Liveaboard Boat

marcgee

Could I have any and all info on liveaboard boats in south T.L.

I have lived this way in Toronto Canada and miss it .I had a 15 by 41/2 meter 2 story houseboat .

What I'd like to know are the possibilities and locations

I'm thinking maybe around 14meters and a fix up is no problem

regards

marcgee

Sounds interesting, but I am not sure it is a suitable solution here in Thailand. Surely there is a huge difference between the Great Lakes of Canada and the seas and oceans around Thailand ? Hopefully we are not going to have another Tsunami for a while, but I doubt if any houseboats survived the last one.

Of course there are marinas here, and there are plenty of exotic Yachts, but from observation there are few other suitable locations for a live-aboard life. There are large inland lakes with houseboats though, for example beyond Kanchanburi on the way to Burma. There are also large bodies of water in Songkla in the South, but from personal experiences there the waters are not always placcid, to say the least.

A large ex-fishing trawler, such as the ones here in Phuket would certainly make an interesting conversion, if you could ever get rid of the smell.

If I can be of any assistance please send a PM, I live in Phuket and was a 'hobby' seafarer myself in my younger days. Good luck with your project.

Edited by AjarnChan

wow....Don't know how you survived the ice in winter in TO..lol

Anyways I would think your best option would be a converted/unconverted boat, especially here, lots of nice marinas and you can take your "house" with you to the many great anchorages around Pang Na etc. The post about converting a fish boat sounds interesting especially as wood is easier to "convert" as against fiberglass.

I don't know what you budget is but there are many displacement power cruisers and even sailing vessels around that provide every amenity as a live aboard with the advantage of mobility.

Go "dock walk" the marinas and talk to the yachties etc..you may even find an absentee yachtie/boat owner who needs a boat sitter..?

good luck..