Iphone Tethering / True Network

JurgenG

Yesterday I set up a new internet connection using my iPhone (3Gs) and True network in Thailand.

After going through all the steps of software updates and settings it was eventually working fine around 10:30 pm. I first tried to access my favorite web sites, both in Thailand and abroad, it worked at reasonable speed. Then I tried to download my email, it worked too and the speed was quite ok knowing I need to download some big attachments (5 to 10 MB) on a regular basis. So far it seemed to be a great improvement compared to my previous AiS connection.

But then I tried to send mails. It doesn't work. "Can't find the server". I didn't change any setting on my computer or email program and it's still working fine with all other connections (AiS, 56K modem, and my neighbor unsecure wireless network :whistling: )

Then at 11:30 pm, the connection was dropped, complete lost internet.

This morning I tried to connect again. I had to redo the setting in my iPhone (Setting / general / network / tethereing) as it was "off". Is it normal ? According to my understanding, it should be "on" and connect to the internet every time I connect the iPhone to the computer without me to have to do any new setting.

For the email, it still doesn't work

Any stupid setting I forgot ? Or is it normal? I still have my AiS card and I have always the opportunity to connect to their network to send my email even if it is usually desperately slow.

Thanks in advance

JG

Edited by JurgenG

Different issues.

Email should just work. Maybe you have some weird or unusual settings for your email on your computer. iPhone imports email settings from the computer so it should just work out of the box. Connect your iPhone to WiFi and try email - if it still doesn't work, there's something wrong with the outgoing server settings. If it does work, it's True.

Tethering is disabled per default. Enable it. It will stay enabled. When you connect your iPhone to iTunes with the True SIM inserted, it will at some point prompt you to download new service provider settings. Do that. That will enable the tethering option - though not turn it on. An maybe set some other True specific stuff, I don't know.

True 3G sent me a text saying that they're working on their network and we may see some outages.

Edit: If you are coming from AIS and things don't work, try Settings -> General -> Reset and reset network settings.

Edited by nikster

hi,

Without being able to ask you some detailed questions, let me give you a broad reply:

Tethering is used when you want to let your PC or Mac connect to the internet via your iPhone. If you are using the phone in a stand-alone fashion (which most users do) then there is no need to set up tethering. I think it is turned off by default if you have powered down the phone, so where you actually power it on then you may need to enable it manually. If you are doing normal internet browsing, then the phone will automatically switch between 3G and Edge depending on the signal available in your area, but if you have a wifi connection available, such as your neighbour's wifi point, then you can connect to that connection using the wifi preferences and you will get much better speeds.

I would advise you not to use your iPhone to tether your PC to the internet on a regular basis because there will always be little problems like lost connections, slow speeds, and of course drain on your battery. You will save a lot of headches by signing up for a proper ADSL internet package or coming to an agreement with your neighbour and have him allow you to use his wifi.

Best of luck,

Cheers

Edited by richardt1808

Thanks for the answers.

I've the answer for my 1st question. I had a 3 hours 3G free trials period that has expired. True sent me a message about it but it was in Thai... . I'm now back to EDGE.

It was working fine in Bangkok but I'm now in the country side (reason why I need a mobile phone connection). I've a very slow connection with True, can't access to any service, always disconnected from the server before the connection is established. AiS is slow but working, I can read and answer this thread, so I think I will just forget about True. and just keep my iPhone to answer call and take pictures.

Thanks again for the help, have a nice day.

I'm back to Bangkok and I decided to use True with my iPhone again because it's much faster than my AiS connection (both with EDGE). Regarding the email, I haven't solved the problem but I thought I could always send small files with MSN messenger. WRONG ! When I connect to the internet through my iPhone the function is disabled. It works fine with all the other connection as described in my first post.

What is the problem ? iPhone settings ? Or is it True that don't want users to send files (maybe the reason why the service is faster) ?