From 2 To 16Mp In 5 Minutes A "True" Story!

TravelerEastWest

From 2 to 16mp in 5 minutes a "True" story! (Pun intended)

A while ago my True 12/1mp service got really bad.

So I upgraded to 16/1 no improvement.

I complained to True and they sent a tech to visit.

He looked at my setup - lots of wires - and added a splitter to my UPS connection and upgraded my modem freeware.

My connection is now 16/1 in Thailand and 15/ .5 outside of Thailand.

I am happy!

Note magnetic fields was the problem

I have also experienced True claiming better speeds with "new firmware".

It's fake.

It's a bold claim, but I have done extensive testing after their firmware upgrade showing my ADSL physical connection (not speedtest) upload speed going from ~890 kbps to 1240 kbps after "upgrade". A big 50% improvement... or not?

Sadly, doing a little network testing and using semi-professional hardware, I found out that the "upgrade" was simply a patch to show the ADSL connection speed as fixed output value (eg. no matter how good or bad my line is, the adsl modem will always show "Connected at 1240 kbps").

A simple way of testing this is to use old and rusty phone cables to connect to the modem. Basically, cables that sort of work but create so much background noise it's unusable.

Verifying that the cable is indeed of poor quality I simply switched to another modem and compared connection speeds.

With the other modem and bad cable I get anything from 200 kbps to 400 kbps upload speed connection. With a good cable I get about 889-892 kbps.

With the True supplied modem and "upgraded firmware" no matter what cable, or line quality I have, it ALWAYS states "Connected at 1240 kbps". But of course with a bad cable the real world tests show grossly diminished speeds.

True is doing everything they can, apparently, to cheat and steal from users. Most of the time they get away with it, sadly. I talked to them and they agreed that I should only pay for the 512 kbps upload package (standard), but they would "unlock" the upload to maximum, free of charge.

To the OP..... magnetic fields of WHAT were the supposed problem???

And according to who??? I've never heard that as a story re connection speeds.

You also should be wary of a couple of speed test sites (including Speedtest.net) that True points its customers to...since those sites show international connection speeds that are grossly inaccurate...and in all probability...are measuring local connections but reporting those as international ones.

Edited by jfchandler

To the OP..... magnetic fields of WHAT were the supposed problem???

And according to who??? I've never heard that as a story re connection speeds.

You also should be wary of a couple of speed test sites (including Speedtest.net) that True points its customers to...since those sites show international connection speeds that are grossly inaccurate...and in all probability...are measuring local connections but reporting those as international ones.

It is very common that the return path of AC consumers goes somewhere else than through the intended neutral. The return path should always be following the same path as the phase so that the magnetic fields cancel each other out.

I have measured 10-20 A in an air pipe where i work and we had sparks coming from an alu structure that carried the ceiling. The magnetic field from the conditions described caused us problems with test equipment in our production and I can understand if a condition like that can slow down an internet connection dramatically. That's one of the reasons why you should use a http://en.wikipedia....-current_device

If it trips you have a problem.

Having said that...you should never let anybody else change the firmware in your router... If there are updates you can do it yourself.

Martin

The claim by the True tech was that the Leonix brand UPS was the problem with its magnetic fields.

He said that he had seen it often and seemed a notch above the typical True technician.

He added a splitter (internet and telepnone) and all seemed well at least in terms of the speedtest in Thailand and overseas. So far my real-life testing is working well. My VOIP phone works much better and my internet connection is also better.

But I went to the True office regarding my upcoming move and they had terrible customer service very frustrating.

So I think that I will cancel True and get 3B instead with a static IP. The static IP is for my email as at times using a dynamic IP I have problems with spam - as in others think I am a spammer. If I find 3B below True in service I can always switch back.

Funny, I have been having many problems with my True internet the last couple months, lots of dropouts, and have had the repair guys over here many times. Finally, I was rummaging through a box of old electronics and found a few splitter boxes, and figured to install them. Oila, things were fine. Don't know why the True guys never noticed that I didn't have splitters......

Speaking of True firmware, has anyone had any luck having them flash the Billion Sky modem so it doesn't redirect to the True homepage? I fought with them months ago about it and I failed. Did they ever come up with a solution other than telling you to buy your own modem? They claim that only the manufacturer can flash this modem. Others on here claimed that you can flash it yourself but the "how-to explanation" was a little too techy for me.