survived her and I know for sure my friend will.

He's into that sort of thing. :whistling:

Who would you recommend and why?

If you feel strongly about attending AUA, check with the woman who supervises the teachers, and who has her office in the registration building. Sorry, I can't remember her name. She often teaches the same course along with malee and oranute {horses neigh}. She may clue you in to who will likely teach the next reading/writing classes. I took class one at AUA and transferred to YMCA for their class 2 and 3. The teachers there are smart, dedicated, and encouraging of those who stumble on tones and pronounciation. The difference was like night and day. I think your friend will enjoy any class where a real teacher does her job well.

If you feel strongly about attending AUA, check with the woman who supervises the teachers, and who has her office in the registration building. Sorry, I can't remember her name. She often teaches the same course along with malee and oranute {horses neigh}. She may clue you in to who will likely teach the next reading/writing classes. I took class one at AUA and transferred to YMCA for their class 2 and 3. The teachers there are smart, dedicated, and encouraging of those who stumble on tones and pronounciation. The difference was like night and day. I think your friend will enjoy any class where a real teacher does her job well.

Neung is her name - she's very helpful.

I've been taking various Thai language classes at the YMCA for about 18 months. Often in the higher level classes, we've been joined by "new" students who are refugees from the AUA. They want to continue to learn Thai but have been driven out of the AUA by their experience with Oranute. I've heard them encouraging each other to continue their studies, saying "just think of it as showing Oranute that you really can learn Thai." Some of them still use the AUA library for doing homework because of the resource books there and in the secret hope that Oranute will see that they're still studying Thai. In general, it's been my observation that Oranute has helped to build the Thai language program at the YMCA by driving people away from the AUA.

I've been taking various Thai language classes at the YMCA for about 18 months. Often in the higher level classes, we've been joined by "new" students who are refugees from the AUA. They want to continue to learn Thai but have been driven out of the AUA by their experience with Oranute. I've heard them encouraging each other to continue their studies, saying "just think of it as showing Oranute that you really can learn Thai." Some of them still use the AUA library for doing homework because of the resource books there and in the secret hope that Oranute will see that they're still studying Thai. In general, it's been my observation that Oranute has helped to build the Thai language program at the YMCA by driving people away from the AUA.

OK, again I said at the start that I knew she was 'sharp' but my experience is from several years ago.

From what posters are saying, it sounds very much like Oranute's person skills have gone downhill.

Thanks guys, I will pass on the feedback for sure :) .

In the last 2 years I have had at least one class with every Thai language teacher at AUA, and of all of them, Oranute was my favorite. She's very strict, yes, but an outstanding teacher who did more to improve my Thai in the 6 weeks I had with her than any other teacher. Most of the other advanced students I've spoken with who have had her for Advanced R/W agree with me.

If you're looking for a nice, cuddly teacher to be buddies with she's not the one, but if you're just trying to seriously study you can't beat Oranute.

I'm sure some people won't agree, but that's my two cents.

Edited by HTWoodson

In the last 2 years I have had at least one class with every Thai language teacher at AUA, and of all of them, Oranute was my favorite. She's very strict, yes, but an outstanding teacher who did more to improve my Thai in the 6 weeks I had with her than any other teacher. Most of the other advanced students I've spoken with who have had her for Advanced R/W agree with me.

If you're looking for a nice, cuddly teacher to be buddies with she's not the one, but if you're just trying to seriously study you can't beat Oranute.

I'm sure some people won't agree, but that's my two cents.

Despite being strict, I actually found her to be really good though I do recall one or two cutting remarks, but not to me....maybe as the senior in the class she decided to give me a break?

I think as far as my friend is concerned all I can do is tell him about my personal experience with Oranute and show him the responses here. After which, he can choose to go where he likes.

Thanks for the input :)

Wow, after reading the postings from HT Woodsen and daoyai I almost want to sign up at the AUA for Oranute to whip my Thai pronouncation into shape. After 18 months of classes at the YMCA, that's definitiely my weakest area. I can read Thai well enough that I can turn the sound down for English-language movies on WE TV and just follow along with the Thai subtitles, but I still can't communicate my destinations with every song thaew driver.

So, I guess it's really a matter of whether you want a program that meets five days a week or one that meets three times weekly. For me, I like having a few "days off" during the week. Others may want to focus on learning Thai as their primary goal.